Author Topic: ErgoDox Key Caps  (Read 19901 times)

Offline nerwall

ErgoDox Key Caps
« on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 21:12:29 »
I have been thinking for a while about building an ErgoDox and finally got around to sourcing parts. I have found everything but a key cap set that actually fits. Currently I am planning to buy this set of caps and fill out the other keys, about 36, with blanks from Signature Plastics. I realized that I was silly for paying $90 for a set of only 76 keys but I could not find any other options, do other options exist?

Offline Findecanor

Re: ErgoDox Key Caps
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 11 February 2014, 01:37:29 »
BTW. Ducky and SP are different height. WASD Keyboards would be cheaper but only ABS.
🍉

Offline tbc

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 11 February 2014, 03:12:16 »
sp offers complete ergodox set in DSA profile
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline kod

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 11 February 2014, 12:00:52 »
Massdrop has done a couple of group buys for the keycaps, if I remember correctly they were around $45

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/ergodox-keycap

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 11 February 2014, 12:43:00 »
SP sells blank ergodox sets now. 

Round 5 by 7-bit is offering awesome caps and ergodox sets. i sourced a legend set of keycaps from this buy (who knows when i will receive them).

massdrop sells caps quite frequently for ergodoxesessesseses

god speed.
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline nerwall

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 20:29:22 »
Quote from: tbc
sp offers complete ergodox set in DSA profile
Do you have any recommendations for a set to cannibalise for keycaps with letters on them?

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 22:22:06 »
I'm offering an EDOX pack in groupbuy, but it is only for the hard to get 1.5 keys and etc... meant to be used with other Cherry profile set like the full sets offered in same buy, or if you want something cheaper you could combine it with a doubleshots keyset sourced from a G81-7000H**US or similar.

Basically all the grey keys in that image, and the bottom row 1x1 go in the pack I am doing.
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 February 2014, 22:37:14 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline gcb

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 15:55:52 »
since my 1st choice is not going to get funded... i'm starting the reaserch, so i will hijack this thread :)

- http://www.pimpmykeyboard.com/deals/ergodox-set/ (looks like not going to get funded :(

- https://bingecap.com/product/penumbrasolarized-ergodox-complete-keyset/ (expensive but good looking, tho i will some symbols to the modifiers ...wtf are they on a guitar!?)

- http://www.keypop.net/product/yellow-doubleshot-keycap-set-111-keycaps (has 4 extra double lenght keys, should be almost enough... for $25!) other colors availble

- http://www.smcelectronics.com/swkey.htm (decently priced individual keys... no clue it shipping or something else will kill this)

- buying whatever g80 i can on CL or ebay for less than $30 :) ideally those with lots of labeled keys...

- http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=58608.0 Dolch group buy
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 May 2014, 13:17:16 by gcb »

Offline tbc

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 17:34:05 »
you'll need to buy 3 of those keypop sets if you want all blanks.  2 if you don't mind having double tab and ' \ | ' keys
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline nerwall

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 17:59:09 »
Already have my order in with 7bit and my caps are likely in production now :).

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 18:30:01 »
- https://bingecap.com/product/penumbrasolarized-ergodox-complete-keyset/ (expensive but good looking, tho i will some symbols to the modifiers ...wtf are they on a guitar!?)

Yes that is a guitar :0
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline gcb

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 18:41:29 »

I have no idea what you are talking about ... :(

lol and i can't english... i meant "i will miss some" anyway... glad you are here :)

I'm wondering if those will fit on the massdrop ergodox... from the massdrop i think it requires 1x1 on the pinky modifier keys... that set has double sized keys... what do you think?

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 21:53:40 »

I have no idea what you are talking about ... :(

lol and i can't english... i meant "i will miss some" anyway... glad you are here :)

I'm wondering if those will fit on the massdrop ergodox... from the massdrop i think it requires 1x1 on the pinky modifier keys... that set has double sized keys... what do you think?

The massdrop ergodox and the ergodox are identical.  This set works with my massdrop kits just fine :)
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline gcb

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 01:53:25 »
bought one set :)

and the money pit deepens...

edit:
...and thanks to being slightly drunk (thought today was friday already)... i also tried to buy a set of the galaxy even tough i am pretty sure it will not get funded... and the site there is uter crap :( it did not work on firefox linux (binge key also had problems with the bad javascript for the dropdows... truth be told) but even changing browsers to chrome did not help. I tried 3 times, but everytime i go to paypal (damn you all for using the worst internet company for payments) fill in my details, and the next paypal screen says my payment expired and ask me to enter everything again, in a different layout... so i'm just giving up.

« Last Edit: Fri, 30 May 2014, 02:03:19 by gcb »

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 12:04:39 »
I am trying to offer DOX stuff again in the current DOLCH groupbuy. Not sure where all the DOX people are at? Just don't like Cherry keycaps or what?

Offline gcb

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 13:16:48 »
I am trying to offer DOX stuff again in the current DOLCH groupbuy. Not sure where all the DOX people are at? Just don't like Cherry keycaps or what?

pardon the ignorance, what is Dolch?

also, any chance of having a few teal keys on the ergodox packs? I hate to have more than 2 unlabeled keys in a row....

Offline Razor Lotus

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 14:24:31 »

also, any chance of having a few teal keys on the ergodox packs? I hate to have more than 2 unlabeled keys in a row....

dolch is the colour scheme found on dolch keyboards

Offline xanth

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 18:11:04 »
The massdrop ergodox and the ergodox are identical.  This set works with my massdrop kits just fine :)

@Binge do you have any more pics of your key caps? I would love to get some but at $93 + PH to Aus I would like to see some more pics before I take out my keycap loan :P

Offline gcb

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 19:12:46 »

dolch is the colour scheme found on dolch keyboards

Show Image

Thanks. btw, just looked it up and now i want to buy this just to reuse the keyboard...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dolch-PAC-61-Network-Sniffer-Analyzer-Project-or-Parts-/261487741306?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ce1e2497a

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 20:32:43 »
Thats a later model PAC with scissor switch keyboard... probably not what you really want.

Offline gcb

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 00:19:27 »
Thats a later model PAC with scissor switch keyboard... probably not what you really want.

wow really?! the keys seems high for a scissor.... but again, may just be the bad picture... would love to hack a netbook there with a mechanical keyboard just for the novelty factor.

Offline Jagriff

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 15:39:04 »
The fact that it's not Colemak compatible is my concern. A lot of ErgoDox users use alternative layouts. DSA is just too perfect for that purpose.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 20:16:20 »
There is also set of blank alpha keys for non qwerty user if you want the Dolch colorscheme. Additionally you can always just pick up the modifier set and pair them up with dyesub in Dvorak/Colemak/whatever when I run the next full set PBTs. They are a pretty neutral color so should go well with pretty much anything in Cherry profile.

Offline gcb

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 20:16:53 »
since the massdrop ergo only allowed one set of switches, i got black which i will use for my modifiers, and bought a POS keyboard on ebay with brows. seller highballed me and i ended up paying $30 for that.. :/

it is this one in the pic.

it has a bunch of nice double shot keycaps all in different heights, which i assume i will not be able to use on the ergodox (free to anyone who wants it). but it also has some 40+ 1x1 keys which appear to be DS R3 (i'm still very unsure how to identify those easily)... would i be able to use those as the 1x1 keys on the ergodox? i think i would like the idea of the labelable keys for my training wheels period. :)

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 20:22:29 »
since the massdrop ergo only allowed one set of switches, i got black which i will use for my modifiers, and bought a POS keyboard on ebay with brows. seller highballed me and i ended up paying $30 for that.. :/

it is this one in the pic.

it has a bunch of nice double shot keycaps all in different heights, which i assume i will not be able to use on the ergodox (free to anyone who wants it). but it also has some 40+ 1x1 keys which appear to be DS R3 (i'm still very unsure how to identify those easily)... would i be able to use those as the 1x1 keys on the ergodox? i think i would like the idea of the labelable keys for my training wheels period. :)

relegendables feel **** to type on. You didn't get highballed, you can sell the caps alone for $30, then another 20 from the switches

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 20:26:00 »
With the MOD set I am offering, you could use those keys from the 8113 for the alphanumerics (if you use qwerty) and have a full set.
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 June 2014, 20:28:32 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline gcb

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 18:06:11 »
relegendables feel **** to type on. You didn't get highballed, you can sell the caps alone for $30, then another 20 from the switches

I'm sure they feel ****ty :) but as i said, it is just for the training wheel period... when i had my kinesys some cut post-its on some of the remapped thumb keys helped get used to it. and you can't get ****tier than a key with a piece of ripped post-it :)

yeah, i still think old keyboards should not be more than $20. it is pain to clean it up.

i already ziplock-bag-thumble-washed the caps, the top and middle of the switches... now i'm debating how to clean the bottoms since they are the worst offenders... full of lint on the metal contacts impacting how the slider moves.  and that is after desoldering which is the worst job ever.

With the MOD set I am offering, you could use those keys from the 8113 for the alphanumerics (if you use qwerty) and have a full set.

i'd probably have bought it if you mentioned it on the thread earlier. I was too trigger happy to buy that day. Ended up buying from Binge's site.