Author Topic: I'm in a dilemma.. help me please!  (Read 1737 times)

Offline noinimod

I'm in a dilemma.. help me please!
« on: Tue, 17 February 2009, 10:34:38 »
So.. my original plan of getting a filco is kinda 'scraped', or at least put on hold for the time being. it's gonna cost a bomb, much more than i thought, for me to bring in a filco for myself.. and i'm just not prepared to shell out that much dough

Then i read about the ABS M1 in the various threads here and they've all been rather positive. Coupled with the fact that i actually do have a friend in the states who can help me get the board and ship it over without incurring extra agent/commission fees makes this board very very reasonably priced.

The way i see it, going with the ABS M1 can't be that bad a decision, right? It almost sounds like i'm convincing myself that i'm making a right choice, but really, there's not that much info on mech keyboards other than this site.. or at least in english, making it a challenge to actually find useful info.

60USD with free shipping for the ABS.. or 150USD for the filco?

Btw, was it ever confirmed what switches the ABS use? I've seen some people say it uses alps, and some say it's just the clone, so is there any decisive word on it? Also, how's the noise level compared to the brown cherries?

Offline xyzzy

I'm in a dilemma.. help me please!
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 17 February 2009, 11:06:10 »
Quote from: noinimod;21965
I've seen some people say it uses alps, and some say it's just the clone, so is there any decisive word on it?

Real Alps switches have been discontinued for years, you won't find them in any new keyboard. The ABS M1 uses fake/cloned Alps switches.

IBM Model F62 (Ellipse's) • PFU HHKB Pro Type S Hybrid • PFU HHKB Pro • Leopold FC660C • IBM Model M SSK 1391472 • IBM Model M SSK UNI04C6 • IBM Model M 1391405 (x4) • Cherry MX 1800 Compact (blue Cherry) • Cherry MX 11900 Touchboard (brown Cherry) • Dell AT102W (black Alps) • Apple Extended Keyboard II (cream Alps) • Acer 6312-TA (black Acer) • Unikey KWD-601 (white Cherry)