Author Topic: Need SGI Granite pin-out  (Read 2497 times)

Offline jefw

Need SGI Granite pin-out
« on: Thu, 23 January 2014, 23:34:26 »
Hello Geekhack!  I'm new to the forum, and just starting out with mechanical keyboards.  I have a SGI Granite (9500900) that I would like to mod to USB with a teensy, but the keyboard came to me with the connector lopped off. 

Does anybody know which wires by color went to what pins on the PS/2 connector?  Or does anyone have the pinout for the cable header (J1) on the board?  If someone can help with this info, I'd be grateful.

I'll post pics, assuming I don't let the magic smoke out  :cool:

Thanks!

Offline jefw

Re: Need SGI Granite pin-out
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 24 January 2014, 22:46:08 »
Nevermind - I figured it out by scrutinizing the PCB.  For reference, left to right with the keyboard oriented in typing position, the cable header on the board is:

Pin 1 - Yellow - Clock
Pin 2 - Black  - Data
Pin 3 - Red    - No Connection
Pin 4 - White  - Ground
Pin 5 - Green  - Vcc

Pins 6 and 7 with the thick black wire are chassis ground.

- Jef

Offline jefw

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 25 January 2014, 18:12:10 »
Welp, the good news is I got the Teensy 2 controller all wired up and the firmware works great (thanks Soarer!)...

The BAD news is about a dozen of the switches don't work.  They are mainly clustered on one side of the board, where the gunk was the heaviest.  It looks like the switches would need to be removed from the board in order to disassemble.  Does an internal cleaning typically yield good results on these?  They are the dampened Alps with white sliders.

Would you keep going with this project, or is it too much trouble for this particular keyboard?  Opinions?

52303-052305-152307-252309-3

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 25 January 2014, 18:16:49 »
Yes I think a cleaning will help your switches. I'd keep going with cleaning the board. I think you're very close to having a working board :D.

Offline ebacho

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 25 January 2014, 21:43:04 »
Are you sure you need to desolder them to clean out the internals?  Alps have two little "clips" on the top and bottom of the switch that lets you pry off the top of the switch from the housing.  Reseating the switch isn't the easiest thing if you're going to go this route, but it saves you from having to do any soldering.  Ripster has a good picture guide here: http://imgur.com/a/elAFF#1

Offline jefw

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 25 January 2014, 22:09:21 »
No, ebacho, you are right.  :thumb:  Thanks for that link.  It was helpful to de-solder one for close inspection, but it is actually easier to separate the shell when they're still mounted on the board - one less thing to hold.  So far 4 down and seven to go.