Author Topic: Industrial F XT  (Read 12151 times)

Offline mr_a500

Re: Industrial F XT
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 24 January 2014, 17:07:10 »
Whoa. I find that much more interesting than the industrial SSK. Sadly, they don't ship to Canada.  :(
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 January 2014, 17:09:12 by mr_a500 »

Offline 127001

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 24 January 2014, 17:26:57 »
Welp... was hoping the other industrials would have distracted everyone. Oh well. :p

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 24 January 2014, 17:27:14 »
I'm definitely bidding on this.  I'd love to have an industrial XT!
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 24 January 2014, 17:30:19 »
I am not in this dogfight, but did I remember that industrial XT cases are metal top & bottom? Or was that something special(ized)?
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09

Offline ebacho

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 24 January 2014, 17:34:07 »
On closer inspection I think this listing is more similar to this one listed on clickykeyboards, judging by the font at any rate http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index.cfm/fa/items.main/parentcat/11066/subcatid/0/id/461779

Anyone know more about these than I do, please correct me.

I am not in this dogfight, but did I remember that industrial XT cases are metal top & bottom? Or was that something special(ized)?

Might have been something specialized, since most XT's I saw while researching this particular one was the normal plastic top/metal bottom.

Offline Aer Fixus

• And now, back to lurking...
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 24 January 2014, 19:50:52 »
On closer inspection I think this listing is more similar to this one listed on clickykeyboards, judging by the font at any rate http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index.cfm/fa/items.main/parentcat/11066/subcatid/0/id/461779

Anyone know more about these than I do, please correct me.

Might have been something specialized, since most XT's I saw while researching this particular one was the normal plastic top/metal bottom.

Figures it'd be posted here... Anyway, it's certainly not buckling spring. You can just tell by the shape of the caps. I don't know what kind of switches it has, but it might be the old style alps like some of the other boards of the era including some other IBM boards that used green alps.

The shape of the caps is wrong and the plate is not curved. The keys are molded to curve.
               SOON: IN PROGRESS:

I lie all the time.... I really don't even like keyboards

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 24 January 2014, 20:22:52 »
Anyway, it's certainly not buckling spring. You can just tell by the shape of the caps. I don't know what kind of switches it has, but it might be the old style alps like some of the other boards of the era including some other IBM boards that used green alps.

The shape of the caps is wrong and the plate is not curved. The keys are molded to curve.

Huh?

This looks just like all the F XTs I have had.
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."

Offline ebacho

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 24 January 2014, 20:26:12 »
Anyway, it's certainly not buckling spring. You can just tell by the shape of the caps. I don't know what kind of switches it has, but it might be the old style alps like some of the other boards of the era including some other IBM boards that used green alps.

Huh?

The incline appears different, and the font is a bit off as well on further examination.  Compare the two clickykeyboard pages I linked earlier and it should be apparent if you look at the back of the keycap, which is slightly curved, compared to a normal XT, which is straighter and more defined.

That said, the board is still a collectible piece I'd imagine.

Offline Aer Fixus

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 24 January 2014, 20:32:58 »

Huh?

Look at the edge of the keycaps (especially the stepped ones on the left of the alphanumerics). They line up flush with the plastic of the case. If you look, the case plastic is not curved like a normal XT, it's flat. The different rows of keys are molded for that row as apposed to normal buckling spring caps that are all molded the same shape and placed on a curve. Look at the tab key. Compared to the step, it's nearly flat. Now look at the left shift key. It's clearly angled.

Now look at a normal XT board. These keys are not angled compared to their step. And the case has a curve molded into it.

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 24 January 2014, 20:34:06 »
Bottom edge of the F-keys is a dead straight line all the way down the column, would be curved if F.

Keycaps have more angular corners than F keycaps.

Still, I would :cool:

Offline Aer Fixus

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 24 January 2014, 20:42:52 »
Bottom edge of the F-keys is a dead straight line all the way down the column, would be curved if F.

Still, I would :cool:

I'm not saying it's not worth having. It's just not a Model F.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 24 January 2014, 20:44:47 »
All this talk about the keyboard not being an F is reverse psychology.  I'm not falling for it! 

:P
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 24 January 2014, 20:52:06 »
I enjoy the games people play here when a popular auction is being watched.  "That industrial M will never go over $250!"   :))

By the way, this is the same seller that sold the non-clicky industrial XT not too long ago.
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 24 January 2014, 20:55:43 »
All this talk about the keyboard not being an F is reverse psychology.  I'm not falling for it! 

I don't see how you can glean all this information from a single bad picture taken from an odd angle.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 24 January 2014, 21:28:18 »

:p

Don't worry they're trying to psyche you out, so that you wouldn't bid higher than them.  If you love these relics then go for it like a junkie out for ice, don't hold back  :thumb: .

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 24 January 2014, 21:43:30 »
52220-0

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 24 January 2014, 21:46:51 »
(Attachment Link)

Fine, fine! Soarer you win....it's not capacitive BS.  T_T

Crushing my dreams man, you're crushing them.
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 24 January 2014, 21:49:01 »
(Attachment Link)

Ummm... you could always just paint the XT case that color. Just sayin'! :)

Offline Aer Fixus

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 24 January 2014, 22:17:43 »
(Attachment Link)

What about the black IBM logo?

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 24 January 2014, 22:25:39 »
(Attachment Link)

What about the black IBM logo?

Edit: actually, you could print one out, and laminate it nicely :)
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 January 2014, 22:27:39 by Bro Caps »

Offline 127001

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 24 January 2014, 22:51:52 »
If someone here wins this please contact me. It may will be within your interest to do so. ;)
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 January 2014, 22:58:33 by 127001 »

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 25 January 2014, 00:55:08 »
Likely OAK switches, like in clickeykeybaords and webwit's examples:
http://webwit.nl/input/ibm_industrial/xt/

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 25 January 2014, 01:47:28 »
Likely OAK switches, like in clickeykeybaords and webwit's examples:
http://webwit.nl/input/ibm_industrial/xt/
Show Image

Am quite glad to have my gut feeling vindicated.

There's a lot of Model F XT lookalikes online, and those that don't use capacitative buckling springs tend to have keycaps similar to this. I didn't know about OAK switches, but I noticed the different keycaps and figured it was unlikely to be the only buckling spring keyboard with keycaps from a unique mould.

That said, if I hadn't decided to stop posting in great finds, I would have posted this also...
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 25 January 2014, 09:30:45 »

Thank you, I stand corrected. I am glad that someone was knowledgeable enough to make it clear.

I was not bidding on it anyway, but somebody was.

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 25 January 2014, 09:40:54 »
Oh no, I was just adding to what Aer Fixus said :)

And to be clear, I _would_ be bidding if it was more local!

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 25 January 2014, 09:51:41 »
Enilighten me on the OAK switch.  I can barely find anything online about it.
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 25 January 2014, 10:15:25 »

Akimbo, if you're lucky, it might turn out to be something that beats Hall Effect or something! But I also didn't find anything when googling. Trust Dorkvader to have the esoteric knowledge nobody else has.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 25 January 2014, 13:34:50 »
Was trying to find information about Oak swtiches and found this article (look at the date):
http://www.nytimes.com/1981/03/05/business/technology-the-membrane-keyboard.html
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 25 January 2014, 13:42:39 »
Was trying to find information about Oak swtiches and found this article (look at the date):
http://www.nytimes.com/1981/03/05/business/technology-the-membrane-keyboard.html

That was an interesting read.  So it's a capacitive membrane type switch with springs that allow over-travel of the key past actuation.  Sounds interesting!
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 25 January 2014, 15:02:31 »
better you than me...  :p why not buy and give us a review? I don't think you will have too much competition in the bidding, heh

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 25 January 2014, 16:25:04 »
Hi-Tek "Space Invaders" prove that buckling springs are not the only reasonable option.

However, if these were good, why have they disappeared with hardly a trace?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 25 January 2014, 16:40:12 »
^^ bad marketing? :D

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 25 January 2014, 17:12:58 »
Hi-Tek "Space Invaders" prove that buckling springs are not the only reasonable option.

Cost perhaps like all large businesses they start to hand over the engineering costings to the accountancy section and they start to disembowel the original design to help eliminate costs in production.  IBM is littered with bad decisions due to these monumental arseholes, whose sole concern is to save a few cents on every item produced.

Offline ebacho

« Reply #34 on: Sat, 25 January 2014, 17:25:21 »

Honestly I didn't like the feel of space invaders and much prefer buckling springs, though to be fair, I'm not sure how much feel would play a role in business decisions.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 25 January 2014, 17:40:31 »
Honestly I didn't like the feel of space invaders and much prefer buckling springs,

Of course, I prefer the Model F over all others, hands down, but there is obviously room for many other mechanisms on the market.

I wonder whether Cherry really deserves the market share that they currently enjoy, or whether all the other mechanical switch makers have fallen by the wayside because of esoteric business fluctuations, including bad decisions on both sides of the supply/demand equation.

I think that Alps and Space Invaders both feel better than Cherries, and SMKs are very nice, too. But, except for Alps, you can only find these others in ancient, awkward configurations that require the user to make compromises in use, after he has gone to the trouble to track them down and buy them.

And now I am interested to try OAK!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 25 January 2014, 20:15:33 »
I had a snipe bid in before this got posted here. But I have withdrawn it, as I'm not as interested in OAK switches as some others probably are. So get those snipes in, collectors!
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 25 January 2014, 20:59:04 »

Also seen in the sun type 3 and Osborne portable. There are some good pictures in an 'identify this' topic at Dt once.
http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/a-test-for-haata-t3702.html
« Last Edit: Sat, 25 January 2014, 21:02:22 by dorkvader »

Offline Charizard^

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 25 January 2014, 21:11:13 »
Do the keycaps look blue to anyone else? They kinda look blue to me. Also this keyboard isn't clicky according to the seller.

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #39 on: Sun, 26 January 2014, 13:42:14 »
I was thinking of bidding earlier but I also noticed something was off and checked one of my XT's. I'm still going to bid though depending on where the price goes in the next day. If anything this will be good to try out new switches and use for other projects.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #40 on: Sun, 26 January 2014, 15:49:00 »
Honestly I didn't like the feel of space invaders and much prefer buckling springs,

Of course, I prefer the Model F over all others, hands down, but there is obviously room for many other mechanisms on the market.

I wonder whether Cherry really deserves the market share that they currently enjoy, or whether all the other mechanical switch makers have fallen by the wayside because of esoteric business fluctuations, including bad decisions on both sides of the supply/demand equation.

And now I am interested to try OAK!

You crazy, there is not room for anything else but buckling spring.

And Cherry does not deserve their market share.  Typing on a Matias right now and it is wonderful.  Much better than Cherry for typing.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline 127001

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 00:01:41 »
Just throwing this out there:

I will trade a F AT for this keyboard to whoever wins it.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 00:03:59 »

Just put down a snipe for it.

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #43 on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 02:51:28 »

Fantastic deal! Too bad I'm not in the running, heh. Shipping costs will kill...

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #44 on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 15:10:02 »
Only $51 plus shipping...not bad I suppose!

So who won?
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 January 2014, 15:13:24 by SpAmRaY »

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 17:50:51 »
Only $51 plus shipping...not bad I suppose!

So who won?
Not I.
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #46 on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 17:56:56 »
Forgot about this one! I wanted it for wcass project.
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 19:01:31 »
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline Charizard^

« Reply #48 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 19:54:54 »
I had the second chance offer but I let it get away. /: