Author Topic: why did this have to happen now?  (Read 1655 times)

Offline clintwn

why did this have to happen now?
« on: Sun, 26 January 2014, 18:21:19 »
You people should all be ashamed of yourselves. You pulled me in to this heinous hobby and community at the worst possible time. I have a baby on the way (March) and I have a mostly new wife (it's almost been a year; the new wife smell hasn't faded yet). I reckon it is not entirely your fault. I allowed myself to be seduced by the black and orange theme and the lurid subject matter.

On to the important name, rank, serial number noise. I'm composing this intro on a freshly acquired Corsair Vengeance K70 with Cherry MX reds. Apart from my 1959 Royal Quiet Deluxe, this is the first mechanical keyboard I've ever typed on. Between the aforementioned portable typewriter and growing up in a world full of rubber domes, the move to cherry mx reds is a weird one. It's probably taken me twice as long to type these words as it would have on something less sensitive. Time will break bad habits and help me form new ones.

By occupation, I'm a linux sysadmin. I tend to stick with debian downstreams for desktop use and red hat derivatives for server work, but new stuff is always fun to mess with. I don't get involved in distro holy wars. Editors are a different story. Vi is evil. Vi will make you evil, or more evil than you are, if you already slant in that direction. Emacs pwns in every way. Emacs will enlighten you and turn your children into productive members of society.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: why did this have to happen now?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 26 January 2014, 18:33:53 »
Welcome to geekhack. You will fit in well. Enjoy your stay! :D

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 26 January 2014, 18:45:20 »
okay, welcome to GH?
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline osi

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 26 January 2014, 18:50:33 »
Welcome to GH. Vi is the truth and the light -- may you find salvation in the future. :)

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 26 January 2014, 19:06:29 »
Welcome. I hope you pay more attention to the new wife.. and the new baby ... than the keyboard. Especially the new wife - you know what the say about post natal depression - don't want her to blame GH.. much like here http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=52810.msg1174294#msg1174294

Fortunately for you, you had a quiet Red switch - no ones going to complain about the noise!

Offline clintwn

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 26 January 2014, 19:07:25 »
Welcome to GH. Vi is the truth and the light -- may you find salvation in the future. :)

if I wasn't on chantix, I'd bite :-)

Offline clintwn

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 26 January 2014, 19:17:19 »
Welcome. I hope you pay more attention to the new wife.. and the new baby ... than the keyboard. Especially the new wife - you know what the say about post natal depression - don't want her to blame GH.. much like here http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=52810.msg1174294#msg1174294

Fortunately for you, you had a quiet Red switch - no ones going to complain about the noise!

Actually, I'm wicked lucky. She bought it for me as an early cake-day present.

and while the switches are quiet, my typing ain't. I clack on every keystroke and tend to type so aggressively that I can only hit 60wpm on any given paragraph, so it tends to sound like a machine-gun nest in my cube. Surely practice will help. I'm bringing this gorgeous mother to work, and I just hope my coworkers don't crucify me over the noise. One of our former engineers had a HHKB and that inspired most of us to buy gaming headsets.

in seven weeks it won't matter at home, because our new arrival will be screaming his head off 24x7 and we'll develop that amazing ability parents have to block out most annoying sounds. Can't wait for that.

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 26 January 2014, 19:25:38 »

in seven weeks it won't matter at home, because our new arrival will be screaming his head off 24x7 and we'll develop that amazing ability parents have to block out most annoying sounds. Can't wait for that.
As a father of two, I can testify that this is true!  :thumb: :thumb:

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 09:22:39 »
Welcome!
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline TheHardkaare