Author Topic: HHKB Pro2 55g mod via the conic springs  (Read 3226 times)

Offline redskull

HHKB Pro2 55g mod via the conic springs
« on: Wed, 15 January 2014, 02:21:02 »
so, i've been thinking about this mod for a while now. i made some contacts with people that can manufacture springs but nothing solid yet since i haven't gave them a sample conic spring from my HHKB for them to take measurements of and no discussion yet on the minimum number of springs and pricing for required production.

basicly, i'm thinking of putting in custom springs under the 45g domes so that the keypress would feel exactly/nearly the same as their 55g bros. i am however, do not know what weight the custom springs should be to able to do this, and i do not have a 55g topre switch/board to do any comparison.

a few nights ago i took out the conic spring from the Esc key and the difference from the other keys with springs is the bottoming/landing part; the Esc key tactility feels the same but now without the 'thock' and that sound of small air pressure going out of the underside of the dome when hitting the bottom.

so i need some help figuring the custom springs weight; i'm guessing a straight 55g would do but i have a friend who is good in math said that i need to calculate the current springs weight and add 10g so the 45g dome will have that added weight totaling to the 55g keypress i am looking for.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
Re: HHKB Pro2 55g mod via the conic springs
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 15 January 2014, 02:32:27 »
The answer is 15gr :)

Offline redskull

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 15 January 2014, 02:43:31 »
The answer is 15gr :)
hi good sir,

you mean 15g for the new springs?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 15 January 2014, 02:54:51 »
I seem to remember that all topre springs are 5gr (I'll double check for you). So to go from 45gr topre to 55gr topre you need a 15gr spring.

Now.

I highly doubt that the end result would be the same, though. You'd get a 55gr topre with a different feeling compared to a standard 55gr (just an educated guess). My suggestion would be to have some sample springs done in various weights.

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 15 January 2014, 06:17:35 »
Yes as far as I know it's the domes that are 55g and they give it that feeling. So you may get a 55g but it likely won't feel the same.

Offline redskull

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 15 January 2014, 07:00:16 »
I seem to remember that all topre springs are 5gr (I'll double check for you). So to go from 45gr topre to 55gr topre you need a 15gr spring.

Now.

I highly doubt that the end result would be the same, though. You'd get a 55gr topre with a different feeling compared to a standard 55gr (just an educated guess). My suggestion would be to have some sample springs done in various weights.

Yes as far as I know it's the domes that are 55g and they give it that feeling. So you may get a 55g but it likely won't feel the same.
had this on my mind as well. a heavier spring versus the dome's own elasticity must be different, even at the same weights.

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 15 January 2014, 08:08:32 »
Very interested in this, bought an lz-fe instead of that 55g realforce.
I am bigfatmc over at other places!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 15 January 2014, 08:12:57 »
It would be pretty great if you could make springs that fit into MX switches per our discussion here.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 15 January 2014, 08:44:47 »
It would be pretty great if you could make springs that fit into MX switches per our discussion here.

Have you seen sprits groub buy? He has all sorts of crazy springs....

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 15 January 2014, 08:49:03 »

Have you seen sprits groub buy? He has all sorts of crazy springs....

I'm a little confused. What does different weighted springs (aka the standard Korean weighed springs) have to do with conical springs in my discussion?

Offline redskull

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 15 January 2014, 22:57:54 »
i'm still trying to figure out if making custom heavier springs for the HHKB would be worthwhile to have the 55g topre feel. fitting such spring in an MX switch would be very hard i guess, with the limited space inside the switch.

from what i can tell, the conic springs are progressive as per the discussion in the thread you linked sir. top half part of the press feels next to nothing, but at about 1.5mm from flat compression, the springs weight kicks in quickly. it is said to be 5g but i feel it *might* be more than that.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 01:48:48 »
I double checked. You are right. the force is not 5gr but 5cN (centinewton)... which equals to 5.09 grams :P

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 09:02:45 »
i'm still trying to figure out if making custom heavier springs for the HHKB would be worthwhile to have the 55g topre feel. fitting such spring in an MX switch would be very hard i guess, with the limited space inside the switch.

Yeah I thought that the limited space would be hard as well. But the idea is very interesting to me.

from what i can tell, the conic springs are progressive as per the discussion in the thread you linked sir. top half part of the press feels next to nothing, but at about 1.5mm from flat compression, the springs weight kicks in quickly. it is said to be 5g but i feel it *might* be more than that.

That's how I understand it as well.

Offline redskull

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 06:09:52 »
I double checked. You are right. the force is not 5gr but 5cN (centinewton)... which equals to 5.09 grams :P
:D alright. 15g it is, and probably i will see if they can make 55g conic springs as well. you know, just for the lulz of trying it.  ;D