Author Topic: Thread Notifications are a few hours delayed  (Read 2624 times)

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
Thread Notifications are a few hours delayed
« on: Mon, 13 January 2014, 12:33:46 »
I'm getting notifications on new threads/posts that are delayed by hours.

Just got one for this "new" thread: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=53360 with a timestamp of 3:41 AM and has several posts replying to it.

Oddly enough, my email for new PMs is working fine and I get the email right away.
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
Re: Thread Notifications are a few hours delayed
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 13 January 2014, 12:41:42 »
I'm getting notifications on new threads/posts that are delayed by hours.

Just got one for this "new" thread: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=53360 with a timestamp of 3:41 AM and has several posts replying to it.

Oddly enough, my email for new PMs is working fine and I get the email right away.

Yeah it's pretty pointless.. I want to be notified by a thread but I get it so late that I already checked myself in view new posts..

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 13 January 2014, 12:51:00 »
I have the same problem. The posts from brocaps before and after his sale came much delayed

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 13 January 2014, 18:41:54 »
I have the same problem. The posts from brocaps before and after his sale came much delayed

:))  I just got the notification for your post now.
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 13 January 2014, 19:26:34 »
Are the thread notifications slower or faster than the forum notifications?

The thread notifications are painfully slow, not good for sales at all.

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 13 January 2014, 19:28:38 »
When I say "thread" I mean both "New Topic" and "Topic Reply" emails.  Both slow.

But something *just* changed, and they seem to be coming in timely now. Since the first notification I saw came from a comment by Dorkvader, I'm going to guess that he did something to fix this.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 13 January 2014, 19:30:22 »
When I say "thread" I mean both "New Topic" and "Topic Reply" emails.  Both slow.

But something *just* changed, and they seem to be coming in timely now. Since the first notification I saw came from a comment by Dorkvader, I'm going to guess that he did something to fix this.

The notification system might have been overloaded by the recent BroBat sale?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 09:08:25 »
This is happening again.  Notifies are about 12 hours behind.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 14:17:40 »
This is happening again.  Notifies are about 12 hours behind.

At a time when the Toxic GB has started, and BunnyLake is inundated with PMs.

Maybe again a simple case that the GH server is less efficient at distributing so many notifications, PMs etc.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ