Author Topic: Kinesis mx blue-mod  (Read 1994 times)

Offline flog

Kinesis mx blue-mod
« on: Sun, 26 January 2014, 13:21:27 »
Hi.

Stepping out into the light from lurking here a few months. I saw skryl's mod (http://thoughts.skryl.org/post/60613686455/the-kinesis-conversion) his keyboard with cherry mx blue and decided to do it myself. Ordered everything and started to fit all the switches into place. The switches i got was platemounted and therefor lacked the fixingpins pcbmounted switches have. Well, it works just fine on the keywells but i wanted to make sure the keys would sit true on the thumb clusters.

Asked a friend to print a pair of plates in his 3dprinter. Here's  the result. Enjoy

STL-file for the print:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33562603/kinesis-mod/mount_plate_kinesis_thumb_cluster.stl

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
Re: Kinesis mx blue-mod
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 26 January 2014, 14:18:17 »
Good hack man :)  Love the resourcefulness.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline neun_sechs_zwei

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 26 January 2014, 14:38:51 »
Awesome, good to know Kinesis will let you buy the parts as I was just about to call about that, not wanting to desolder anything... would be nice to have two sets of guts.

The 3D printer idea is great though. Thanks for both pointers.

Offline flog

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 26 January 2014, 15:22:12 »
Im going to build my own split kinesis based on a teensy in the future from the original parts that I just replaced. Its gonna be like a mix of kinesis and ergodox. Finding sphericals are tough, well signature plastics got them, but they're expensive. A wasd-set wouldnt cover the R5-caps need. Any tips?

Offline neun_sechs_zwei

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 26 January 2014, 16:18:15 »
I guess you just need the sphericals for the home row? Kinesis has them of course, if you don't mind the markings and the color (I have a blank keycap set I got directly from them).

Offline flog

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 16:42:19 »
I guess you just need the sphericals for the home row? Kinesis has them of course, if you don't mind the markings and the color (I have a blank keycap set I got directly from them).

Less fuzz and also actually the cheapest alternative. 1 set blank black key ordered :)

Offline flog

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 11 February 2014, 11:21:31 »
Just got some blank keycaps from Kinesis:

« Last Edit: Tue, 11 February 2014, 11:24:48 by flog »

Offline LONGZILLA

• ヽ(`Д´)ノ rawr
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 11 February 2014, 11:32:47 »
Show Image

Show Image

Nice stuff, I've been meaning to get a set of blanks for my Kinesis as well, but don't want to deal with the hell that is all the different profiles needed

Offline flog

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 11 February 2014, 13:53:28 »
Show Image

Show Image

Nice stuff, I've been meaning to get a set of blanks for my Kinesis as well, but don't want to deal with the hell that is all the different profiles needed

I was looking into buying sets from both wasdkeyboards and signature plastics. But the easiest way and actually the cheapest was to order through the kinesis support. They where super helpful!