Author Topic: 3D Model of Plates for MX Switch Mounting  (Read 1957 times)

Offline sublime

3D Model of Plates for MX Switch Mounting
« on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 22:53:19 »
I'm looking to rig together some mx switches and a teensy. I have my own 3D printer, so I'd like to a plate to stick the switches in (no USB just spaghetti).

Does anyone have a stock 60% or so model they can upload? I'm going to modify it to my needs and will release if people want it. Somewhere to start would be nice is all :)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
Re: 3D Model of Plates for MX Switch Mounting
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 23:00:00 »
I'm looking to rig together some mx switches and a teensy. I have my own 3D printer, so I'd like to a plate to stick the switches in (no USB just spaghetti).

Does anyone have a stock 60% or so model they can upload? I'm going to modify it to my needs and will release if people want it. Somewhere to start would be nice is all :)

While I am not sure if there are any 3d models floating around for a 60% plate but you could check the GH Cad Resources thread.  It is a sticky in this section.  If you need to do the CAD work yourself the distance between 1x keys is .75 inches both horizontally and vertically.  This dimension is from center to center of the hole.  The hole dimensions are .551 inch x .551 inch +/-.002 inch with max radius in the corners of .012 inch.  The thickness of the plate should be .060 inch +/-.004 inch.  These dimensions are from Cherry Corp. The one exception to the dimensions is the center to center which is from Signature Plastics and is a pretty widely used constant for MX switches.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline sublime

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 23:20:55 »

While I am not sure if there are any 3d models floating around for a 60% plate but you could check the GH Cad Resources thread.  It is a sticky in this section.  If you need to do the CAD work yourself the distance between 1x keys is .75 inches both horizontally and vertically.  This dimension is from center to center of the hole.  The hole dimensions are .551 inch x .551 inch +/-.002 inch with max radius in the corners of .012 inch.  The thickness of the plate should be .060 inch +/-.004 inch.  These dimensions are from Cherry Corp. The one exception to the dimensions is the center to center which is from Signature Plastics and is a pretty widely used constant for MX switches.

Thanks for all the info. I'll dig around for stuff. The dimensions are especially useful (I'd even say necessary! ;) )

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 23:30:52 »

Thanks for all the info. I'll dig around for stuff. The dimensions are especially useful (I'd even say necessary! ;) )

Not a problem.  I am not sure what you have open to you for a 3d printer but keep those tolerances in mind for the switch holes.  If you can't keep the tolerances that tight with the printer I would under size the holes and then open them up manually with a hand file.  If they fit loose to the point that they fall out there isn't a lot you can do aside from glue the switch housing into the hole. 

Although I am in the process of hand wiring a rebranded WYSE keyboard mostly as a practice excersize for my brushed behemoth build.  In that I had to keep the PCB for the bottom row because the space bar stabilizers are PCB mount so the holes in the plate won't accept plate mount.  So I cut the bottom row off and and bypassing the traces.  Well without a PCB to solder the switches to and the age of the plate (case date is 1983, PCB date is 1985 with a manufacturing stamp of 1995) the plate holes were stamped would be my guess so some of the switches would actually fall out of the plate without the PCB.  I was able to fix this by applying finger nail polish to only the inside edges of the holes.  It did take forever to dry and had to re apply on some holes when I removed the switches to lube the stems.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich