Author Topic: ibm m2-1 trackball problems  (Read 2359 times)

Offline tedji

ibm m2-1 trackball problems
« on: Mon, 16 February 2009, 19:33:39 »
hello,

I just got an ibm m5-1 trackball keyboard. The keyboard works fine with my home pc (dell win-xp) except when I hook it to a pc at work (dell win-xp's) the computer either don't boot up or the mouse cursor doesn't move. All work fine with the mouse-jack disconnected. Any suggestions what may be the cause of the problems.

The keyboard is much better than the stock dell keyboard!

Thanks,

Ted

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 16 February 2009, 20:42:49 »
Won't boot up? WEIRD. I'm suspecting current draw might be too high or something. I'd use two PS/2->USB adapters, one for the keyboard, one for the mouse, and plug the mouse one in first. (Or, use one for the mouse, and just use PS/2 for the keyboard.)

Offline tedji

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 16 February 2009, 21:32:37 »
It just hangs after partly going through the bootup process. I have a ps2-usb converter on order and I will try it out for the mouse and will post the results.

Offline tedji

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 24 February 2009, 15:37:53 »
Just wanted to let you know that the PS2 to USB converter did the trick. I had similar problems with a Ibm M mini keyboard too. The seller said he had no problems what-so-ever with the mini on his pc.

ted

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 26 February 2009, 15:55:25 »
I saw the "M2-1" in the title and began to wonder if IBM had a trackball version of the Model M2. Oh well :p

Offline bigpook

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 26 February 2009, 16:05:49 »
Quote from: tedji;22651
Just wanted to let you know that the PS2 to USB converter did the trick. I had similar problems with a Ibm M mini keyboard too. The seller said he had no problems what-so-ever with the mini on his pc.

ted

Which ps2 to usb converter did you use? And are you going through a KVM?
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline tedji

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 26 February 2009, 16:59:40 »
I should be more precise:

I am using a straight connection; ps2 into converter and into usb port. I got the converter from clickyboards.

Ibm Model M
------------
I got it working on a dell at home but was picky about the specific usb port. Got it working on a dell server at work with the converter.

Ibm Model M5-1
---------------
The mouseball is the problem.

The keyboard plug by itself works fine with a dell poweredge server. I tried connecting the mouseball ps2 into the converter into usb port and this didn't work. I am waiting for a ps2 to usb y-connector so I can connect both ps2 into one usb port and see if it works.

I plugged in the keyboard into a dell dimension 350 at work and the keyboard only works with the converter. The mouseball will not work with the converter.

The keyboard and the mouseball ps2 plugs works with my dell dimension machine at home; no converter needed.

The results seem erratic I am new at this; but, I am glad at least the keyboards work and I hope the y-connector will do the trick.