Author Topic: Is the height of Spacesaver lower than Customizer / 139401?  (Read 4038 times)

Offline MANISH7

Is the height of Spacesaver lower than Customizer / 139401?
« on: Tue, 17 February 2009, 17:31:43 »
Hi guys,

I use a mouse bridge over the numeric portion of my Unicomp Customizer 101 keyboard. I can't move the mouse bridge over the

insert     home     page up
delete    end     page down

because that area has top keys (print screen, scroll lock, pause break). That top layer of keys is a tad too high to put the mouse bridge over otherwise the keys get pressed.

Therefore, I'm wondering if the Spacesaver (or any other Unicomp model) is slightly lower than the Customizer (or #139401 for you vintage owners out there) since its top is shortened. This way I can put the mouse bridge over the said keys and easily move it around without it bumping into keys when I need to access to a key like Delete. I drilled a hole in the front of my mouse brige so that the PS2 cable doesn't get pinched.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 May 2009, 09:24:45 by MANISH7 »

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 17 February 2009, 23:06:41 »
My EnduraPro (identical except for the pointing stick to a SpaceSaver) is the same height as a 1391401.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 17 February 2009, 23:13:09 »
manish where did you get the mouse bridge from? I was looking for something like that, I always have trouble locating one.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline ozar

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 17 February 2009, 23:40:26 »
Quote from: wellington1869;22008
I was looking for something like that, I always have trouble locating one.

Google "mouse bridge" and you'll get lots of hits for them.

I've been thinking about getting one myself because most of my keyboards have 10-key number pads that I never use.

Offline MANISH7

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 17 February 2009, 23:48:08 »
Quote from: wellington1869;22008
manish where did you get the mouse bridge from? I was looking for something like that, I always have trouble locating one.

http://www.kareproducts.com/standard-mouse-bridge-p-1132.html

Edit: I had posted this recommendation a few weeks ago but now I recommend something else. Go for the height adjustable from Airtech for the same price.
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 May 2009, 09:29:46 by MANISH7 »

Offline MANISH7

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 17 February 2009, 23:49:49 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;22007
My EnduraPro (identical except for the pointing stick to a SpaceSaver) is the same height as a 1391401.

thank you! answered my question. :)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 17 February 2009, 23:53:09 »
Great name MANISH7. I dig it.

Offline MANISH7

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 17 February 2009, 23:59:26 »
Quote from: xsphat;22016
Great name MANISH7. I dig it.

:D

Offline ed_

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 18 February 2009, 00:31:42 »
Would removing the keycaps give you the needed clearance?

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 18 February 2009, 02:15:09 »

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline MANISH7

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 18 February 2009, 07:45:12 »
Edited / Updated: Guys, I just realized today that height adjustable mouse bridges are also available out there. These mouse bridges are specifically designed for keyboards like mine which are (1) higher than typical keyboards (2) have PS2 / USB cord coming out from the right near the numeric portion where you place the mouse bridge. This was the kind of product I was looking for when I started this thread! This would be the best solution.

On the phone I spoke to Mr. Ken Thompson (President of AirTech). He was a friendly, helpful fellow. Just like Unicomp, these guys seem to be a respectable, small company.

Link to the mouse bridge I ordered!

Update 5/04/09:

the height adjustable mechanism takes away 1 cm from the width of the mouse bridge. as a result, the 139401 and the Unicomp Customizer are 1 cm too wide for that particular mouse bridge.

you can do: unicomp spacesaver with a height adjustable mouse bridge.

or you can still fit the height adjustable over the model m but it'll be trickier. just unscrew the legs of the height adjustable mouse bridge. it is decently stable imo although ymmv.

Hope you can see from the pics that the bridge is too narrow yet I still can rest it over the keyboard.
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 May 2009, 09:25:53 by MANISH7 »

Offline FKSSR

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 06 March 2009, 08:08:51 »
I just found this thread, and I'm glad I did. I've been looking for a way to minimize the distance my arm/hand has to travel between my keyboard and mouse.  I don't like trackballs or trackpoints, so the mouse bridge seems like my best option.  I think I may even get one for my gf.
Add me on Steam | Twitter

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 04 May 2009, 02:00:29 »

the standard mouse bridge will not work with the unicomps since the unicomp has a cable coming from behind the numeric pad.

so you can either do: 139401 + standard mouse bridge

hey manish -- I thought the original problem you had was that the standard mouse bridge was pressing down on the keys? (and that 1391401 height is same as spacesaver/customizer height)?

Offline MANISH7

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 04 May 2009, 13:12:22 »
Quote from: wellington1869;88929
hey manish -- I thought the original problem you had was that the standard mouse bridge was pressing down on the keys? (and that 1391401 height is same as spacesaver/customizer height)?

yes, you are right. the standard mouse bridge will press on "print screen", "scroll lock" etc. you can only keep the standard mouse bridge over the numeric portion. so get the height adjustable mouse bridge although fitting this is going to be tricky because it is 1 cm too narrow for the model m. see my pic above.

if you do get a mouse bridge - get the rear height adjustable. it's just so much more versatile and costs the same. a lot of keyboards (like the unicomp or my current compaq) have cords on the left side.

having said that, i have now found a far superior solution to mouse bridges. i use a left hand vertical mouse. it brings the mouse even closer to the keyboard than a mouse bridge AND the mouse is not on an elevated surface. i don't have to reach at all, i can hold the mouse more comfortably than a standard mouse, and i don't lose out on precision. after this, i can't go back to mouse bridges.

« Last Edit: Fri, 29 May 2009, 09:28:58 by MANISH7 »

Offline ozar

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 04 May 2009, 13:18:59 »
Quote from: MANISH7;88985
having said that, i have now found a far superior solution to mouse bridges. i use a left hand vertical mouse. it brings the mouse even closer to the keyboard than a mouse bridge AND the mouse is not on an elevated surface. i don't have to reach at all, i can hold the mouse more comfortably than a standard mouse, and i don't lose out on precision. after this, i can't go back to mouse bridges.
Using the mouse with the left hand really does make lots of sense to me, and I need to give it shot some day soon.  Unfortunately, the only mouse that I really like is made for right handers only, so I'll have to adapt to a new mouse and go lefty when I do try it.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 04 May 2009, 16:46:57 »
going lefty with the mouse makes a LOT of sense. Unfortunately it means a fairly steep learning curve, I think, for us lifelong righties. I'd love to do it at some point tho.

you can only keep it the standard mouse bridge over the numeric portion

i see, gotcha. I missed that part somehow.

So for the 1391401, the standard mouse bridge fits but only over numpad. And the height adjustable one will "fit" if you remove the rear legs basically.

p.s., thanks for the extra pics, *very* helpful :)

Offline MANISH7

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 04 May 2009, 17:10:11 »
Quote from: wellington1869;89042
going lefty with the mouse makes a LOT of sense. Unfortunately it means a fairly steep learning curve, I think, for us lifelong righties.

i do indeed write with my left hand but i'm not sure how much this weighs when considering that i too have used my right hand for the mouse all my life. i only made the switch 3 days ago and it feels so natural. i think it has less to do with switching hands (even if i am a lefty) and more because of a very ergonomic / natural set up that is comfortable.

the only time i'd probably return to the conventional set up is for high precision stuff like gaming. however, that has more to do with needing more improvement in the mouse shape. it's easy to click the bottom button and i know the manufacturing has improved on that in the revised design for which they only released the right handed version as of now.  

so yeah, for regular "office" work, making the switch shouldn't be so bad. see if you can get a used left handed mouse (preferably vertical) that you can sell back if you don't like. i know you've tried various ergo pointing devices in the past when you had rsi.

yes, the standard will cover only the numerica pad portion of the 1391401. its actually a good thing that you emphasized and pointed this out. it was this exact set up that was not good enough for me in the beginning of this thread. so i guess that is emulating a model m mini. personally, i like the "fit" of the height adjustable better than the standard. i bring the mouse as close as possible without covering the delete button. of course, now i don't care anymore thanks to the clever layout of the mx11800 (very intelligent to bring the delete button close in the middle) and since i've abandoned mouse bridges.

if you have any other questions about left handed mice etc. let me know! definitely worth a try. even though i still use my hand for gaming, it's nice to shift the workload to my left hand. great relief.
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 May 2009, 09:31:39 by MANISH7 »