Author Topic: What can I put inside my HHKB to make it heavier?  (Read 16446 times)

Offline quickcrx702

• Ready to bomb with Vietnam tatted on my back
Re: What can I put inside my HHKB to make it heavier?
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 17:47:41 »
Get a real force  :))

This.  And make sure it's a 55g.  The lower weights are okay, but the 55g feels night and day better, and is more tactile than BS or MX Blues in my opinion.  Tactile keyboards mean that you don't have eight year old girl or 90 year old with carpal tunnel hands.  Be a man.  You're welcome.  LOL.

This post gave me cancer.
Lighter weights are lighter typing. Lighter typing is better typing. Forget about the stupid illusion of heavier switches being better, they slow your typing down and are damn near impossible to use while gaming.

Not everyone has hands like a child, and it doesn't change typing speed for people that bottom out anyways.  Also, you're saying that Model M's are bad for typing with that statement, which is silly.

I guarantee that my hands are significantly stronger than yours, that I type probably twice as fast and could do so on a microwave-keyboard. My fingers are very long and Model Ms would be much better for typing if they were lighter. You don't know a thing about typing, so I suggest you go into an area more fitting your expertise, like bragging about your 55g Thorpe being better than others' 45 g.

Dude you're so thugged out I almost pissed myself in fear.  I type around 80 words per minute, so you must type 160 on a microwave.  I bet you also have twelve fingers and can type with your toes.  I'm not the fastest typist, but I have better **** to do than play typing games all day to practice, then tell everyone how awesome I am because I type so quickly.  I have a life outside of trying to type faster than everyone else, something you probably know nothing about.  I suggest you go into an area more fitting your expertise, like ethugging and talking about how you have stronger hands than people you have never met.  I really don't care how fast you type, and I type fast enough to be as efficient in my line of work as a network engineer as I need to be.  I'm sorry my hands aren't as strong as yours because I don't spend all day jerking off in front of a computer building my hand muscles then trying to act hard.  Also, I have a 45g, so I can make the comparison to a 55g.  It seems that not that many people on this board have tried the 55g, so I was just giving my opinion, because I think people will be happy when they try it, not because I'm being some sort of elitist.  Again, I HAVE BOTH 45g and 55g, along with pretty much the entire collection of MX switches, BS, and ALPS.  I like the 55g better.  Deal with it.

I really care very much about how cool you think you are because you have no skill at typing despite having dozens of keyboards and want to drown that out with some sad little excuses to your own inadequacy. Honestly you just seem incredibly angry that you've been told how much of a self-important little twat you are. Unlike you, I am skilled at something. I don't see you on airs *****ing about how basketball stars brag about how good they are, so you could not be an angry teenager and try to use that as an excuse.

I'm an extremely active athlete, and therefore I have much stronger hands than you. All your arguments are based on the fact that I haven't mentioned why things are, but if you really want to know, there you have it. Unlike you I don't waste away my life trying to make people who annoy me seem inferior, nor do I act like a pathetic 'look-how-manly-I-am' elitist. My words may have been arrogant, but people like you deserve to be shut up.

I have a lot of keyboards because I make really good money as a network engineer and wanted to try a lot of keyboards, and they were a tax writeoff since I'm a business owner.  As far as angry, you're the one that overreacted, I just answered in the same tone.  Again, I don't give a **** how fast you type.  I type fast enough and have no need to type faster.  Also, you have no idea who I am or my fitness level.  Even if you're stronger than me, I don't care, it doesn't change my life.  I'm a lot more fit than most people, and that is okay with me.  The only sport I've ever been involved in is boxing, which requires two balls BTW, so if you play any other sports I really don't care.  If you also box, then take out your anger in a ring or a bar.  Also, since you can't seem to read, I'm not trying to be an elitist, I'm just spreading the 55g gospel since not many others are doing it.  This is a keyboard forum, so I didn't realize that talking about a keyboard would make someone so butthurt.  I never said I'm the manliest MF on the planet, you seem to have cornered that market.  I just made a dry joke about how heavier keyboards require you to not have weak hands, get a sense of humor.
« Last Edit: Sun, 02 February 2014, 17:53:17 by quickcrx702 »

Offline quickcrx702

• Ready to bomb with Vietnam tatted on my back
« Reply #51 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 17:51:49 »
Linkbane, you're being a ****head.
quickcrx702, you're being a ****head.

Stop being ****heads, and we can all be happy!

I'm not a **** unless others are first, but arguing over the internet is pointless.  I'm done with this thread, so request granted.

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #52 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 17:53:01 »

This.  And make sure it's a 55g.  The lower weights are okay, but the 55g feels night and day better, and is more tactile than BS or MX Blues in my opinion.  Tactile keyboards mean that you don't have eight year old girl or 90 year old with carpal tunnel hands.  Be a man.  You're welcome.  LOL.

Lighter weights are lighter typing. Lighter typing is better typing. Forget about the stupid illusion of heavier switches being better, they slow your typing down and are damn near impossible to use while gaming.

Not everyone has hands like a child, and it doesn't change typing speed for people that bottom out anyways.  Also, you're saying that Model M's are bad for typing with that statement, which is silly.

I guarantee that my hands are significantly stronger than yours, that I type probably twice as fast and could do so on a microwave-keyboard. My fingers are very long and Model Ms would be much better for typing if they were lighter. You don't know a thing about typing, so I suggest you go into an area more fitting your expertise, like bragging about your 55g Thorpe being better than others' 45 g.

Dude you're so thugged out I almost pissed myself in fear.  I type around 80 words per minute, so you must type 160 on a microwave.  I bet you also have twelve fingers and can type with your toes.  I'm not the fastest typist, but I have better **** to do than play typing games all day to practice, then tell everyone how awesome I am because I type so quickly.  I have a life outside of trying to type faster than everyone else, something you probably know nothing about.  I suggest you go into an area more fitting your expertise, like ethugging and talking about how you have stronger hands than people you have never met.  I really don't care how fast you type, and I type fast enough to be as efficient in my line of work as a network engineer as I need to be.  I'm sorry my hands aren't as strong as yours because I don't spend all day jerking off in front of a computer building my hand muscles then trying to act hard.  Also, I have a 45g, so I can make the comparison to a 55g.  It seems that not that many people on this board have tried the 55g, so I was just giving my opinion, because I think people will be happy when they try it, not because I'm being some sort of elitist.  Again, I HAVE BOTH 45g and 55g, along with pretty much the entire collection of MX switches, BS, and ALPS.  I like the 55g better.  Deal with it.

I really care very much about how cool you think you are because you have no skill at typing despite having dozens of keyboards and want to drown that out with some sad little excuses to your own inadequacy. Honestly you just seem incredibly angry that you've been told how much of a self-important little twat you are. Unlike you, I am skilled at something. I don't see you on airs *****ing about how basketball stars brag about how good they are, so you could not be an angry teenager and try to use that as an excuse.

I'm an extremely active athlete, and therefore I have much stronger hands than you. All your arguments are based on the fact that I haven't mentioned why things are, but if you really want to know, there you have it. Unlike you I don't waste away my life trying to make people who annoy me seem inferior, nor do I act like a pathetic 'look-how-manly-I-am' elitist. My words may have been arrogant, but people like you deserve to be shut up.
  I never said I'm the manliest MF on the planet, you seem to have cornered that market. 

Offline neunelfer

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #53 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 17:54:11 »

I have a lot of keyboards because I make really good money as a network engineer and wanted to try a lot of keyboards, and they were a tax writeoff since I'm a business owner.  As far as angry, you're the one that overreacted, I just answered in the same tone.  Again, I don't give a **** how fast you type.  I type fast enough and have no need to type faster.  Also, you have no idea who I am or my fitness level.  Even if you're stronger than me, I don't care, it doesn't change my life.  I'm a lot more fit than most people, and that is okay with me.  The only sport I've ever been involved in is boxing, which requires two balls BTW, so if you play any other sports I really don't care.  If you also box, then take out your anger in a ring or a bar.  Also, since you can't seem to read, I'm not trying to be an elitist, I'm just spreading the 55g gospel since not many others are doing it.  This is a keyboard forum, so I didn't realize that talking about a keyboard would make someone so butthurt.  I never said I'm the manliest MF on the planet, you seem to have cornered that market.  I just made a dry joke about how heavier keyboards require you to not have weak hands, get a sense of humor.

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #54 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 18:04:01 »
Demik you worried about permanently leaving marks on the case?

unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #55 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 18:05:34 »
Your 'jokes' are unnecessary and idiotic. Nobody here is bragging about what they do for a living, and I honestly couldn't care less. You can have the last word and go, because your spiel was the most pathetic bunch of lies I've ever heard. Not my problem at all, I know that I'm not an internet tough-guy and that I'm superior to you as a person, and that's really all that I care about.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline neunelfer

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #56 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 18:06:33 »
Your 'jokes' are unnecessary and idiotic. Nobody here is bragging about what they do for a living, and I honestly couldn't care less. You can have the last word and go, because your spiel was the most pathetic bunch of lies I've ever heard. Not my problem at all, I know that I'm not an internet tough-guy and that I'm superior to you as a person, and that's really all that I care about.

Just leave, no one cares.

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #57 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 18:13:55 »

sad?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #58 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 18:16:52 »
I know that I'm not an internet tough-guy and that I'm superior to you as a person, and that's really all that I care about.

Wow...

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #59 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 18:20:50 »
I know that I'm not an internet tough-guy and that I'm superior to you as a person, and that's really all that I care about.

Wow...
I dont even care any more vvv

Linkbane, you are the most pathetic ***** on this website, so far I LOVE geekhack, everyone here is so nice to each other, they are there to help one another out. But then there is you, unless someone is kissing your ass about what keyboard you have, or how fast you type on it, you are just a complete ******* to everyone. You don't care about the community, you just want a large group of people to try to impress or piss off.

**** off, nobody likes you

Offline neunelfer

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #60 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 18:27:41 »

Wow...
I dont even care any more vvv

Linkbane, you are the most pathetic ***** on this website, so far I LOVE geekhack, everyone here is so nice to each other, they are there to help one another out. But then there is you, unless someone is kissing your ass about what keyboard you have, or how fast you type on it, you are just a complete ******* to everyone. You don't care about the community, you just want a large group of people to try to impress or piss off.

**** off, nobody likes you

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #61 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 19:19:25 »
Such butthurt. I"m really getting everyone mad with saying that I'm superior to some *******, alright. //thread.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #62 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 09:00:22 »
Heh.

So many things to say.

@Tym yeah, I'd rather not damage the case. Unless you mean permanent marks on the inside.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #63 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 09:13:40 »
What the f**k happend in this thread..

Offline neunelfer

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #64 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 09:16:11 »
Heh.

So many things to say.

@Tym yeah, I'd rather not damage the case. Unless you mean permanent marks on the inside.

One thing that came to my mind was adhesive-backed non-lead wheel weights. You should be able to get some pretty cheap on Amazon, and you could lay a strip of electrical tape over them as an insulator.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #65 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 09:16:28 »
Bad parenting. Air, did you ever get your hhkb?
Heh.

So many things to say.

One thing that came to my mind was adhesive-backed non-lead wheel weights. You should be able to get some pretty cheap on Amazon, and you could lay a strip of electrical tape over them as an insulator.

The ones they use on rims? Hm, never thought of that.
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 February 2014, 09:20:03 by demik »

Offline neunelfer

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #66 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 09:24:24 »
Something like this. They are only 1/4 oz each though, so you would probably have to use a lot of them. I believe they come together as strips, so you could just lay a few strips down at once.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #67 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 09:24:29 »
just tie it to your dog, it will be as heavy as your dog then
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #68 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 09:26:59 »
Something like this. They are only 1/4 oz each though, so you would probably have to use a lot of them. I believe they come together as strips, so you could just lay a few strips down at once.

Cheap enough to try out. Thanks!

Instruction unclear. Keyboard stuck on stray cat.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #69 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 09:27:35 »

Instruction unclear. Keyboard stuck on stray cat.

no the tape + cat thing is different its better for overclocking
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #70 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 09:30:21 »
I got all my megahurtz from cat scratches.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #71 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 09:31:37 »

I just ordered these. Thanks for the link.

Offline neunelfer

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #72 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 09:35:47 »
No problem guys.

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #73 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 09:50:04 »
3M makes a lead foil tape that is very heavy. The lower half of the HHKB case has lot of room to line to bottom with it even several layers thick. Once its inside the case it would never have any lead contact to be concerned with.

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #74 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 09:53:36 »
3M makes a lead foil tape that is very heavy. The lower half of the HHKB case has lot of room to line to bottom with it even several layers thick. Once its inside the case it would never have any lead contact to be concerned with.

...but cross contamination. You touch the lead while installing it and everything else you touch then becomes contaminated. There are many other alternatives to lead. So, why use it? You can't even buy lead fishing weights around here anymore.
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 February 2014, 10:02:56 by smknjoe »
SSKs for everyone!

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #75 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 14:17:16 »

...but cross contamination. You touch the lead while installing it and everything else you touch then becomes contaminated. There are many other alternatives to lead. So, why use it? You can't even buy lead fishing weights around here anymore.
If its done right and you wash your hands it will avoid cross contamination, unless you live in California where just about any product may hazardous or cause birth defects. What alternatives do you suggest? 

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #76 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 06:48:14 »

So a few things I learned this morning.

I really wish my HHKB was heavy, it feels so cheap now after trying out the 'heavy' mod but sadly there isn't as much room as I had hoped in the HHKB.

Another thing the wheel weights work great but to maximize the weight you have to stack them more to the left and the weight is not distributed evenly and there is no room in the front of the case to put them, if this would have worked the way I tried it would have been great.

53542-0

Also the front tabs on my HHKB are all broken now, all in the name of keyboard science, I really wish they would just have put screws along the bottom front instead of using those stupid tabs.

53544-1

Offline osi

« Reply #77 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 07:18:39 »

So a few things I learned this morning.

I really wish my HHKB was heavy, it feels so cheap now after trying out the 'heavy' mod but sadly there isn't as much room as I had hoped in the HHKB.

Another thing the wheel weights work great but to maximize the weight you have to stack them more to the left and the weight is not distributed evenly and there is no room in the front of the case to put them, if this would have worked the way I tried it would have been great.

(Attachment Link)

Also the front tabs on my HHKB are all broken now, all in the name of keyboard science, I really wish they would just have put screws along the bottom front instead of using those stupid tabs.

(Attachment Link)

Sorry to hear about those tabs :/

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......

Offline aref

« Reply #79 on: Mon, 24 February 2014, 12:19:06 »
But won't damage the pcb or controller or anything inside?

Adhesive backed Lead strips used on tennis racquet. You can tape the exposed side with electrical or racquet hand-grip tape to create a
dielectric covering. Make sure the lead tape is not touching the circuit board. Lead tape can be affixed to the interior of the keyboard's base.
Sporting good stores and places like Amazon have the lead tape:
http://www.amazon.com/Gamma-Lead-0-5-Inch-Silver-2-Inch/dp/B000EEXYC8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1393265859&sr=8-2&keywords=tennis+racquet+lead+tape

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #80 on: Mon, 24 February 2014, 15:00:35 »
Or you could replace all the keycaps with metal BroBots.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ