Author Topic: issues with KiCad  (Read 2009 times)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
issues with KiCad
« on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 15:32:11 »
Anyone have any issues with KiCad on Windows 8.1?  I have tried the compatibility mode for 8, 7, Vista, and XP and none work.  It will load and when I click on new to start a new project it lets me put in a name for the file.  I then click OK and it crashes there everytime.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline regack

Re: issues with KiCad
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 15:46:41 »
Anyone have any issues with KiCad on Windows 8.1?  I have tried the compatibility mode for 8, 7, Vista, and XP and none work.  It will load and when I click on new to start a new project it lets me put in a name for the file.  I then click OK and it crashes there everytime.

I've had that problem, I never really resolved it directly :  I duplicated an existing project, deleted everything but the .pro .sch and -cache.lib, opened it, and deleted everything out of the schematic... then just continued from there.

If you rename all of the files, it should find them all and be ok after that.

ie: rename regack.pro, regack.sch, regack-cache.lib to melvang.pro, melvang.sch, melvang-cache.lib

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 16:04:50 »
The problem though is I don't get into the program far enough to even get files created.

Edit:  I think I got it.  I just deleted everything and reinstalled onto my C drive instead of the D drive.  So I am making progress.  Now to learn how to use this thing.
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 January 2014, 16:06:36 by Melvang »
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 17:56:24 »

The problem though is I don't get into the program far enough to even get files created.

Edit:  I think I got it.  I just deleted everything and reinstalled onto my C drive instead of the D drive.  So I am making progress.  Now to learn how to use this thing.

Haha. Ya I have been meaning to learn it as well. Still have not dedicated the time.

Offline regack

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 18:22:32 »
Well, it's a bit old, but the tutorial stuff bpiphany put together still has some useful stuff in it : https://github.com/BathroomEpiphanies/KiCAD-Keyboard-Tutorial

Also, there's a bunch of stuff in this old deskthority thread where he was helping index through some stuff : http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/need-help-with-cherry-pcb-t3538.html

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 20:58:49 »
Thanks for those link regack.  I have looked at the DT wiki page and while does have some good info I just about need a click by click tutorial for at least a basic part so I understand the entire work flow from beginning to end.  As this will be my first time using the software.