Author Topic: Cheap Model M (Converter Required)  (Read 1999 times)

Offline 127001

Cheap Model M (Converter Required)
« on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 12:55:05 »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221362702366
$33 with shipping for me.

Offline Thechemist

Re: Cheap Model M (Converter Required)
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 13:28:45 »
Some key caps are missing; F11, F12, 5, 7, u, ;, Alt, End, and one other

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 20:51:32 »
$33 with shipping for me.

Seems a little steep for a terminal, but if it is for a collection on a shelf you don't actually have to use it.
“This isn’t the same Trump that got elected in 2016, he’s worse.”
“Something snapped in this guy — for real — when he lost in 2020,” Biden said, suggesting the former president was “unhinged” and was the driving force behind a mob of his supporters overrunning the US Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021."
“He can’t accept the fact that he lost, it’s literally driving him crazy,” Biden said.
He added that the former president “wants to terminate the Constitution” and “says if he loses there will be a bloodbath in America.”
“What kind of man is this?”  Biden asked. — June 3, 2024

Offline Pac Caps

• Its almost a pallindrome
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 22:11:26 »
Is this one of the earlier M's?
Want to be a cap maker

Offline Aer Fixus

• And now, back to lurking...
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 28 January 2014, 00:20:29 »

Nope. The earlier Ms have a silver label on the right. This is just a terminal version of one of the later models, so no lock lights.

The back also says 1991, not an early date like 1986, '87 or '88. '88 was the transition year for the new label and first plate thinning IIRC.
               SOON: IN PROGRESS:

I lie all the time.... I really don't even like keyboards

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 28 January 2014, 07:29:15 »
'88 was the transition year for the new label and first plate thinning IIRC.

Plate thinning and elimination of wire stabilizers varied by plant from 1988 into 1989.

The metal badge changed to a plastic label after the 1390131 (or parallel lines). I have not had a badge later than 1986, but they may have made a few.

I will readily admit that I have only worked with the primary PC keyboard line, 1390120/1390131/1391401 etc, and know little about terminals and their numbers.

For anybody who wants to use the keyboard rather than just collect it, I will suggest that after you have added the price of a converter you could have just bought a standard Model M which you could use directly, and gotten LEDs as well.
“Something snapped in this guy — for real — when he lost in 2020,” Biden said, suggesting the former president was “unhinged” and was the driving force behind a mob of his supporters overrunning the US Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021."
“He can’t accept the fact that he lost, it’s literally driving him crazy,” Biden said.
He added that the former president “wants to terminate the Constitution” and “says if he loses there will be a bloodbath in America.”

Offline Aer Fixus

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 28 January 2014, 13:24:08 »
'88 was the transition year for the new label and first plate thinning IIRC.

Plate thinning and elimination of wire stabilizers varied by plant from 1988 into 1989.

The metal badge changed to a plastic label after the 1390131 (or parallel lines). I have not had a badge later than 1986, but they may have made a few.

I will readily admit that I have only worked with the primary PC keyboard line, 1390120/1390131/1391401 etc, and know little about terminals and their numbers.

For anybody who wants to use the keyboard rather than just collect it, I will suggest that after you have added the price of a converter you could have just bought a standard Model M which you could use directly, and gotten LEDs as well.

Interesting. I have a couple terminal boards from early 1988 with silver badges.

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 29 January 2014, 22:41:58 »

Nope. The earlier Ms have a silver label on the right. This is just a terminal version of one of the later models, so no lock lights.

The back also says 1991, not an early date like 1986, '87 or '88. '88 was the transition year for the new label and first plate thinning IIRC.

Apparently IBM still did make square badgers in '89:
http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index.cfm/fa/items.main/parentcat/9241/subcatid/0/id/579715
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline Aer Fixus

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 00:31:54 »

http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index.cfm/fa/items.main/parentcat/9241/subcatid/0/id/579715

My theory is that the less demand for a model, the slower that model is to progress onto the next version. So terminal boards weren't as popular, so they kept the silver badge and thicker back plate for some time because the parts were already there, they just needed to be put together when an order came in. And if this is true, Industrials were in even less demand, so I imagine that they would continue on for a bit longer than even the terminal boards.

This is of course based on almost no research whatsoever, so it could be far from correct. All the research I've done is looking at the models that appear on the market because that is a somewhat accurate representation of what was produced and distributed. There were probably a lot more factors to why certain boards continued being produced the way that they were.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 09:43:23 »

So what did clicky keyboards charge for a partially bolt-modded (aka screw-repaired) black-badge industrial?

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 13:28:30 »

So what did clicky keyboards charge for a partially bolt-modded (aka screw-repaired) black-badge industrial?

Well considering Brandon sells an '86 for around $250 (and I have seen them pop away quickly). I'd say $800 - $1000. 0_o
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT