Author Topic: IBM 4704 Keyboard Converter  (Read 43373 times)

BasicallyGod and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline jeff_c

Re: IBM 4704 Keyboard Converter
« Reply #100 on: Tue, 17 July 2018, 01:56:22 »
ah you are right. other post has pic of to side of PCB which displays diodes.

Alps models can support Nkro.

I read about how the alps 4704 boards can support NKRO, but I only get 2-key rollover with my keyboard connected to the Hasu controller. Is that a result of buffer limitation on my particular 4704? The model number for my board is 5954339

In other words, should I expect the magic key function to enable NKRO to work on this converter like it does on the HHKB alternate controller?
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 July 2018, 20:51:45 by jeff_c »

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
« Reply #101 on: Fri, 20 July 2018, 17:30:51 »
ah you are right. other post has pic of to side of PCB which displays diodes.

Alps models can support Nkro.

I read about how the alps 4704 boards can support NKRO, but I only get 2-key rollover with my keyboard connected to the Hasu controller. Is that a result of buffer limitation on my particular 4704? The model number for my board is 5954339

In other words, should I expect the magic key function to enable NKRO to work on this converter like it does on the HHKB alternate controller?

I saw diodes in pics on this post so I thought the Alps model should be NKRO if its keyboard firmware supoorts it. I don't see reason it doesn't support, but NKRO depends totally on the 4704 Alps firmware implementation.
https://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/p77-the-tkl-pingmaster-t16419.html#p368597

This converter supports 6KRO on USB by default you can send up to 6 keys plus modifiers if you keyboard supports NKRO. No converter limitation there.
(If you need NKRO on USB you can configure and build firmware yourself, but it is not your problem in this case.)

If you get only 2 keys with this converter your keyboard is 2KRO.
TMK products:HHKB Alt  ⌨ConvertersAlps64FC660C AltFC980C Alt

Online laxfan91

« Reply #102 on: Sun, 26 August 2018, 01:09:38 »
For the alps board, what is the fn key mapped to in the default firmware in your converter? I`m curious.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #103 on: Sun, 26 August 2018, 01:21:52 »
Right bottom key of main alpha part. See keymap editor, L1 means the key turns layer 1 on.

Sent from my WAS-LX2J using Tapatalk

Offline kankurou1010

« Reply #104 on: Tue, 11 September 2018, 18:03:47 »
Hey so I bought your converter and I'm using it on the 6112883 Japanese 102-key. However, I'm a total noob and I don't know what to do  :confused:
How do I get the keyboard to be able to type? I plug it in and it beeps but I can't type on it. Thanks.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #105 on: Tue, 11 September 2018, 19:51:09 »
Hey so I bought your converter and I'm using it on the 6112883 Japanese 102-key. However, I'm a total noob and I don't know what to do  :confused:
How do I get the keyboard to be able to type? I plug it in and it beeps but I can't type on it. Thanks.

I think the converter should work with it out of the box. It is programmed with default firmware when shipped.
DId you try other port or computer? What are your OS?

Use hid_listen to see debug info and could you post it here?
https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/wiki#debug

Offline kankurou1010

« Reply #106 on: Wed, 12 September 2018, 01:26:49 »

I think the converter should work with it out of the box. It is programmed with default firmware when shipped.

So turns out it was because I was using a crappy micro usb cable. Plugged in a different one and now it works. However, some keys aren't typing letters, such as: d s q w z x c. hid_listen is picking them up though. How do I get those to work? I don't understand how to use the tmk editor... I tried both "alps 102 key" editors, but I don't get what I'm supposed to be doing. OS is windows 10 btw.
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 September 2018, 01:29:31 by kankurou1010 »

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #107 on: Wed, 12 September 2018, 01:52:18 »

So turns out it was because I was using a crappy micro usb cable. Plugged in a different one and now it works. However, some keys aren't typing letters, such as: d s q w z x c. hid_listen is picking them up though. How do I get those to work? I don't understand how to use the tmk editor... I tried both "alps 102 key" editors, but I don't get what I'm supposed to be doing. OS is windows 10 btw.

OK. yeah, reliable usb cable is a must have.
Try to download firmware from this page without any change and flash it. I guess you flashed wrong firmware.
http://www.tmk-kbd.com/tmk_keyboard/editor/unimap/?ibm4704_usb_alps

Offline kankurou1010

« Reply #108 on: Wed, 12 September 2018, 02:58:12 »
Am I doing this right? Open page, download "Firmware Hex File Download," select file under "Base Firmware File:" select the downloaded hex, then press "Load Keymap from firmware"?

Didn't fix it. Now, some of the keys that were working aren't.  :confused:

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #109 on: Wed, 12 September 2018, 08:57:11 »
Am I doing this right? Open page, download "Firmware Hex File Download," select file under "Base Firmware File:" select the downloaded hex, then press "Load Keymap from firmware"?

Open the link and just click 'Download' button without touching anything to download default firmware.

Offline kankurou1010

« Reply #110 on: Wed, 12 September 2018, 14:33:17 »

Open the link and just click 'Download' button without touching anything to download default firmware.

Got it. All is working. Thanks for the help!  :thumb:

Offline fr08

« Reply #111 on: Mon, 08 October 2018, 13:36:42 »
I'm having a weird issue, been using a Pingmaster (6112883) with this controller for like a week without any problems. In fact it was much easier than I thought.

But earlier today my up, down, left and right keys started outputting 8, 2, 4 and 6 instead. I've tried reflashing multiple times, even with old .hex files and with the "preset" that's on http://www.tmk-kbd.com/tmk_keyboard/editor/unimap/?ibm4704_usb_alps

But nothing changes. Even if I put "no" on those keys, they still gives me 8, 2, 4 and 6.

What could be wrong? Have I messed up somehow? :(

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #112 on: Mon, 08 October 2018, 17:22:14 »
If you are using TMK preassebled covnerter URL you linked is correct and it should work.
Open browser with the URL and try reloading the page again before download firmware without editing.

I guess you flashed wrong firmware which is for IBM Capacitive models.