Author Topic: Acer 6311 keyboard with Alps-like switches  (Read 7292 times)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Acer 6311 keyboard with Alps-like switches
« on: Wed, 05 February 2014, 18:45:41 »
Today at a junk store I got an Acer 6311, what a delightful little keyboard!

It has the black "fake-Alps" clicky switched but they feel very good - light, high activation point, nice click.

And best of all, true ANSI layout with PS/2 connector.

I realize that these are really mechanical plungers and membranes, but Model M is membrane, too.

This keyboard deserves more respect than it gets, as far as I can tell from here. Heavy metal plate inside, too!
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Acer 6311 keyboard with Alps-like switches
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 05 February 2014, 18:51:09 »
Similar, but mine in Winkeyless, PS/2, and straight ANSI.

That one is AT, bigass Enter, with Windows and Apps keys.
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 05 February 2014, 18:52:36 »
I have one. But I find the switches to be a bit too scratchy for my taste.
🍉

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 05 February 2014, 19:34:50 »

It has the black "fake-Alps" clicky switched but they feel very good - light, high activation point, nice click.

I have a couple, and they're very similar to the switches in the Filco Zero XM. They're not a stiff, but still so hard to press that you miss keystrokes a lot.

But yes, like the Fujitsu Peerless, it's a got a delicate, colleague-friendly click.

It will be interesting to see what the first Matias actually-quiet-click keyboard is like. As in, click switch with dampers. Quiet click is fairly uncommon.
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline dante

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 05 February 2014, 19:36:07 »

I have a couple, and they're very similar to the switches in the Filco Zero XM. They're not a stiff, but still so hard to press that you miss keystrokes a lot.

But yes, like the Fujitsu Peerless, it's a got a delicate, colleague-friendly click.

It will be interesting to see what the first Matias actually-quiet-click keyboard is like. As in, click switch with dampers. Quiet click is fairly uncommon.

Come again?  Matias Quiet click??

Do you mean quiet pro?

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 05 February 2014, 19:43:09 »
I meant, if/when someone makes one by combining switches. I'm still really, really cheesed off that Matias was idiotic enough to use the term "quiet click" for a switch that doesn't click, and seemingly he refuses to change the name. Every time I go to write "quiet click" I have to consider whether I need to explain "no it won't actually click quietly like a Peerless". Argh foam stab .....

Real quiet click switches, like Acers, sound nice.
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 11:10:18 »
Although this will be considered a necropost, I just wanted to chime in, because I recently discovered the Acer 6311 as a source of dye-sub PBT keycaps for keyboards with Alps or Matias switches (as well as the Alps-like Acer switches).