Author Topic: CST Trackball durability?  (Read 10120 times)

Offline Drithius

CST Trackball durability?
« on: Sat, 25 January 2014, 13:01:47 »
Howdy and greetings!

I've come on here to ask you all about CST trackballs, specifically their durability (as I'm resigned to the fact  that I'd be rolling the dice on their ergonomics :))  I was specifically interested in the CST245W

As I'm coming from probably my 6th or 7th failing Logitech Optical Trackman in maybe 4 years (this company has gone downhill fast in recent years...),  I'd be looking for something that could take a beating - specifically lots of click-heavy gaming, etc..  With Logitech's discontinuing of that model and nothing else quite like it available on the market, I was looking at either the Slimblade or the CST models.  But, whereas the Slimblade has a 5 year warranty, the CST only carries a 1 year warranty.

I was wondering how people felt about the quality of CST products?  Could the linked model go toe-to-toe with the Logitech Marble FX in a sparring match?  Are there extended warranties available?  Thanks!

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
Re: CST Trackball durability?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 09:11:13 »
I've used tons of mice, and I found the logitech marble very poor. I think Logitech still makes good keyboards, but their mice are not on par.

CST should still be using metal rollers, which being moving parts, can get worn out. Slimblade is pure optical trackball.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline platypus

• dongerino adventures
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 19:10:07 »
IIRC there are easily available replacement parts for CST trackballs.

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 05 February 2014, 09:05:00 »
IIRC there are easily available replacement parts for CST trackballs.

not needing them is better
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 05 February 2014, 09:31:30 »
One edit, I believe you meant CST2545W.

Overall the CST is easy to open up and mod. The trackballs are standard 2.25" pool balls which do tend to wear down over time but can be easily sourced and replaced. The trackball moves on metal rollers which slide into delrin plastic bearings (which is just a piece of plastic with a hole in it). I've learned that the ITAC trackballs use actual bearings which helps them glide better. Personally, as long as the trackball is in good shape I've not had any issues.

Overall the CST is one of the best trackballs ever made.

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 05 February 2014, 09:55:56 »

Overall the CST is easy to open up and mod. The trackballs are standard 2.25" pool balls which do tend to wear down over time but can be easily sourced and replaced. The trackball moves on metal rollers which slide into delrin plastic bearings (which is just a piece of plastic with a hole in it). I've learned that the ITAC trackballs use actual bearings which helps them glide better. Personally, as long as the trackball is in good shape I've not had any issues.

This makes me wonder whether we're talking about the right things. Maybe I'm mistaken. I thought Itak was the company that made the big, black, heavy industrial trackballs. These are really difficult to move, even though I imagine in a dusty factory environment they would be very lasting.

CST is the company that makes highly regarded desktop trackballs, right? I mostly dislike them for their metal rollers.

BTW if anyone can explain to me how the Kensington trackballs can glide so smoothly when they don't have moving parts, I'll be grateful.

Offline piglickjf

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 05 February 2014, 14:52:32 »
BTW if anyone can explain to me how the Kensington trackballs can glide so smoothly when they don't have moving parts, I'll be grateful.

The ball (which is obviously a nice smooth, hard, yet lightweight plastic) rests on 3 (or 4? don't recall right now) tiny plastic beads, which are likely made of teflon or some similarly low-friction material. The ball also gets covered with a thin layer of oils from your skin to further lubricate. So it's a combination of minimal surface area contact and low friction at those points of contact.

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 05 February 2014, 20:32:25 »

This makes me wonder whether we're talking about the right things. Maybe I'm mistaken. I thought Itak was the company that made the big, black, heavy industrial trackballs. These are really difficult to move, even though I imagine in a dusty factory environment they would be very lasting.

CST is the company that makes highly regarded desktop trackballs, right? I mostly dislike them for their metal rollers.

ITAC makes a small trackball the size of a CST that uses metal bearings (vs plastic) with the metal rollers.

The CST can last for decades so don't worry about parts wearing out. Every trackball has moving parts and creates friction against those parts. Proper care and maintenance is always a good thing for any input device.

Also what's wrong with metal rollers? They glide so smooth :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 February 2014, 20:34:32 by Wildcard »

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 05 February 2014, 23:41:24 »

ITAC makes a small trackball the size of a CST that uses metal bearings (vs plastic) with the metal rollers.

The CST can last for decades so don't worry about parts wearing out. Every trackball has moving parts and creates friction against those parts. Proper care and maintenance is always a good thing for any input device.

Also what's wrong with metal rollers? They glide so smooth :)

My experience with Logitech, Kensington, A4Tech, Genius rollers: all will rust in a humid tropical environment. What's that stuff about stainless steel? Use it for a while and it will be proven to be BS. Stainless my foot, stainless only in America.

But that said, I'm open to new things. You say Itac has a small model CST suitable for a desktop? Can you give further details? I'm willing to risk it again if it's a make and model I haven't tried before and cost is not prohibitive. (EG for some list prices like 199.99, I might as well get silver rollers.)

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 05 February 2014, 23:46:18 »
Logitech and Kensington don't hold a candle to CST. Slim Blade is the most high mainenance pointing device i have ever encountered. The L-Trac X is the best (and most expensive) track ball which is widely available today.

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 01:19:43 »
Logitech and Kensington don't hold a candle to CST. Slim Blade is the most high mainenance pointing device i have ever encountered. The L-Trac X is the best (and most expensive) track ball which is widely available today.

It's strange how experiences vary. I use slimblade, and maintenance is just the standard wiping and removing of dirt once in a while. Maybe 2 months, stuff like that.

Orbit is a lot more dirt removal involved, but not that bad either. Once a month.

Jwad, were you talking about http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=9933.0 and http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ergoguys-CST1550-Ergonomic-PC-Trac-Trackball-Mouse-USB-Wired-Black-/350987069914?pt=Mice&hash=item51b875a9da

It seems as though the names vary a bit although the exterior looks similar.

Is http://www.ebay.com/itm/ERGOGUYS-CST2545W-LASER-TRACKBALL-MOUSE-USB-1600-/281251246666?pt=Mice&hash=item417be1724a any different from the other ebay listings? It seems the 1550 is being sold much cheaper than the 2545. I'm more concerned about overall quality and reliability, stuff like the rollers not rusting in a humid environment, than any particular DPI, so I'm not concerned about 2545 dpi vs 1550 dpi because even 1550 is more than enough.

Offline blueSmoke

• Life is what happens while you're busy Fixing RSI
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 02:32:33 »
I am going to ramble a bit on this topic.

Have few different trackballs, ms explorer, logitech marble mouse, cst2545w, itac trackball, ch products dt225 & rollermouse (NOS). I will come to the CST after I talk about these rest.

MS explorer, ergonomically the best, uses those tiny ruby jewels. My used one rotates free with the flick of a finger, but feels flimsy due to its age and thin (at that time) plastic. Replace the bearings, use gently and it will last you another decade. Not much DPI, so no dual monitors.

The itack uses real tiny bearings and if you find a nicer new one with a good bearing, it will move very nice, well designed and fairly free gliding. Also has no dirt issues as it is the ball to rotating rod contact. Construction wise it beats all the trackballs. Solid mechanical design. But not so high dpi as CST and I suspect it may not have any acceleration at all.

CH DT225: same as above but even better.modern design. Also take lesser space. Only weird issue is the NOS one I have while sitting in the box for 15 years has bearing sound, may be the bearings gone dry. These guys are sitting in the stone ages and still have the same 400 DPI.

CST 2545: nicely made trackball, but I have few cravings: even though the scroller is a free rotating scroller, it feels cheap and loose and I find my hands are not getting used to a completely free wheel, rather very little friction is needed (guys who are using rollermouse may know what I mean). The second thing is for such a nicer and expensive product the mounting screws pretty thin and the mounting studs are garbage. Infact when I called the company to ask about changing the ball to a colored ball, the rep first told me not to over tighten the screws. Believe me I tighten like a electronic device, not like a mechanical device using tiny screwdrivers with two fingers... but still one screw stripped the hole. It seems like they are using soft cheaper plastic, not the ones used by CH/logitech or used in older keyboards, definitely not ABS. But the good thing about them are high dpi. Now compared to my other used trackballs this one is pretty tight and not free rolling, but may be it is a new one and will take some time. The last point the rep told me is the ball is not swappable as this is designed for laser, other balls are for optical. Have not tested this.

The  cheaper CST ones are optical and have max 800/1200 dpi. A lot for single desktops but some crazies are using 3 monitors. Not for them.

The kensington expert mouse is the other one I like very much... I wish I can do something to that garbage scroll ring they are making with some salvaged/outdated die and it is hit or miss when you buy the EM, some have a smooth scroller and others garbage. I have 3 of them, the best one has 3 scratchy spots and the worst one scratchs and gets jammed all around.

My take is the ruby/jewelled ones beat the bearing types unless you can source the original high quality bearings and put them, the stuff we are getting now a days are chinese garbage with chinese packaging or same chinese garbage with european packaging and high markup. Dont know which one is better :), but ebay may have some of those NOS bearings that might work, but big bucks needed.
Model M, Filco Tenkeyless White, Few others, few more others, Noise-hater (ongoing project), blah-blah (to be fillled later...)

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 13:18:10 »

It's strange how experiences vary. I use slimblade, and maintenance is just the standard wiping and removing of dirt once in a while. Maybe 2 months, stuff like that.

Orbit is a lot more dirt removal involved, but not that bad either. Once a month.

Jwad, were you talking about http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=9933.0 and http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ergoguys-CST1550-Ergonomic-PC-Trac-Trackball-Mouse-USB-Wired-Black-/350987069914?pt=Mice&hash=item51b875a9da

It seems as though the names vary a bit although the exterior looks similar.

Is http://www.ebay.com/itm/ERGOGUYS-CST2545W-LASER-TRACKBALL-MOUSE-USB-1600-/281251246666?pt=Mice&hash=item417be1724a any different from the other ebay listings? It seems the 1550 is being sold much cheaper than the 2545. I'm more concerned about overall quality and reliability, stuff like the rollers not rusting in a humid environment, than any particular DPI, so I'm not concerned about 2545 dpi vs 1550 dpi because even 1550 is more than enough.

The second eBay link is not an L-Trac, hence the much more reasonable price.

On the topic of the Slim Blade I seriously have to clean the bearings once every day if not twice a day. so irritating. I might have to tear it down and see where the source of the lint is.

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 13:39:14 »
CST does make several models of Trackballs. The CST2545W is the L-Trac model. From the ebay auctions you listed, you'll notice a physical difference in that the less expensive one doesn't have the scroll wheel above the trackball. This scroll wheel is essential for me.

I'm in the process of trying out a trackball with bearings to see if I really find the experience worth the work of redoing the inside of my CST to add metal bearings to the metal roller.

I do agree though, it would be nice if the scroll wheel had a bit more friction, but I'm used to it now.

Offline Drithius

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 12:02:42 »

Yes, sorry ;)   Specifically from TrackballWorld.  Am I right in assuming that the -5W suffix version's only difference is the 3.5mm jacks?

My main concern over quality is not concerns for the rollers, but for the button switches.  Four of my last five Logitech trackballs failed prematurely because of worn switches.

Offline politie

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 08:33:44 »
the rollers in the cst seem pretty durable, ive bought one 7 months ago, havent had to clean it and its still smooth, smoother than my trackball explorer.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 13:21:23 »
It's easy to replace switches. Buttons themselves are worse, if they're made from soft plastic, but they probably aren't on this kind of trackballs.