Author Topic: What can I put inside my HHKB to make it heavier?  (Read 16444 times)

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
What can I put inside my HHKB to make it heavier?
« on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 23:33:05 »
But won't damage the pcb or controller or anything inside?
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Re: What can I put inside my HHKB to make it heavier?
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 00:12:02 »
Other GH'ers have had some success with lead fishing weights and some sort of modelling clay or blue-tak to stickytak or something to keep it in place.

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 00:43:39 »
super glue it to the table
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 02:05:53 »
Helium? No, wait...
Tungsten or lead should work if it doesn't touch the PCB.
« Last Edit: Fri, 31 January 2014, 02:10:04 by TheSoulhunter »

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 02:31:22 »
Wouldn't some rubber feet be simpler?

Offline mattics

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 03:00:45 »
If there is space under the PCB then some sort of sheet metal with holes drilled to clear posts if appropriate, if you decided to go this route the posts would serve as a holder for the plate so no adhesive would be required.

I would try out a rectangular piece of cardboard with holes punched for the posts then put it back together to see how it goes, if all goes well grab some steel about half the thickness (to allow for compression of the cardboard) obviously measure how much depth you have too :p . Lead would give you the most weight per volume for a readily available and cheap material, but it is pretty toxic...

From this - http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=26843.0 it looks like you could get something between the 2 posts or possibly along the front with decent enough clearance.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 03:02:16 »
Just throw some Blue Lounge strips on the bottom. Works great.

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 03:18:34 »
When in doubt; Eat bacon.

That was probably a improper use of a semicolon..

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 06:28:10 »
Someone once mentioned they filled the space bar with hot glue so conceivably you could do the same with the case.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 08:29:09 »
Go to the hobby store and go to the section where they sell stuff for pinewood derby (anyone remember this from scouts?). They have weights there that you can use. They used to be lead, but might be some other metal now, I'm not sure.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 08:33:33 »
Go to the hobby store and go to the section where they sell stuff for pinewood derby (anyone remember this from scouts?). They have weights there that you can use. They used to be lead, but might be some other metal now, I'm not sure.

I found this

http://www.pinewoodpro.com/weight-sets.htm

the tungsten putty looks interesting to!

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 14:38:52 »
Are you wanting to increase the weight because it moves around on your desk? Mine did, and it drove me nuts. I just put some cabinet door bumpers in the four corners. Problem completely solved.

http://www.amazon.com/Bumpers-Small-Diameter-Thick-Sheet/dp/B003F092P6

Get the small ones. They're only 2mm thick so they don't raise the board off the desk. They also don't change the typing feel. Still a solid contact with the desktop. The only difference now it that my keyboard stays put.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 14:41:37 »
Get a real force  :))

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 14:47:26 »
Water. Actually weighs a good amount and is freely available.

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 15:02:06 »
Demik on a serious note. You can either buy brass or steel strips at some hardware stores which should add good weight. Also instead of fishing lead weights, I've seen lead wheel weight strips being used.

I personally use brass door hinges which I've cut the ends off for some of my boards. These are freely available and are fairly easy to cut and fit.

However, I've never cracked my HHKB open, so I'm not sure how much space is in there. I usually cover the tops of the brass with electrical tape and then a thin hard plastic liner.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 15:06:10 »
Any update on this?
I love Elzy

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 15:09:07 »

I forgot. Water would get on the PCB and might damage it. Ice is a better choice.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 19:16:14 »
Any update on this?

Why not use lead filings mixed with silicone?  The filings of lead will saturate the silicone and at the same time protect the pcb from any damage/short circuit.  I use to grind down lead bars and fill satchel bags with them.  The weight alone helped to stabilize industrial cutters measuring in at 2 meters across in their housings.

Needless to say I am now quite re-tarded  8) .

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 20:07:50 »

I forgot. Water would get on the PCB and might damage it. Ice is a better choice.

Good thinking, ice is a superconductor and through its manipulation of the Harvey-Eton equilibrium the center of balance should be adversely affected by--
wat
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 20:11:27 »

GOD DAMN IT MOOSE NOW IM BACK TYPING ON THIS SIIG. WHY WOULD YOU LIE TO ME ;_;

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 20:13:01 »
Surprised no one suggested you legitball your keyboard up

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 20:13:22 »
Demik on a serious note. You can either buy brass or steel strips at some hardware stores which should add good weight. Also instead of fishing lead weights, I've seen lead wheel weight strips being used.

I personally use brass door hinges which I've cut the ends off for some of my boards. These are freely available and are fairly easy to cut and fit.

However, I've never cracked my HHKB open, so I'm not sure how much space is in there. I usually cover the tops of the brass with electrical tape and then a thin hard plastic liner.

but wouldn't that be a problem if i want to move my hhkb around?

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 21:39:41 »

but wouldn't that be a problem if i want to move my hhkb around?

Well you'd be putting the brass sheets inside your HHKB case so.... Isn't that the point? To make it heavier?

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 21:54:36 »
ah i didn't see the tape part. i meant to ask if it'd be a problem with the brass just being free inside the case and moving around if i moved my keyboard.

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 22:05:34 »
ah i didn't see the tape part. i meant to ask if it'd be a problem with the brass just being free inside the case and moving around if i moved my keyboard.

Yep just something to fasten it down, with something on top to make sure it isn't conductive against the bottom of the PCB.

A few dabs of glue between the board and the plate also will help keep it in place.

Offline neunelfer

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 22:47:15 »
Do you actually want it to weigh more or you just don't want it to move around as much?

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 23:23:59 »
Nice troll. I fell for it.   :rolleyes:

Offline eddie

• ¥¥¥¥
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 23:36:53 »
Buy metal key caps. :)

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 00:53:39 »
Do you actually want it to weigh more or you just don't want it to move around as much?

both.

i know about the bluelounge strips to prevent it from moving. but i'd like weight on it.

Nice troll. I fell for it.   :rolleyes:

what?

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 13:05:32 »
I agree, I like the bluelounge strips. But I wish it was as heavy as my pure aluminum case.. I'm interested in what you try out.

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 13:21:02 »
If you want to add some heavy metal to the bottom of your keyboard, why not use Osmium? 

It's real.  It's the rarest non-radioactive metal on earth, and the most dense (i.e., heaviest per cubic cm.) 

The only problem is that its pyrophoric.  Meaning it spontaneously combusts if it comes into contact with oxygen at room temperature.  So you will have to seal your HHKB up air tight, but otherwise, a few short and thin bars of osmium will weigh that HHKB down good.  Oh yeah, osmium also combusts in water too, so don't get it wet.

The only other heavy metal I can think of that is dense enough to work is Platinum.  But if you have that much platinum laying around your house, you can afford to hire somebody to simply hold the HHKB in place as you type, so just do that instead.
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline quickcrx702

• Ready to bomb with Vietnam tatted on my back
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 02:56:49 »

This.  And make sure it's a 55g.  The lower weights are okay, but the 55g feels night and day better, and is more tactile than BS or MX Blues in my opinion.  Tactile keyboards mean that you don't have eight year old girl or 90 year old with carpal tunnel hands.  Be a man.  You're welcome.  LOL.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #33 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 10:29:01 »

This.  And make sure it's a 55g.  The lower weights are okay, but the 55g feels night and day better, and is more tactile than BS or MX Blues in my opinion.  Tactile keyboards mean that you don't have eight year old girl or 90 year old with carpal tunnel hands.  Be a man.  You're welcome.  LOL.

This post gave me cancer.
Lighter weights are lighter typing. Lighter typing is better typing. Forget about the stupid illusion of heavier switches being better, they slow your typing down and are damn near impossible to use while gaming.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C

Offline quickcrx702

« Reply #34 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 14:44:23 »

Lighter weights are lighter typing. Lighter typing is better typing. Forget about the stupid illusion of heavier switches being better, they slow your typing down and are damn near impossible to use while gaming.

Not everyone has hands like a child, and it doesn't change typing speed for people that bottom out anyways.  Also, you're saying that Model M's are bad for typing with that statement, which is silly.

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #35 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 14:54:10 »

Not everyone has hands like a child, and it doesn't change typing speed for people that bottom out anyways.  Also, you're saying that Model M's are bad for typing with that statement, which is silly.

Everyone is different, but I tend to agree with you here. Lighter switches are harder for me to get much speed on without bottoming out, which you ultimately try not to do when typing. As for gaming, I don't care. It sure seems like marketing has done a lot to get you to think you need certain switches/keyboards though.

On topic, there have been lots of good suggestions. I would avoid lead though. It is absorbed through your skin easily and will potentially cross contaminate your keycaps when you are installing it. Use something not poisonous.
« Last Edit: Sun, 02 February 2014, 15:19:35 by smknjoe »
SSKs for everyone!

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #36 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 15:31:11 »

I guarantee that my hands are significantly stronger than yours, that I type probably twice as fast and could do so on a microwave-keyboard. My fingers are very long and Model Ms would be much better for typing if they were lighter. You don't know a thing about typing, so I suggest you go into an area more fitting your expertise, like bragging about your 55g Thorpe being better than others' 45 g.

Offline neunelfer

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #37 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 15:34:56 »
shots

fired

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #38 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 15:42:27 »

I guarantee that my hands are significantly stronger than yours, that I type probably twice as fast and could do so on a microwave-keyboard. My fingers are very long and Model Ms would be much better for typing if they were lighter. You don't know a thing about typing, so I suggest you go into an area more fitting your expertise, like bragging about your 55g Thorpe being better than others' 45 g.
No need to be so harsh, just forward him to your blog and he will be one with his keyboard by the time he is done reading it.

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #39 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 15:45:08 »
Model M's. The M is for Manly not Mancy,

Lol j/k

How did this get so far off topic ;)

Offline neunelfer

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #40 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 15:50:37 »

Because out of the blue Linkbane overreacted to quickcrx and then felt the need to stroke his typing speed.

;)

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #41 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 15:50:57 »
No need to be so harsh, just forward him to your blog and he will be one with his keyboard by the time he is done reading it.

You've seen it? Interesting.

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #42 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 15:50:58 »

Lol j/k

I don't know, but why do I hear people continually mention how long their fingers are? Is that supposed to be desirable? We aren't talking piano playing here.

...most girls I know prefer a little girth though...;)
SSKs for everyone!

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #43 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 15:52:44 »

Lol j/k

I don't know, but why do I hear people continually mention how long their fingers are? Is that supposed to be desirable? We aren't talking piano playing here.

...most girls I know prefer a little girth though...;)

The epitome of child fingers are fat sausages, so I'm just making a distinction here. :p
Did someone imply that geekhackers know women?
Kidding, hehe.

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #44 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 15:53:42 »

You've seen it? Interesting.
That is one way to put it.

Offline quickcrx702

« Reply #45 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 17:00:33 »

Dude you're so thugged out I almost pissed myself in fear.  I type around 80 words per minute, so you must type 160 on a microwave.  I bet you also have twelve fingers and can type with your toes.  I'm not the fastest typist, but I have better **** to do than play typing games all day to practice, then tell everyone how awesome I am because I type so quickly.  I have a life outside of trying to type faster than everyone else, something you probably know nothing about.  I suggest you go into an area more fitting your expertise, like ethugging and talking about how you have stronger hands than people you have never met.  I really don't care how fast you type, and I type fast enough to be as efficient in my line of work as a network engineer as I need to be.  I'm sorry my hands aren't as strong as yours because I don't spend all day jerking off in front of a computer building my hand muscles then trying to act hard.  Also, I have a 45g, so I can make the comparison to a 55g.  It seems that not that many people on this board have tried the 55g, so I was just giving my opinion, because I think people will be happy when they try it, not because I'm being some sort of elitist.  Again, I HAVE BOTH 45g and 55g, along with pretty much the entire collection of MX switches, BS, and ALPS.  I like the 55g better.  Deal with it.
« Last Edit: Sun, 02 February 2014, 17:13:59 by quickcrx702 »

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #46 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 17:29:22 »

Dude you're so thugged out I almost pissed myself in fear.  I type around 80 words per minute, so you must type 160 on a microwave.  I bet you also have twelve fingers and can type with your toes.  I'm not the fastest typist, but I have better **** to do than play typing games all day to practice, then tell everyone how awesome I am because I type so quickly.  I have a life outside of trying to type faster than everyone else, something you probably know nothing about.  I suggest you go into an area more fitting your expertise, like ethugging and talking about how you have stronger hands than people you have never met.  I really don't care how fast you type, and I type fast enough to be as efficient in my line of work as a network engineer as I need to be.  I'm sorry my hands aren't as strong as yours because I don't spend all day jerking off in front of a computer building my hand muscles then trying to act hard.  Also, I have a 45g, so I can make the comparison to a 55g.  It seems that not that many people on this board have tried the 55g, so I was just giving my opinion, because I think people will be happy when they try it, not because I'm being some sort of elitist.  Again, I HAVE BOTH 45g and 55g, along with pretty much the entire collection of MX switches, BS, and ALPS.  I like the 55g better.  Deal with it.

I really care very much about how cool you think you are because you have no skill at typing despite having dozens of keyboards and want to drown that out with some sad little excuses to your own inadequacy. Honestly you just seem incredibly angry that you've been told how much of a self-important little twat you are. Unlike you, I am skilled at something. I don't see you on airs *****ing about how basketball stars brag about how good they are, so you could not be an angry teenager and try to use that as an excuse.

I'm an extremely active athlete, and therefore I have much stronger hands than you. All your arguments are based on the fact that I haven't mentioned why things are, but if you really want to know, there you have it. Unlike you I don't waste away my life trying to make people who annoy me seem inferior, nor do I act like a pathetic 'look-how-manly-I-am' elitist. My words may have been arrogant, but people like you deserve to be shut up.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #47 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 17:33:33 »
Linkbane, you're being a ****head.
quickcrx702, you're being a ****head.

Stop being ****heads, and we can all be happy!

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #48 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 17:38:04 »
Linkbane, you're being a ****head.
quickcrx702, you're being a ****head.

Stop being ****heads, and we can all be happy!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #49 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 17:38:16 »
:facepalm: