Author Topic: To Backlight or Not to Backlight  (Read 3906 times)

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
To Backlight or Not to Backlight
« on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 23:16:37 »
Should I go with backlighting or no for my next board? Caps will probally be thick ABS or PBT. I want to see what other people think.

Also how much power does backlighting drain? If I have a backlit 60% wireless board, would my batteries be significantly affected?

Offline Ghetto Caps

• i make ghetto caps.
Re: To Backlight or Not to Backlight
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 23:20:55 »
back light use less. 

im guessing most of the people on this forum can touch type..

EDIT: your battery will drain like a madaF****  it would at least half your battery life.

any ways... what keyboard are you making
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 January 2014, 23:22:48 by Ghetto Caps »

Visit the Typing Test and try![/sigpic]

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 23:26:07 »
back light use less. 

EDIT: your battery will drain like a madaF****  it would at least half your battery life.

Either sprit or mod a poker. Prefer to make a sprit board, as pokers are expensive. Was thinking about going down the 40% road, but it doesn't have a full alpha set. Put on an alum plate, ergo clears, an alum case, and I'll have a good travel board.

Either that or filco minila air or some other wireless board. Maybe matias has a 60% wireless board with quiet switches in the workings.

Offline Ghetto Caps

• i make ghetto caps.
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 23:28:45 »
back light use less. 

Either sprit or mod a poker. Prefer to make a sprit board, as pokers are expensive. Was thinking about going down the 40% road, but it doesn't have a full alpha set. Put on an alum plate, ergo clears, an alum case, and I'll have a good travel board.

Either that or filco minila air or some other wireless board. Maybe matias has a 60% wireless board with quiet switches in the workings.

Cool, personally i think wireless is not reliable for keyboards yet and not that use fil due to the fact your keyboard does not move like your mouse.
If your planning to travel with some laptop setup just get a short cable that's the perfect length.

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 23:29:15 »
40% just sounds like it would be a pain to use... Go with 60% minimum.

I like backlighting with thick, non-backlit keycaps. This seems to be popular among the Korean crowd as well.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 23:29:49 »
back light use less. 

Cool, personally i think wireless is not reliable for keyboards yet and not that use fil due to the fact your keyboard does not move like your mouse.
If your planning to travel with some laptop setup just get a short cable that's the perfect length.

I'd like a bluetooth board to use with a phone.

Offline Ghetto Caps

• i make ghetto caps.
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 23:31:13 »
back light use less. 

I'd like a bluetooth board to use with a phone.

dang your hardcore... i just use a cheapo Anker Bluetooth one.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 23:32:58 »

I like backlighting with thick, non-backlit keycaps. This seems to be popular among the Korean crowd as well.

Yea. At first I thought it was just a 60% minus the top row. Turns out it does that plus chop off extra keys. I can memorize one layer plus part of another, but not two.

With thick caps, the backlighting surrounds the caps right, making your board glow in a sense?

Offline keymaster

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 23:53:39 »

Yea. At first I thought it was just a 60% minus the top row. Turns out it does that plus chop off extra keys. I can memorize one layer plus part of another, but not two.

With thick caps, the backlighting surrounds the caps right, making your board glow in a sense?

Yes, this is a good example of what I'm talking about:

Offline Ghetto Caps

• i make ghetto caps.
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 23:57:13 »

Show Image

The thing is...  He wants to go wireless, Im pretty sure he can't power 60 leds off batteries for a reasonable amount of time

Offline ebacho

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 23:58:36 »
If your phone supports it you could just use an OTG cable instead of wireless/bluetooth.

Offline keymaster

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 28 January 2014, 00:03:01 »

Show Image

The thing is...  He wants to go wireless, Im pretty sure he can't power 60 leds off batteries for a reasonable amount of time

Then I would say for him to go wireless instead of having backlighting. I don't see the point of a wireless keyboard in most home setups, however.

Offline acidtrip69

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 28 January 2014, 00:16:14 »
I don't have any backlighting on mine. it helps you learn to type by feel faster, but if you are going to get a keyboard with no lighting you HAVE to get thick PTB caps its must. If you want backlighting you can go abs or normal ptb caps i would go for the ptb caps

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 28 January 2014, 00:35:55 »
I don't have any backlighting on mine. it helps you learn to type by feel faster, but if you are going to get a keyboard with no lighting you HAVE to get thick PTB caps its must. If you want backlighting you can go abs or normal ptb caps i would go for the ptb caps

I wholeheartedly agree here. Thick PBT all the way, but personally, I would suggest them whether you go backlit or not. I have some KBT Thick white/red doubleshots on my new board, and the lighting effect is really cool.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 28 January 2014, 03:39:54 »
Not really backlit - on a wireless keyboard the increased drain on the battery would not be worth the slight underkey glow.

If you were going for backlight-friendly keycaps, then there might be a slightly greater incentive to go backlit, but again I would probably steer away from it due to battery usage.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 28 January 2014, 06:47:16 »
The biggest question you've got to ask yourself is, are you going to use your keyboard in the dark?

Offline HipsterPunks

• Gangmember
  • * Maker
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 28 January 2014, 07:03:38 »
The biggest question you've got to ask yourself is, are you going to use your keyboard in the dark?

sell out and eat ass

Offline regack

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 28 January 2014, 07:48:12 »
1) Do you like backlighting?

No: Then why are we having this discussion?

Yes: see question #2

2) Can you turn the backlighting on and off at will?

No: Skip the backlighting

Yes: See question #3

3) Will it always be wireless? (i.e. is wireless an add-on or a permanent mod?)

Yes: Skip the backlighting, it would cost more and eat your batteries. 

No: See question #4

4) If it still has a usb port, will you ever plug it in with cable?

No: Skip the backlighting, it would cost more and eat your batteries.

Yes: Get the board with backlighting and use it (the backlighting) situationally.

« Last Edit: Tue, 28 January 2014, 07:59:19 by regack »

Offline moonexe

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 28 January 2014, 09:46:21 »

Show Image

Is that aftermarket lighting? I'd love to have something similar on my G80...

G80-3000, MX brown           -           Filco Majestouch 2 HAKUA TKL+TK, MX brown, JIS Layout

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 28 January 2014, 10:03:13 »
I am not a huge backlighting fan, but I am going to backlight my board from sprit and use thick abs keycaps on it, GMK classic beige to be exact. I like the glow from under affect WAY more than glowing through the keycaps.

Although, I am going to say, I don't think any configuration of sprits board is going to be cheaper than a poker 2. Poker 2 can be had for 100-120.

Minimum price for sprits board

$50- PCB
$20- Cheapest Plate available from sprit (acrylic, not even metal)
$45- Lets say this is the cost of switches
$10- Leds
$???- What case are you putting it in???
$8- Stabilizers
$20-40- Shipping

There is probably even more cost behind it, soldering supplies, etc.
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 January 2014, 10:04:52 by HPE1000 »

Offline eddie

• ¥¥¥¥
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 28 January 2014, 11:03:07 »
Backlights are pretty useless unless you're typing in the dark and can't touch type. If you can use blanks then there is no reason to have backlighting.

Offline moonexe

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 28 January 2014, 11:15:16 »
I don't even touch-type and even I can use blanks... :rolleyes:
Backlighting just looks cool. And sometimes looking cool is worth it. :p

G80-3000, MX brown           -           Filco Majestouch 2 HAKUA TKL+TK, MX brown, JIS Layout

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 28 January 2014, 11:19:18 »
Do whatever you like most. Why do you need us to tell you how to live your life?

Offline moonexe

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 28 January 2014, 11:25:22 »
Do whatever you like most. Why do you need us to tell you how to live your life?
Did you even read the original post? The concerns about battery life are the reason for his question, not whether or not others approve of his preference...

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 28 January 2014, 11:26:02 »
Pacifist if you do backlight make sure you get plenty of these  ::)

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=51126.0

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 28 January 2014, 13:02:14 »
Pacifist if you do backlight make sure you get plenty of these  ::)

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=51126.0

I already own some.

I am not a huge backlighting fan, but I am going to backlight my board from sprit and use thick abs keycaps on it, GMK classic beige to be exact. I like the glow from under affect WAY more than glowing through the keycaps.

Although, I am going to say, I don't think any configuration of sprits board is going to be cheaper than a poker 2. Poker 2 can be had for 100-120.

Minimum price for sprits board

$50- PCB
$20- Cheapest Plate available from sprit (acrylic, not even metal)
$45- Lets say this is the cost of switches
$10- Leds
$???- What case are you putting it in???
$8- Stabilizers
$20-40- Shipping

There is probably even more cost behind it, soldering supplies, etc.

I am going to install a custom plate and case and mod the switches and get different caps so I don't want to buy a Poker II. Too much wasted.

Thanks everybody for the suggestions, I have an idea of what I'm going to buy now.