Author Topic: binding key for Model M  (Read 1859 times)

Offline tedji

binding key for Model M
« on: Wed, 25 February 2009, 23:13:27 »
I just bought a used Model M mini and everything works fine except that I notice if I press the left shift key at the edige it binds; when I press the center it works fine. I popped the key off and everything looks clean. Is there anything I can do such as using oil or some dry lubricant. What a good solution?

Thanks in advance,

Ted

Offline wellington1869

binding key for Model M
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 25 February 2009, 23:17:43 »
silicon grease should work. sounds like the wire brace is just dry? The buckling spring isnt bent, is it? if you push it down with the tip of your finger can you feel it buckling normally?

if its just friction issue, silicon grease on the shaft of the keycap and on the wire brace contact points.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline tedji

binding key for Model M
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 26 February 2009, 17:03:33 »
I took a look at the spring and it looks and feels okay I will try dabbing on a little bit of silicon grease.

Thanks!

Offline nerp

binding key for Model M
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 27 February 2009, 18:01:54 »
Quck question to add to this thread. My used model M is great but the spacebar is just the slightest bit. . . firm. I generally give the spaceboard a solid thwap, regardless of the board I'm using, but compared to the other keys, it's got a little sticky roughness I'd like to smooth out. Would silicone grease on the same parts as well as the clamps for the metal bar do the trick? Do I run the risk of 'overgreasing' it and ending up with something TOO smooth or soft?
U N I.C O M P - Am I the only one that likes the logo?

Offline wellington1869

binding key for Model M
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 27 February 2009, 18:45:04 »
well I happen to believe silicon grease cures just about everything, so ya, I'd try that first here too :)
seriously, why not. I dont think you can really over apply it unless you're "spooning it on". You dont need much of it to smooth out the action. Just a drop or two. If its too smooth you can always wipe it off (Silicon grease is the consistency of vaseline, so it wont "run" all over the place, it kind of stays put). You can always remove any excess.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3