Author Topic: Can denture cleanser potentially damage caps?  (Read 1364 times)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Can denture cleanser potentially damage caps?
« on: Sun, 19 January 2014, 23:32:49 »
I have this Stain Away Denture Cleanser that I've used on caps before, but I'm worried that the abrasivness could potentially damage some of my more pricey caps like Clacks. Any info on this?

Yes, I use my Clacks on my daily driver. Deal with it  :cool:

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Can denture cleanser potentially damage caps?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 06:45:54 »
I would consult the manufacturer and see if he has any thoughts on that...:D

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 07:11:21 »
Powdered laundry detergent has ALWAYS worked perfectly for me, and must be cheaper, easier, and safer than harsher chemicals.

I use a spoonful of "Charlies" soap with a quarter spoon of "Oxi-clean" in a liter of hot water for 5-20 minutes and that is plenty.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 07:24:27 »
I think it will depend heavily on which plastic and legend it is. Different dyes might bleach or dissolve differently. In the case of clacks I am sure he has changed the composition to improve it over time. The translucent ones are probably a very different plastic for example. That said, I think the risks are low with denture tabs and if you want you can take a small swab on the inside of the cap and see if you affect the plastic at all, and if it does, you haven't completely destroyed it.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 09:27:59 »
There is also hydrogen peroxide in the tabs I use, but I don't think that such a small amount should have any measurable effect.
🍉

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 10:29:31 »
I've heard that it can really do bad things, but I've never tested it.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 10:51:12 »
I've used Oxy-Clean and generic oxy-clean (probably same stuff) and that works…it can bleach a darker plastic. I used on ABS doubleshots Qwerty that also have a small Dvorak legend somehow printed on the key as well, there was no damage to the printed on legend.

Easy and cheap, can't argue with that.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 13:17:32 »
I've cleaned my Clacks and other caps multiple times with denture tabs. I haven't had any issues.