Author Topic: Awesome Mouse...  (Read 2551 times)

Offline 127001

Awesome Mouse...
« on: Sun, 19 January 2014, 22:01:58 »

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
Re: Awesome Mouse...
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 19 January 2014, 22:41:43 »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261375983514

With an awe-ful price.

$149 for something untested, unergonomic, and probably unusable and there is a bidder already? So the next bidder has to go to $151.50?

Geekhack is really a godsend for people with ancient crap to sell. I almost think it is funded by a consortium of e-scrap vendors and recyclers who hope to gather all geeks in the same place for the purposes of promoting their obsolete stuff as collectibles.

Let's see, in 2030-2040, a 1984 untested Model F should be worth a few hundred thousand at current rates of inflation.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline neunelfer

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 19 January 2014, 22:48:38 »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261375983514

With an awe-ful price.

$149 for something untested, unergonomic, and probably unusable and there is a bidder already? So the next bidder has to go to $151.50?

Geekhack is really a godsend for people with ancient crap to sell. I almost think it is funded by a consortium of e-scrap vendors and recyclers who hope to gather all geeks in the same place for the purposes of promoting their obsolete stuff as collectibles.

Let's see, in 2030-2040, a 1984 untested Model F should be worth a few hundred thousand at current rates of inflation.

It's a rare collectible...

Offline Thechemist

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 19 January 2014, 22:53:24 »
Why buy a house in 10 years when you can buy a Model F, keyboards...the next bubble.  ;)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 07:45:40 »
I have an IBM mouse with a trackpoint between the buttons instead of a scroll wheel, that I would sell for a fraction of this price.

IIRC, the trackpoint was not working properly, there is only a single PS/2 cable connector.
“This isn’t the same Trump that got elected in 2016, he’s worse.”
“Something snapped in this guy — for real — when he lost in 2020,” Biden said, suggesting the former president was “unhinged” and was the driving force behind a mob of his supporters overrunning the US Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021."
“He can’t accept the fact that he lost, it’s literally driving him crazy,” Biden said.
He added that the former president “wants to terminate the Constitution” and “says if he loses there will be a bloodbath in America.”
“What kind of man is this?”  Biden asked. — June 3, 2024

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 08:03:34 »
I have an IBM mouse with a trackpoint between the buttons instead of a scroll wheel, that I would sell for a fraction of this price.

IIRC, the trackpoint was not working properly, there is only a single PS/2 cable connector.

Hear, hear!

Beware, guys. What Fohat cannot fix, not many people can fix...

That said, mind giving us photos, Fohat? I have never seen a mouse with a separate trackpoint before. All trackpoints I've ever seen were fixed on keyboards.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline 127001

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 08:18:10 »
Didn't mean to make people so mad  :P...

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 08:54:19 »
That said, mind giving us photos, Fohat? I have never seen a mouse with a separate trackpoint before. All trackpoints I've ever seen were fixed on keyboards.

Here you go. I got it with a keyboard.

It is a ball mouse, and I have never opened it up or tried to fix it. If it needed a driver for the pointer, I did not have it.

It may well even have worked properly all along, and I just did not have a driver for the optional bits.

$5 + shipping for anybody who wants it.

« Last Edit: Mon, 20 January 2014, 10:24:00 by fohat.digs »
“Something snapped in this guy — for real — when he lost in 2020,” Biden said, suggesting the former president was “unhinged” and was the driving force behind a mob of his supporters overrunning the US Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021."
“He can’t accept the fact that he lost, it’s literally driving him crazy,” Biden said.
He added that the former president “wants to terminate the Constitution” and “says if he loses there will be a bloodbath in America.”

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 10:27:54 »

Here you go. It is a ball mouse, and I have never opened it up or tried to fix it. It may even work properly anyway, and I just did not have a driver for the optional bits.

Ah, ok! I have seen mice like this before. Just didn't realize that wasn't a third button but a trackpoint. I wonder if anyone can give information on how these work.

To be frank with you fohat, if that was a modern optical usb mouse with a trackpoint, I would really be buying it for 50 and above. Would be happy to pick up such a mouse NIB for 80. The basic principle, which is that you can move the cursor with minimal movement of your hand, is sound. The only problem is whether you can do it effectively on a modern 1920x1200 screen when the trackpoint is so tiny. I suspect older models of this mouse would be all but useless on monitors bigger than 800x600.

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 10:49:10 »

It is a ball mouse, and I have never opened it up or tried to fix it. If it needed a driver for the pointer, I did not have it.

It may well even have worked properly all along, and I just did not have a driver for the optional bits.

I have two of these.   Was going to take them apart and use the trackpoint in a mod, haven't gotten around to it...

Plugging it in via a USB converter, the trackpoint acts like a scrollwheel, not a trackpoint.  Hover the pointer over a webpage, pull the pointer toward you, it scrolls down, etc.

I don't know if you got a different driver for it if it would act like a true trackpoint.
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline 127001

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 11:13:54 »
You guys understand there's a big difference between the mouse I've posted and the ones you're talking about right?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 11:39:55 »
You guys understand there's a big difference between the mouse I've posted and the ones you're talking about right?

Are you saying that a 15-year-old ball mouse that does not work properly is not awesome?

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 11:48:43 »
I have the green-eyed mouse and interface card. It's definitely neat.

To the right person it might be worth $150...but while they are uncommon, they are not "rare" enough to be commanding these prices quite yet. Maybe because it includes the book...
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 11:54:27 »

I have two of these.   Was going to take them apart and use the trackpoint in a mod, haven't gotten around to it...

Plugging it in via a USB converter, the trackpoint acts like a scrollwheel, not a trackpoint.  Hover the pointer over a webpage, pull the pointer toward you, it scrolls down, etc.

I don't know if you got a different driver for it if it would act like a true trackpoint.

And just recalled - IBM called it a "scrollpoint mouse" not a "trackpoint mouse" further reinforcing its intended usage.

There is an optical version, but the pointer is a short and wide, not like a trackpoint.  Have one of those too, worse feel to it than the trackpoint-ish one.
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 January 2014, 11:58:27 by E TwentyNine »
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 13:11:53 »
I have the green-eyed mouse and interface card. It's definitely neat.

To the right person it might be worth $150...but while they are uncommon, they are not "rare" enough to be commanding these prices quite yet. Maybe because it includes the book...

on which some vandal had scrawled his name: William Gates