Author Topic: n-key or no n-key?  (Read 2111 times)

Offline noinimod

n-key or no n-key?
« on: Sun, 15 February 2009, 05:06:13 »
Hi guys, i'm new to this community and i can't say how happy i am to have found this site; i would have bought the steelseries 7g otherwise and be a sad man. Anyway, i've lurked around and done a fair bit of reading here, and i think i've narrowed my choices down to this two,

http://www.diatec.co.jp/en/det.php?prod_c=371
http://www.diatec.co.jp/en/det.php?prod_c=522

If i get the model without the n-key rollover function, would that mean the keyboard's incapable of registering multiple key presses? Not at all? Presumably, the only difference between those two models is the n-key rollover function right?
Cos the price difference between the two is quite a sum, so any bit of money saved is nice.

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
n-key or no n-key?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 15 February 2009, 10:36:29 »
It can register some patterns of multiple keypresses, and almost all keyboards can register at least 2 keypresses at the same time.

N-key rollover means that it can register when you press every single key on the keyboard at the same time.

Offline namelessguy

n-key or no n-key?
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 15 February 2009, 11:39:24 »
I don't think that SteelSeries 7G is worthless, especially if you like the "linear switch" touch, although in Japan it's only "slightly above average" keyboard thanks to the transit expenses.
(And same applies to Filco keyboards outside Japan, I guess)

Well, back on to the topic.
Most PC keyboards are just 2-key rollover capable, which means you can resister 2 key inputs at the same time without problem, regardless of combination of the key.
And of course you can resister certain key inputs regardless of specifications on paper, like all PC keyboards should have no problem with ctrl+alt+del.
But advertising for cheaper keyboards ends here; when you play some computer game, there's good chance that the key combinations you want just don't work. Like, you press up and right arrow keys to move, space bar to open fire, and then press "t" for targeting and it doesn't.

If you are a good touch typer you may want a 3-key rollover to avoid "jamming" but the incapability of the keyboard should not be a major problem.
If your typing is extremely fast, you probably need to resister 3-4 key inputs at the same time.
If you are an FPS gamer, you may need 5 or 6 simultaneous key inputs.
And, if you are a dedicated and serious MMO player (World of Warcraft, for instance) you may need 8 or 9 keys at the same time, where most USB keyboards fail, though you can still use modifier keys to 7 or 8 inputs.
If you need to input Braille with your keyboard, 6-key rollover is sufficient, but actually it needs only one fixed combination and non n-key rollover keyboards have good chance to be Braille-capable (like Microsoft Digital Media Pro Keyboard, which is no good on games).

I personally recommend n-key rollover ones because they have apparent superiority on functionality, but if you are just average touch typer who don't play games and have no business with Braille or whatsoever, then it may be unwise to pay additional cost for uncalled extras.

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
n-key or no n-key?
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 15 February 2009, 12:23:57 »
Another couple examples, the IBM Model M (but NOT the Unicomp boards) and the Ione Scorpius M10 are both 2-key rollover, but SDFJKL, the keys used in brailling, work fine.

Offline Homeless

n-key or no n-key?
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 15 February 2009, 16:26:27 »
The steelseries 7g is actually one of the better keyboard in the lower $100 price range.  True that it's no realforce, but it's not terrible

Offline pex

n-key or no n-key?
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 16 February 2009, 19:17:12 »
Quote from: namelessguy;21782
And, if you are a dedicated and serious MMO player (World of Warcraft, for instance) you may need 8 or 9 keys at the same time, where most USB keyboards fail, though you can still use modifier keys to 7 or 8 inputs.

I thought teh_pwnerer said you only need like 1 or 2 keys to play WoW.
Ж®Cherry G80-8113 (someday I hope to have one that reads magstripes, rfid cards, and smartcards), broken \'98 42H1292 Model M, some other Model M from a decade before that, 30 more keyboards in a box, 4 more lying here or there
Destroying Sanctity: my Model M project. Status: Dead.