Author Topic: Layer Toggling Keycap Idea  (Read 1382 times)

Offline thegagne

Layer Toggling Keycap Idea
« on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 08:46:09 »
Hey guys, I'm super looking forward to GH60 later this year, and also watching the GH40 unfold.  It seems with these smaller keyboards being able to use extra function layers is very important to do everything you need to do, and part of the fun is coming up with your own useful layers.

Maybe this idea has already come up, but if not, what do you guys think about a specialized keycap for toggling layers?

If all you have is one extra layer you could of course just repurpose the caps lock key. But what if you have extra function layers? Numpad, FKeys, Macros, keyboard language toggle, etc.

Idea #1 - multiple mini LED windows -
Could possibly fit 4 LEDs into one normal size window? Or better yet, add more windows (may run into space problems)

Idea #2 - color change LED window - different colors different layers. Kind of garish for us beige loving folk.

Idea #3 - Custom digital led readout on top of key or built into case (think casio watch)

Thoughts? Has this been done?

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
Re: Layer Toggling Keycap Idea
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 11:12:39 »
For inside switch/keycap, you would be limited to 3 states if firmware can support bicolor positive/negative led type off/color1/color2. Having it in the case somewhere would be most viable I think. That way you could have as many led as you need for layer. For existing case could drill to place led on the front edge for example under the Control key...

Offline thegagne

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 21:18:01 »
I think multiple lock-style LEDs in the case would be a good solution. Has anyone done that?

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 14:43:54 »
I recall seeing some model of matrix, probably an Access IS that had like 3 led in the case side to indicate layers. Can't really think of much anything else though.

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 14:47:32 »
I have had thoughts of printing keycaps which allow for LEDs to be mounted straight in them, and then run two wires beside the switch house down to the PCB. I wonder if one could even add a small segmented display to the cap of one of the larger keys. Hmm

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 16:16:28 »
Oh, putting a single 7segment would be pretty cool, very straight forward and should be enough for most to show multiple layer selection. Not sure about as a key though, most of them are pretty thick it would be difficult to implement.
Could even be a little bit of 'bling' if you used one of the fancier ones...