Author Topic: hakko 808 not working  (Read 2083 times)

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
hakko 808 not working
« on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 12:33:22 »
I thought this might be a bit much for the simple questions simple answers thread so here I am.

I bought a hakko 808 desoldering gun not that long ago and it worked great until now.

it is not sucking the solder from the hole and I almost ruined my gh60 rev.a board trying to ergo clear mod it over the weekend.

Here is what I have tried.
replaced the cloth filter.
cleaned the tube and the metal plate thing.
removed the tip and reamed the inside tube.

the tip itself seems clogged.
anyone have any experiance cleaning the tip or should I buy a new tip and wait :(

Offline codyeatworld

• * Destiny Supporter
Re: hakko 808 not working
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 12:39:40 »
If the tip is clogged just leave it plugged in and let it get hot and use a paperclip or the rod it came with to clean it.

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 13:02:52 »
thanks I will try that when I get home. maybe I was not letting it get hot enough.
My keyboard is currently 60% mx blacks and 30% stickered lubed ergo clears with clear switch tops and orange stickers lol. I just wanted to finish it yesterday and was pretty tired when I gave up.

I did all the stickers, lubing, led modded switch tops all yesterday while watching the football games.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 04:10:20 »
you should be able to blow through the tip. if you can't, it's clogged. you may have to ream with a fine point drill if the stuff in there won't melt. note that you can check suction of the vacuum pump by pulling the tip out and feeling for a vacuum. if you have vac before the tip and no vac after the tip, there's something in the tip.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 12:13:40 »
I got it last night and finished my ergo clear mod. I had to turn up the temp control to max. Basically the resin had built up and clogged it. Advice to all hakko 808 owners... ream the tube about every 10 switches and keep it clean.

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 12:14:41 »
The tip all the way through the tube into the chamber....

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 12:21:31 »
So if you turn the heat up, it will eventually melt whatever is clogging the tip? I have the same problem with mine, and haven't been able to use it for a while now
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 17:05:09 »
I took the tip off and jammed the larger screwdriver thing down the tube while it was on. Then let it cool down again and put the tip back on and heated it back up. It was still a pain the the a@$! But it worked. I basically had to man up and use some force.  Don't be afraid... your not going to break it.
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 January 2014, 17:08:14 by domoaligato »

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 17:09:03 »
So if you turn the heat up, it will eventually melt whatever is clogging the tip? I have the same problem with mine, and haven't been able to use it for a while now

it will not melt but it will help it break free when you shove that spring rod thing threw it.