Author Topic: Scissor switches  (Read 21270 times)

Offline ianxblog

• no
Scissor switches
« on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 23:15:36 »
What you guys think about scissor switch keyboards?
I find some models very pleasant to type on. Maybe equal or sometimes better than linear switches.
Obviously they are not better than clicky switches, but they are 10 times better than most regular membranes. Gosh, I hate that mushyness. Scissors are pretty solid in comparation.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
Re: Scissor switches
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 23:16:10 »
Nah
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 23:18:28 »
I find the travel to be too short for my taste, in general.

I believe they are used in the typematrix boards.

Of all the laptop manufacturers, I much prefer Fujitsu's scissor keyboards, from two generations back. (from the lifebook T2010/4210/4220/5010 and 900).

I was reminded of something by this:
I use a Toshiba satellite laptop (Never buy one) And the keyboard on here is pretty **** feeling to be honest. I mean I would prefer a decent membrane to this.
My least favorite of all the different laptop keyboards I've ever tried (several thousand laptops I've typed on) are the cheap keyboards toshiba uses in their lower-end laptops, the satellite pro among them.
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 February 2014, 23:28:38 by dorkvader »

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 23:22:22 »
I use a Toshiba satellite laptop (Never buy one) And the keyboard on here is pretty **** feeling to be honest. I mean I would prefer a decent membrane to this.

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 00:25:17 »
I don't likes them one bit. Smash finger type style.
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline SonOfSonOfSpock

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 00:32:48 »
It depends on the quality, but I think they're ok. The abrupt, short travel is not my ideal of comfort. Plus over time they get stiffer. I'd take a good scissor switch over certain mechanical switches.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 01:14:51 »
Logitech's has a scissor switch they named PerfectStroke which has 3.2 mm key travel. Compare that to Alps which has 3.5 mm key travel. PerfectStroke is found in the DiNovo Edge and in some (but not all) of the Logitech Illuminated (K800, K740), and in some more... but I think that most of them are discontinued now.
🍉

Offline Gid

• ... morning already?
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 01:22:24 »
Of all the laptop manufacturers, I much prefer Fujitsu's scissor keyboards, from two generations back. (from the lifebook T2010/4210/4220/5010 and 900).

Wow.  I typed on one of these for almost a decade.  Never realized I had it so good.

Actually, maybe I did.  When I first made the switch to mechanical, I immediately doubted my choice.  The short travel distance with scissors switches is a boon, not a drawback.  Of course, I got used to mechanical and now enjoy both.

Ain't no shame in a good scissors switch keyboard.

Offline Kamen Rider Blade

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 04:25:30 »
Logitech's has a scissor switch they named PerfectStroke which has 3.2 mm key travel. Compare that to Alps which has 3.5 mm key travel. PerfectStroke is found in the DiNovo Edge and in some (but not all) of the Logitech Illuminated (K800, K740), and in some more... but I think that most of them are discontinued now.

From what I can tell, Logitech has quite the large lineup of Scissor Switch Keyboards with PerfectStroke switches.

That's what it looks like on their website.

Has anybody tried any of those listed keyboards?

Offline ianxblog

• no
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 05:14:30 »
I might want to try the A4Tech Isolation. It's like a Mac aluminum keyboard.

Offline paldepind

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 06:02:46 »
I generally prefer scissor switches to membrane keyboards. In my experience they often have a better click feeling than membrane keyboards. The switches on my ThinkPad W530 is the best I've tried and I was quite impressed with it when I first got the laptop (I've heard other models have even less sucky keyboards). But I still think a good membrane keyboard (I have an AKG membrane board that's significantly better than typical membranes) can beat any scissor switches due to the longer travel.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 06:47:58 »
I really liked the Logitech K750 before I had a mechanical keyboard. I've still got a  spare NIB one :D

Offline kod

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 09:18:45 »
I actually really like scissor switch keyboards (at least, some of them).

Older thinkpads are awesome, even cheap scissor switch keyboards have the advantage of being quite thin so you can get them closer to your lap.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 10:55:50 »
I neglected to say that I have used the DiNovo Edge a bit. I quite liked it, except for the flatness that almost all scissor switch keyboards have.

Scissor switch keyboards with curved backplane do exist but they are unusual.

In my experience they often have a better click feeling than membrane keyboards.
There is no such thing as "click feeling". Click is sound! Learn that!
What you are thinking of is properly described as "sharp tactility".
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 February 2014, 10:58:18 by Findecanor »
🍉

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 11:00:46 »
Personally I like Scissor switch boards, but only when they're new and crisp. I'd love a low profile short throw mechanical switch that maintains the feel of a brand new, crisp scissor switch throughout it's lifetime. Not sure how that'd work though.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 12:01:27 »
Some are actually quite nice. Quality is certainly a differentiating factor; the SteelSeries scissor keyboard on my laptop actually feels quite pleasant to type on compared to non-mechanicals, and I've gotten quite decent wpm out of it. However, seeing as I have a very portable Topre keyboard and a slightly less portable MX Blue board, I'm not forced to use it unless I'm just lounging around.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline steve.v

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 14:43:37 »
What you guys think about scissor switch keyboards?
I find some models very pleasant to type on. Maybe equal or sometimes better than linear switches.
Obviously they are not better than clicky switches, but they are 10 times better than most regular membranes. Gosh, I hate that mushyness. Scissors are pretty solid in comparation.

Here are my pros and cons regarding my Logitech's K800 wireless scissor switch:

Pros:
Light actuation force - strength
Travel is very small - endurance
Keys are very responsive in nature, springs back up immediately once fingers are let go - speed
Bottoming out actually feels quite nice - resistance

Cons (important considerations):
No room for errors when typing, actuation occurs immediately once a key is pressed - accuracy
For my medium size hands, the keys are somewhat close to each other - comfortability

More detail experience:

I currently own a Logitech K800 wireless. This keyboard carries the perfectstroke scissor switch;
although I would disagree on the marketing ploy of using the term "perfect" to describe a technology because it's subjective in nature.
However I do find this particular scissor switch to be very comfortable to type on; way much better than my previously goto apple wireless keyboard.
The keys does have an initial force required to actuate the keys but it's very light.
The K800 keys actuates immediately at the top and therefore travels a very short distance to the bottom.
For a lack of better term hypocritically, I think the travel on this keyboard key's are perfect (for typing in mind, not gaming).
The travel enables me to minimize finger travel vertically.
Bottoming out will always occur due to the minimal amount of travel, but the response in the switch makes the keys spring back up instantaneously the moment you let off a finger making consecutive keypresses comfortable for me;
Comparable to the blues where I found it very easy to bottom out, I didn't really enjoy the amount of travel to re-actuate the keys thus again bottoming out once again in the process;
Combine with the light initial actuation force to press the keys and the responsive nature and feedback of the keys, I find it very comfortable to type on.

Due to the immediate actuation at the top of each keys, I can't really float my fingers or retract a key from being pressed.
This makes accuracy all the more important when typing for long periods on this keyboard.
People who types casually (comfortable speed) may not have trouble at all.
The size and layout reminds me of laptos on this keyboard.
The keys are somewhat close to each other in my opinion, any closer and I think this keyboard may be hard to type on.

Offline gigibecali

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 04:48:04 »
Just bellow old IBM thinkpads, this is my scissor best.

Metal plated. Quality plastic outside. Very good printing.
A bit noisy after 2 years of usage.
Now used by a colleague, on a Mac development machine :)
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 February 2014, 09:00:08 by gigibecali »
IBM M - UK  |  QFR reds  |  QFR blacks  |  HPE 87 browns  |  HPE 87 blues

Offline ianxblog

• no
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 05:07:24 »
Just bellow old IBM thinkpads, this is my scissor best.

(Attachment Link)

Plated. A bit noisy after 2 years of usage.
Now used by a colleague, on a Mac development machine :)

That's the want I posted a few messages before. Wanna try it! Is it better than Mac Aluminium keyboard? Because people talk so good about them and some type real fast.
(I know speed is not the only important, but can't be that bad is you can type fast with it)

Offline tns

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 07:39:51 »
I like to type on it but I broke 2 apple keyboards... some switches are dead

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 07:43:44 »
Been having to type on my laptop keyboard at work for the past several weeks, and to be completely honest it's not all that bad.  Sure, I'd much rather be typing on my QFR or YOTD, but I feel like if I brought my QFR into the office the noise from the MX Blues would drive my boss up the wall. So, scissor switches it is...
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline ajx

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 07:44:23 »

Older thinkpads are awesome, even cheap scissor switch keyboards have the advantage of being quite thin so you can get them closer to your lap.
I really liked the Logitech K750 before I had a mechanical keyboard. I've still got a  spare NIB one :D
are you refering to the solar Logitech keyboard right?
same here, loved it, wireless, huge battery life that could last for months
however i do agree with some of you guys, travel is too short
typing on my Macbook Air is a real pain in comparison of mechanical switch

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 08:01:18 »

are you refering to the solar Logitech keyboard right?
same here, loved it, wireless, huge battery life that could last for months
however i do agree with some of you guys, travel is too short
typing on my Macbook Air is a real pain in comparison of mechanical switch

Yes I loved that it was solar powered and wireless!

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 15:07:36 »
After going from either of my mechanical boards to the scissor switches on my laptop, I feel like I'm going to pound through the bottom of the laptop. So for me, I'm not too fond of them, however, I did have a Razer Lycosa for the longest time, so prior to going the mechanical route, I really didn't have any problems with them. I know I could get used to them again, but I'd rather stick to my vintage blacks and 55g rubber cups =D
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline thesentinel

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 16:34:36 »
In Adobe Illustrator class, we use these keyboards:

The build quality is real good, aluminum. The keys felt crisp, smooth and bouncy and a little tactile, almost like popping bubblewrap. I actually was thinking "Maybe this is how a topre feels like." Though, I hope topres feel better considering their horrible price.
Keyboards are the only thing keeping me from consuming human flesh.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 18:35:40 »
They do, definitely

Offline luis911

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 19:20:20 »

Show Image

The build quality is real good, aluminum. The keys felt crisp, smooth and bouncy and a little tactile, almost like popping bubblewrap. I actually was thinking "Maybe this is how a topre feels like." Though, I hope topres feel better considering their horrible price.
I have the apple wireless keyboard and I'm getting my topre soon. I'll let you know if they are similar.
Check out my website FDMPrints.org

Offline thesentinel

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 20:52:24 »

Show Image

I have the apple wireless keyboard and I'm getting my topre soon. I'll let you know if they are similar.

I appreciate it P:

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 21:56:53 »

From what I can tell, Logitech has quite the large lineup of Scissor Switch Keyboards with PerfectStroke switches.

Yeah my cousin owns the Logitech Illuminated Keyboard, it's one of the best non-mechanical keyboard around and I really liked it.  On the other hand, I also really like Topre short throw and Cherry ML switches.

Too bad they were designed to be compact so all the keyboards that uses those switch have smaller than usual key spacing and keycap size.  Which I find a little bit uncomfortable to use.  I hope they make a proper sizing keyboard with those switches.

:D

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline ianxblog

• no
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 22:24:48 »

Yeah my cousin owns the Logitech Illuminated Keyboard, it's one of the best non-mechanical keyboard around and I really liked it.  On the other hand, I also really like Topre short throw and Cherry ML switches.

Too bad they were designed to be compact so all the keyboards that uses those switch have smaller than usual key spacing and keycap size.  Which I find a little bit uncomfortable to use.  I hope they make a proper sizing keyboard with those switches.

:D

I think the A4Tech KV-300H "Isolation", mentioned above has regular keycap size.
Anyways I would like to see a regular shaped keycap with scissor switches. I mean, obviously low profile, but with the cylindrical shape.
Like those slim but not scissor RDs

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 16 February 2014, 00:23:44 »

Show Image

I'd say they're topre feels more similar to apple scissor switches than it does to any mx switch. However, you have a longer, smoother keystroke, more tactility, and a MUCH nicer bottom-out.
main kbs:  87UB (55g)  Custom Filco TKL (62g clears)

WTS JD40, Custom Ergoclear Filco

WTB ROHS Red BBv2 (Topre), OG EK Tri-Color Skull (TOPRE)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 18 February 2014, 22:24:53 »

Show Image

I absolutely despise those keyboards.  To me, they're the worst feeling keyboards in the world.  I'm not a huge Topre proselyte since I think they're overhyped and just okay, but Topre is much much better than those chiclet keyboards.

Scissor switches can be good, after all, I love them on my T500, but the Apple keyboards just are finger hell for me.

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 18 February 2014, 22:42:13 »
Oh really? I much prefer those apple keyboards with scissor switches to those mushy dell rubberdomes I seem to see everywhere...although they're both awful compared to my ergo-clear filco.
main kbs:  87UB (55g)  Custom Filco TKL (62g clears)

WTS JD40, Custom Ergoclear Filco

WTB ROHS Red BBv2 (Topre), OG EK Tri-Color Skull (TOPRE)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 18 February 2014, 22:58:19 »
Give me mushy rubber domes over those Apple keyboards any day.  I had them at work in undergrad and if I had to do any work with them that day, I'd walk away with hurting fingertips.

Offline thesentinel

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 18 February 2014, 23:35:05 »
Give me mushy rubber domes over those Apple keyboards any day.  I had them at work in undergrad and if I had to do any work with them that day, I'd walk away with hurting fingertips.

I guess I'm weird.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 19 February 2014, 00:26:07 »
There was one day in college when I was physically exhausted, fell asleep wrong on my arm, apparently pinched off a nerve, and when I woke up, my whole hand was numb and wouldn’t move. After about 2 hours, some slight feeling and movement was restored to my hand, but it remained very weak and semi-numb feeling for about a day. During that day, it was impossible to type on a normal keyboard, but I was just able to type on an Apple aluminum scissor-switch board, with its reduced travel.

Not sure if that proves anything, but hey.

Also, such keyboards are extremely thin and light and portable, so might work well for people who want to carry e.g. a tablet + external keyboard in as small and light a bag as possible.

For doing real sustained work, they obviously suck compared to a normal mechanical keyboard (though they’re substantially nicer than almost all rubber domes), but they do have their place.

Cherry ML is also pretty okay, for similar reasons.