Author Topic: Smartphone with tactile keyboard  (Read 3028 times)

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
Smartphone with tactile keyboard
« on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 21:45:34 »
One of the things that drives me nuts on by the my iPhone and my Android is the on screen keyboard.  I am SO SLOW on it because of the keyboard and I basically live half my life in email, so its a huge quality of life issue for me.  Not to mention that I am so sick of the iOS that I could put it through a wall, but thats a different topic altogether.

Are any of you refusing to give up a tactile keyboard?  If so, what is the best phone with a tactile keyboard right now?  No flame wars, just good ol' fashion tell it like it is.  :)

I am looking at the BlackBerry Q10 right now.  It covers most of the standard features of a smartphone and the hardware is consistent with the average in the market.  I have never tried their OS 10 (well any blackberry for that better), so I would be interested to hear some opinions regarding it.  I don't care about apps for the most part (other than browser and email), so the fact that it does not have as many apps is fine (maybe even a bonus).

What else is there that could potentially be better than the BB Q10?

Offline nuclearsandwich

Re: Smartphone with tactile keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 22:21:14 »
Blackberry should probably not even be considered a smartphone anymore.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 22:50:25 »

You going to back that up with something useful, like a comparison of ANY kind?

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 22:53:18 »
Vibration whenever you press a key? I'm not actually sure if iPhones have it but I know for sure that Androids do. Then again I barely use it as I am mostly a swype user and tactile feedback is useless to me.
Keyboards Owned:

Realforce Topre 91 Key JIS Profile - Main
CM Quickfire Rapid Blue Switches
IBM Model M in Industrial Shell

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 22:56:32 »

Vibration whenever you press a key? I'm not actually sure if iPhones have it but I know for sure that Androids do. Then again I barely use it as I am mostly a swype user and tactile feedback is useless to me.

Vibrate does not really help me because I would prefer to just rest my fingers on the keyboard and touch type. It's the fact that I can't touch the keyboard without it typing something which is my main issue.

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 23:34:10 »

You going to back that up with something useful, like a comparison of ANY kind?

Ugh, but I was only in it for the cheap laugh.

It honestly depends on what you consider a smart phone. For clarity's sake I will refer to anything post-iPhone as a space phone. This is necessary because the iPhone shook things up like whoa. Smartphones let IT managers get detailed on-call notices instead of pages. Space phones let you ssh into the server and fix the problem.

The Blackberry ecosystem has been declining steadily since the release of iOS and Android because they really lack the ability to build consumer grade devices.

Peep this sales share chart from wikipedia.

Blackberry (shown as RIM above) has been in steady decline since 2010 and it was even overtaken by Windows Phone in 2013.

When you combine this with RIM's grim financials it doesn't paint a picture of a desirable device.

I'm not at the school library so I can't grab the Gartner data for developer market share but I do know that of all the developers I know, none are thinking about Blackberry as a worthwhile target platform. Even the RIM employs I know just chuckle then sob gently into their beer when thinking about the future of the company and the present of Blackberry.

I'd personally rather learn to "touch tap" using an input system like 8pen than compromise the entire operating system of my primary device for 18 months to get a keyboard and I used my G2 Android phone until it was beyond repair.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 00:23:21 »
Thanks for the write up.  I understand that I would be giving up some things for a tactile keyboard, but I am prepared for that.  The smaller app market is actually a feature to me in some ways. Sifting through 3000 potential apps to solve my problem on the iphone is retardedly annoying. I didn't find android as bad. No forward in the browser on my Nexus S was pretty annoying though. Also the fact that the Nexus S was not compiled with tunlib was super annoying because it did not support VPN tunnels (and I live in the command line).

So is something like a Motorola slide out keyboard better now days than a BB?  Most of them have ancient android versions though from wat I have seen.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 02:17:04 »
The only phone with decent specs AND a hardware keyboard is the BlackBerry Q10. An interesting related news item: http://www.gsmarena.com/blackberry_ceo_says_most_new_phones_will_have_keyboards-news-7516.php

So, it seems at least the next wave of BB devices will also sport keyboards. It's a niche market, but it exists. A good way to differentiate themselves. I see them selling primarily to business people who have a second personal phone. BB for business and emails, touchscreen Android or iOS device for personal.

On the other hand, a smartphone keyboard is really not suited to touch typing. Using more than two fingers (or thumbs) is really awkward. A better option may be a good Android device (Galaxy S4 or Note 3 for example) and a JDCarpe 40% keyboard (the Smallfry board) :) The newer Samsungs (and probably some other brands) support external USB peripherals such as mice and keyboards. May be a bit big for a jacket pocket, however.

(warning, going off-topic now)

I love phones with physical QWERTY keyboards. I have owned a few: Sony Ericsson P900, P910, Xperia X1, Nokia E63, N900. Four of those also have a usable stylus, which is great for taking handwritten notes with sketches as I am wont to do.

The last phone I had with a physical keyboard was the Nokia N900. Loved that thing. So hackable, had mine running 50% overclocked (which it needed, TBH) and it had a decent fully open Linux build on it. Mini PC. I was working in Nokia and waiting for the N950 to be released so I could get it as a company phone, but... Got delayed many times and eventually cancelled as a public device. Then they released the N9 (no keyboard) and I was "rather disappointed". The whole MeeGo project was then cancelled when Stephen Flop took over the helm.

I got a Samsung Galaxy Note instead. Currently using a Note 2. Mainly because of the stylus (pressure sensitive and very accurate) and display size.

Jolla (started by ex-Nokia engineers) have kept the open source OS flame burning with their system and phone (which is selling very well in Europe and particularly in Finland, better than any individual Apple model), but it doesn't have a hardware keyboard (or stylus). I hope the next model does. It helps that they have Android compatibility.

(back on topic again)

Many Android browsers do support forward buttons (Boat, Dolphin, Firefox). I like Boat, personally.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 07:40:09 »

The only phone with decent specs AND a hardware keyboard is the BlackBerry Q10. An interesting related news item: http://www.gsmarena.com/blackberry_ceo_says_most_new_phones_will_have_keyboards-news-7516.php

So, it seems at least the next wave of BB devices will also sport keyboards. It's a niche market, but it exists. A good way to differentiate themselves. I see them selling primarily to business people who have a second personal phone. BB for business and emails, touchscreen Android or iOS device for personal.

On the other hand, a smartphone keyboard is really not suited to touch typing. Using more than two fingers (or thumbs) is really awkward. A better option may be a good Android device (Galaxy S4 or Note 3 for example) and a JDCarpe 40% keyboard (the Smallfry board) :) The newer Samsungs (and probably some other brands) support external USB peripherals such as mice and keyboards. May be a bit big for a jacket pocket, however.

(warning, going off-topic now)

I love phones with physical QWERTY keyboards. I have owned a few: Sony Ericsson P900, P910, Xperia X1, Nokia E63, N900. Four of those also have a usable stylus, which is great for taking handwritten notes with sketches as I am wont to do.

The last phone I had with a physical keyboard was the Nokia N900. Loved that thing. So hackable, had mine running 50% overclocked (which it needed, TBH) and it had a decent fully open Linux build on it. Mini PC. I was working in Nokia and waiting for the N950 to be released so I could get it as a company phone, but... Got delayed many times and eventually cancelled as a public device. Then they released the N9 (no keyboard) and I was "rather disappointed". The whole MeeGo project was then cancelled when Stephen Flop took over the helm.

I got a Samsung Galaxy Note instead. Currently using a Note 2. Mainly because of the stylus (pressure sensitive and very accurate) and display size.

Jolla (started by ex-Nokia engineers) have kept the open source OS flame burning with their system and phone (which is selling very well in Europe and particularly in Finland, better than any individual Apple model), but it doesn't have a hardware keyboard (or stylus). I hope the next model does. It helps that they have Android compatibility.

(back on topic again)

Many Android browsers do support forward buttons (Boat, Dolphin, Firefox). I like Boat, personally.

Thanks for the great response.

By touch type on a smartphone I basically mean two thumbs, but not looking at the keyboard.

I am curious to see how QNX works itself into the BB offering.

I hope BB can survive the OS wars, but only time will tell.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 09:10:02 »
The new blackberry has Qt and supports Android apps IIRC.

Jolla ought to have the other half (that is e.g. a hw keyboard) soon.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 09:51:09 »
The new blackberry has Qt and supports Android apps IIRC.

Jolla ought to have the other half (that is e.g. a hw keyboard) soon.

Cool! Didn't know BB had Qt and Android support!

I see the Jolla has I2C pins on the back, here's hoping the keyboard is made soon. I think it's a great design, lovely concept, the modular rear panel thing. Right now it's not really been exploited like it could be. All kinds of peripherals can be incorporated into back panels made by third parties.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline osi

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 10:19:19 »
Q10 FTW! Yes, you can sideload android apps. I've had android handsets with a physical keyboard. Nothing can match a BB keyboard.

In fact, the BB keyboard is loved so much, a copycat version was created that works with the iphone. It's called the Typo keyboard and connects via bluetooth. If you are interested though, I would order one fast as Blackberry is suing the company behind the typo.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 12:44:40 »
Q10 FTW! Yes, you can sideload android apps. I've had android handsets with a physical keyboard. Nothing can match a BB keyboard.

In fact, the BB keyboard is loved so much, a copycat version was created that works with the iphone. It's called the Typo keyboard and connects via bluetooth. If you are interested though, I would order one fast as Blackberry is suing the company behind the typo.

Ya I know.  They are currently getting sued by BB though, so I would not expect much support going forward.  Also, the iOS has some pretty annoying issues with a hardware keyboard apparently (from reading reviews).  I HATE iOS, so that is not really an option for me.  I had an iPhone 3(something) and it was good to start and then just started to suck.  I switched to Android (Google Nexus S), was happy with it for the most part till it started failing hardware wise.  Since I had a baby and everyone raves about the iPhone camera, I got the iPhone 4S and I remember why I hate the iOS.  After working on the Android for a little while I thought that my hate for iOS was just all in my head, so I gave it another shot.  Nope, not just in my head, I can't stand iOS.  Damn thing freezes for like 30 seconds randomly (like between checking two emails) and that sort of thing ALL THE TIME.  So ****ing annoying.  I can't wait to get rid of this garbage...

Sorry, /rant...

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 12:49:31 »
First smartphone I owned was the OG Motorola Droid. I'm on a Droid 4 right now. I really like the keyboard and it's a decent phone.

But I'm not a huge fan of the version of Android that comes stock on the 4. I'm going to be rooting the phone and putting a new OS on it this weekend though so hopefully I'll like it better when it comes out.

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 12:55:57 »
There's a chance that the LG Optimus F3Q could come to Canada . It's only 4" WVGA (480 res), dual-core 1.2GHz CPU, 2,460mAh battery, but it'll have a slide out keyboard :)

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 13:01:53 »
First smartphone I owned was the OG Motorola Droid. I'm on a Droid 4 right now. I really like the keyboard and it's a decent phone.

But I'm not a huge fan of the version of Android that comes stock on the 4. I'm going to be rooting the phone and putting a new OS on it this weekend though so hopefully I'll like it better when it comes out.

Ya my main concern with most of the slide out androids is the version of Android installed.  Some are even as outdated as Gingerbread.  Damn...

I was looking at a couple of the Motorolas, but I can't get them in Canada...  The Motorola Photon Q looks interesting and gets good reviews.  We will see if any of them make it to Canada...

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 13:03:06 »
There's a chance that the LG Optimus F3Q could come to Canada . It's only 4" WVGA (480 res), dual-core 1.2GHz CPU, 2,460mAh battery, but it'll have a slide out keyboard :)

Show Image

Ya, I find the specs are not great in comparison with something like the BB Q10.  Also, its very annoying that it takes forever for stuff to get introduced in Canada, we are always way behind the curve on getting the latest phone technology.  But I can get a BB Q10 (maybe thats because they are a Canadian company?).

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 13:10:24 »
Ya, I find the specs are not great in comparison with something like the BB Q10.  Also, its very annoying that it takes forever for stuff to get introduced in Canada, we are always way behind the curve on getting the latest phone technology.  But I can get a BB Q10 (maybe thats because they are a Canadian company?).

The resolution sure, but if I only had a choice between the two, I'd rather have Snapdragon 400/Adreno 305 (Most likely what the F3Q will have) than the Q10's very old Snapdragon S4 Plus MSM8960/Adreno 225 combo. That said, I agree with you on the bit about how things lag their way to Canada.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 13:16:17 »

The resolution sure, but if I only had a choice between the two, I'd rather have Snapdragon 400/Adreno 305 (Most likely what the F3Q will have) than the Q10's very old Snapdragon S4 Plus MSM8960/Adreno 225 combo. That said, I agree with you on the bit about how things lag their way to Canada.

Ya fair enough.  I find that many of the competing phones only have 1Gb of RAM (not talking about flash storage here).  Most of the newer phones have 2Gb of RAM.  I think that will make a big difference as well given how memory hungry so many apps are now days...

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 13:17:38 »
I think the thing that buggs me the most about typing on my iphone is that the phone is too narrow... but that could just be me

Offline osi

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 13:39:49 »

Newer/better innards don't always correlate with a better user experience.

I'm not really sure when BlackBerry will release the next iteration of the physical keyboard lineup. Hell, I don't even think that company knows when they will release a new product.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 13:50:55 »

Newer/better innards don't always correlate with a better user experience.

I'm not really sure when BlackBerry will release the next iteration of the physical keyboard lineup. Hell, I don't even think that company knows when they will release a new product.

Ya, this is true.  If you look at some of the top reviewed phones, many of them are actually slightly behind the curve on both OS version and hardware.  More stable and known environments probably contribute to that.  Also, I think companies try to take advantage of the 'better hardware' too much.  They add all sorts of software (bloatware) just because the 'new hardware can handle it'.  This often backfires and you end up with something that isn't even stable.  I do not have a concrete example in mind, but I know this happens (being a software developer, I have to be aware of such thing  :) ).