Author Topic: Analyst Keyboard  (Read 1401 times)

Offline de_bish

Analyst Keyboard
« on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 01:11:36 »
Ladies & Gents:

Currently working as an IB Analyst – I spend all day and night in Excel.  Some nights, efficiently using my keyboard/shortcuts can make the difference between going home at 2:00 AM or 3:00 AM. 

First came across mechanical keyboards when another Analyst showed up with a Das Keyboard Model S.  It sparked my interest and I quickly bought a SteelSeries 6GV2 (the large enter key caught my eye).   It’s been a huge improvement from the corporate issue HP.  Not too sure how I feel about the Cherry MX Black switches, and I’m looking into MX Blue or Brown switches.  In addition, my search has let me to Topre switches.  Still formulating an opinion on which keyboard to buy next and I have limited time to research the topic. 

Recently I purchased and returned the Ducky DK9008G2 Pro, the lighting on the Num Lock key drove me nuts.  However, I could tell that the quality/build was better than my SteelSeries.  I liked the coloring and the PBT keycaps, but I wasn't too happy with it at all. 

My next keyboard must be full size, and media keys are desirable but not necessary. Considering Filco Majestouch 2 or Realforce 104U – wouldn’t mind adding quality keycaps (PBT or doubleshot ABS) and RGB modifications. 

Your insight and guidance is greatly valued on keyboard and keycap suggestions, thank you.  -D

Offline Findecanor

Re: Analyst Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 14:17:09 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Recently I purchased and returned the Ducky DK9008G2 Pro, the lighting on the Num Lock key drove me nuts.
Bright blue LED, right? ;)
But what switches did it have, and did you like them?

I would say that the Topre switches feel a lot like run-of-the-mill rubber dome keyboards, at first. You are practically forced to bottom out, but they are not mushy when you do. They are soft on the bottom, but distinct.
Other than that, the Realforce keyboards feel quality.
🍉

Offline Ragnorock

• * Maker
  • Group Buy Guy
Re: Analyst Keyboard
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 16:43:48 »
As a BI analyst myself, I can say that you're going to want blues or browns just for how much you type. If noise is an issue, get a Realforce. They're pretty much the nicest keyboards you can buy off the shelf without going custom. The keyboards you suggest are pretty much what I would... all Topre keysets are PBT, but they're pretty expensive (~$100.) Quality doubleshot keys can be had for around $50-80.