Author Topic: Two or one space after end of sentence?  (Read 16408 times)

Offline FKSSR

Two or one space after end of sentence?
« on: Thu, 05 March 2009, 15:13:33 »
When I was in school, they taught us to put two spaces after a sentence, like after this sentence.  However, when I was in college, they tried to get us to just do one space, like after this sentence. They said that two spaces were only needed when people used typewriters, and it is not necessary on computers.  Therefore, we could just put one space.

Personally, one space looks too cramped for me. I still prefer two spaces.

What do you guys do?  What are your thoughts on it?
Add me on Steam | Twitter

Offline FKSSR

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 05 March 2009, 15:14:50 »
Wait, does this forum standardize to one space?  My examples don't really make sense if you can't see the two spaces.

Well, that starts to answer my questions. ;)

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 05 March 2009, 15:14:51 »
I was taught 2 spaces too, but no one seems to do that anymore these days. I stopped doing it cuz it was too much trouble ;)  Hell, I barely even use capitalization anymore either ;)

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline zwmalone

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 05 March 2009, 15:17:21 »
I do two spaces in normal writing.  When I'm doing web stuff I mostly do one space because  , gets really annoying after doing it a million times :p
Can't get enough of them ALPS

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 05 March 2009, 15:34:23 »
I used to double-space on the typewriter because it was hard to read without, but with sans-serif fonts it seems less necessary. I prefer monospaced fonts for writing so I am in the habit of not double-spacing.

Offline cmr

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 05 March 2009, 16:44:49 »
two spaces is appropriate for monospaced typefaces. it's easier to see where sentences begin and end.

one space is appropriate for proportional typefaces. using two spaces with a proportional typeface creates distracting holes in the text and does not aid legibility. examine any professionally typeset book -- there is one space at the end of each sentence.

web browsers automatically collapse whitespace. no matter how many spaces you put, you'll only get one in the rendered output.

Offline ed_

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 05 March 2009, 18:38:10 »
The Chicago Manual of Style says one space, and they are the authority.

Offline nerp

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 05 March 2009, 18:43:08 »
AP stylebook calls for one space. If you wrote for a newspaper or magazine, your editor would put out a hit on you if you submitted a story with two spaces at the end. You can't grasp how evil it is until you're wrestling with column formatted text with and extra spaces that shouldn't be there, especially if they're justified columns.
U N I.C O M P - Am I the only one that likes the logo?

Offline wheel83

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 05 March 2009, 19:08:32 »
I use two spaces for MLA/college format papers.  Wastes more room.  And you really get the idea of a pause.
I <3 BS

Offline FKSSR

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 05 March 2009, 19:30:25 »
That's good info.  When I was in grad school. No one ever mentioned it. Of course, I studied Sociology, and it might not have been such a big deal there. I'm going to try and get used to one space. It does seem weird to type like that, though.

Offline skriefal

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 05 March 2009, 19:34:53 »
I use two spaces.  One space always looks too cramped.

Offline ozar

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 05 March 2009, 19:35:31 »
I was taught to use two spaces as well, but I think most forum software drops it back to one space even when two are entered.

Offline wumpyr

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 05 March 2009, 19:46:17 »
Well, two spaces historically is correct.  My mother was taught that way back when typewriters were "it" and you survived by ensuring your shorthand was up to scratch and translating/typing it up at > 100wpm.  I picked it up from her, and to this day I still correct people/documents.  The publishing arm of the company I work for also mandates two spaces for books.  Newspapers seem to do their own thing, probably more about making use of the space available than anything else...

Bah - yes this forum is displaying only one space when I type two - how dare it!
IBM Model M13 Raven Black \'96, \'97 (2), \'98 (2)
IBM Model M13 Industrial Gray \'96 (2)
IBM Model M Industrial Gray \'88, \'94
IBM Model M White Label 1391401 \'92
IBM Model M International \'95 (2), \'96
IBM Model M 52G9658 \'93
IBM Model M 1370475 Mini \'93

Offline cchan

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 05 March 2009, 22:02:59 »
I've never been taught that two spaces after a sentence is even remotely right, so I've always single spaced after a sentence. Wheels does raise a valid point though.... maybe I should double space after sentence if I'm writing a research paper just so I don't have to write quite as much.
HP Envy17: Core i7-2760QM, 8GB DDR3, 128GB Crucial m4 + 750GB Hitachi, Windows 7 Home Premium x64, Cherry ML4100, Logitech M500, HP zr22w
IBM Thinkpad X60: Core Duo T2400, 2GB DDR2, 128GB Samsung 830, Xubuntu 12.04 x86, Cherry ML4100, Logitech M205, HP zr22w
Raspberry Pi Model B: BCM2835, 0.25GB DDR2, 8GB Samsung SD card, Raspbian Wheezy, human interaction devices as above

Offline FKSSR

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 05 March 2009, 22:11:23 »
Well, I guess it's two spaces for academic and novel writing and one space for journalistic writing and forum/internet writing. :)

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 05 March 2009, 22:52:27 »
It's actually not necessarily this forum that's doing it - HTML only displays one space, unless you specifically use non-breaking spaces.

Offline lal

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 06 March 2009, 00:00:49 »
LaTeX anyone? It puts a longer horizontal space after the end of sentences automatically.
BS: Customizer, Model Ms; Alps: CSK-2101, FK-2002, AT-101 (SGI & Dell), MCK-860, FKBN87Z/EB; Cherry: Poker X, FKBN87MC/EB, WY60, G80-3000, G84-4100, TDV 5010

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 06 March 2009, 00:54:42 »
I always type two spaces after a period and one space after a comma.  It's how I learned and will likely never change.

Offline pex

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 06 March 2009, 00:56:10 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;23677
It's actually not necessarily this forum that's doing it - HTML only displays one space, unless you specifically use non-breaking spaces.

I had never learned anything but two spaces after an end of sentence denoted by a period, but HTML basically ruined English for everyone by requiring the   to make that double-spacing occur (maybe back in 2.0 or 3.1 of the standard, anyway.)
Ж®Cherry G80-8113 (someday I hope to have one that reads magstripes, rfid cards, and smartcards), broken \'98 42H1292 Model M, some other Model M from a decade before that, 30 more keyboards in a box, 4 more lying here or there
Destroying Sanctity: my Model M project. Status: Dead.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 06 March 2009, 07:18:53 »
It's always two spaces between sentences.  It's the law.  D*mmit.

:P

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 06 March 2009, 07:19:32 »
Quote from: iMav;23688
I always type two spaces after a period and one space after a comma.  It's how I learned and will likely never change.

You're my hero.

Offline Biggs

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 06 March 2009, 11:32:58 »
Another vote for two spaces .

Offline cmr

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 06 March 2009, 16:28:03 »
Quote from: wumpyr;23663
Bah - yes this forum is displaying only one space when I type two - how dare it!

again, it's not the forum software, it's the whitespace-collapsing behavior of your browser. one space at the end of sentences has been standard for so long that it wasn't even an issue worth considering when people started to write the first web browsers.

Offline DarthShrine

• http://blog.darthshrine.com
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 06 March 2009, 19:57:00 »
I've always only used the one, and never thought to do it otherwise.
Das Keyboard Ultimate
IBM Model M 1391401 (born in 1990)
Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional 2

Offline bigpook

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 06 March 2009, 20:03:51 »
That 2 space rule is news to me. But I am not real typist.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline tamasrepus

• http://blog.samat.org/
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 06 March 2009, 20:12:45 »
Something to point out, text completion systems on phones with QWERTY keyboards (such as the iPhone and the G1/Android) replace two spaces with a period and a space. It's an easy way to end sentences. Hopefully we'll start seeing more correct grammar in text messages.
Noppoo Choc Mini w/ Cherry MX Brown
Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional 2, Black w/labels
Topre Realforce 87U, 55g
ABS M1
Happy Hacking Keyboard Lite 2
Logitech diNovo Edge
Sun Type 6 USB

Offline ozar

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 06 March 2009, 20:17:07 »
At About.com they say whether you should use two spaces or just one depends on what you are doing:

http://desktoppub.about.com/cs/typespacing/a/onetwospaces.htm

Offline CX23882

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 07 March 2009, 14:05:24 »
I was taught one space after comma, two after full stop.  This was about 15 years ago in the UK (using PCs, not typewriters).

I can understand the reasoning behind using one space after a full stop but I don't think I'll ever stop using two.  On the other hand, people who don't use a space after a comma should be forced to donate their partially-unused keyboard to geekhack members as punishment.

Off-topic, I seem to keep hitting double space on my G80-3000 even when I don't want to - such as between words.  I don't know if it's my KVM playing up (I hate USB KVMs) or if I'm tapping the key with my thumb when typing, or worst of all if there is some debounce problem with that switch.  I've never done it on other keyboards.

Offline pex

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 07 March 2009, 17:51:22 »
Quote from: iMav;23688

I blame the move toward change on godless collegiate liberals trying to infiltrate our rich cultural history of double-spacing with their single-spacing elitism.  Conservatives unite!
Ж®Cherry G80-8113 (someday I hope to have one that reads magstripes, rfid cards, and smartcards), broken \'98 42H1292 Model M, some other Model M from a decade before that, 30 more keyboards in a box, 4 more lying here or there
Destroying Sanctity: my Model M project. Status: Dead.

Offline cmr

« Reply #29 on: Sun, 08 March 2009, 13:40:30 »
this seriously isn't even debated except among people who started typing before the days of proportional fonts on word processors, or people whose typing teachers misled them without knowing what the reasoning was for two spaces after a period. the reign of the monospaced-output typewriter was relatively brief in comparison to the long history of proportional typesetting. one space after a period was the standard for centuries, and now we all have times new roman or something similar so the days of two spaces are over.

Offline dougy

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 11 March 2009, 14:36:27 »
Quote from: cmr;23902
this seriously isn't even debated except among people who started typing before the days of proportional fonts on word processors, or people whose typing teachers misled them without knowing what the reasoning was for two spaces after a period. the reign of the monospaced-output typewriter was relatively brief in comparison to the long history of proportional typesetting. one space after a period was the standard for centuries, and now we all have times new roman or something similar so the days of two spaces are over.

Apparently my print shop teacher also misled me. When we set type he always had us set an em-quad after a period ending a sentence. Spaces were used between words, and en-quads were used with other punctuation. i don't remember if he got that out of a text book, but do remember a kid getting totally reamed for using only spaces and not quads....

Offline D-EJ915

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 11 March 2009, 17:36:44 »
I use two, I think it makes text easier to read...I get lost sometimes reading long stretches of words (if there is no formatting) and the two spaces really helps remember where you were if you get lost.  I think everyone knows what I mean when I mean lose your place reading.

Offline cmr

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 11 March 2009, 17:43:14 »
Quote from: dougy;24133
Apparently my print shop teacher also misled me. When we set type he always had us set an em-quad after a period ending a sentence. Spaces were used between words, and en-quads were used with other punctuation. i don't remember if he got that out of a text book, but do remember a kid getting totally reamed for using only spaces and not quads....

and in a print shop you're also doing a lot of other things that affect the flow and spacing of text, like justification, kerning, hair spaces here and there...  most people should leave that stuff to the pros and just follow the rule of thumb.

Offline dougy

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 11 March 2009, 20:00:43 »
Quote from: cmr;24167
and in a print shop you're also doing a lot of other things that affect the flow and spacing of text, like justification, kerning, hair spaces here and there...  most people should leave that stuff to the pros and just follow the rule of thumb.

But where does the rule of thumb come from? Here's a quote from "American Dictionary of Printing and Bookmaking" 1894. I took the liberty of emphasizing the relevant portion.

Quadrat.—The wide and thick space used by compositors where there is a large blank. The lower corner of the lower case is appropriated to quadrats, three kinds being placed together. The em quadrat is the basis of computation for all spaces and quadrats. It is a parallelogram, about three-quarters of an inch high and perfectly square on its four sides. A line is said to be so many ems wide if so many em quadrats will enter it. This name is derived from the letter m, which approximates to an em in thickness, but it does not appear that it ever really was of that size. An em quadrat begins a paragraph in all common matter, separates one sentence from another when the end is indicated by the use of a period, begins the second and succeeding lines in most hanging indentations and is of much use in table work. Daily newspapers permit spacing as wide as this in case of necessity. This quadrat is not used in France at the t-nd of complete sentences, but the period is there followed bv an en quadrat or by the space of the rest of the line. The en quadrat serves instead of the composing space when it is desired to widen the spacing in order to justify a line ; it is used after a colon and a semicolon, and also after an exclamation or interrogation, when these do not make separate sentences ; it indicates in table work the distinction between dollars and cents and frequently does in other places ; on some daily news

Looking at a capital M in Century schoolbook it appears closer to 3 spaces wide. Personally I've always used 2 spaces.

Offline megarat

• (Not My Real Name)
    • http://www.megarat.com
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 15 March 2009, 16:39:59 »
Quote from: itlnstln;23697
It's always two spaces between sentences.  It's the law.  D*mmit.

:P

I agree one hundred percent.  One space after commas and semicolons, two spaces after periods and colons.  I learned it this way in middle school back in the early '80s, and it makes logical/aesthetic sense as well.  

It would be interesting to see this post as a survey, to get actual numbers.

Home/Work:  Custom Filco FKBN87Z/EB and SGI 041-0136-001 chimera (original white ALPS, not simplified, rubber-dampened)
Gaming:  Wolfking Warrior with custom-colored layout, HHKB Lite 2 (Rubber dome)

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 16 March 2009, 07:01:34 »
Quote from: webwit;24579
I wonder if this is an American thing. I never heard or saw this until my first encounters with the New World on Usenet, in my first year of Computer Science. It looked like typos to me, not being used to them. Uhoh, he double hit the space. Only later I learned it was some rule. I never saw a use for it, because a sentence already has two characters to separate it from others, and the period already provides extra white space to the right (in case of fixed width), and it was never a problem. So if you use this, you're training your eyes to be less perceptive for the other form, which is just as effective if you had chosen that way instead ;)

To be honest, I really can't tell if someone is using one or two spaces between sentences.  I learned to type from mym when I was young, and back then, it was the standard practice.  You are right, though, I usually see the period, and that's how I know I have reached the end of a sentence.

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 24 March 2009, 08:52:01 »
One space after a period here.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline ctrl-a

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 26 March 2009, 04:09:20 »
Quote from: cmr;23641
two spaces is appropriate for monospaced typefaces. it's easier to see where sentences begin and end.

one space is appropriate for proportional typefaces. using two spaces with a proportional typeface creates distracting holes in the text and does not aid legibility. examine any professionally typeset book -- there is one space at the end of each sentence.

web browsers automatically collapse whitespace. no matter how many spaces you put, you'll only get one in the rendered output.

That's the way I see it too.

Basically if you're working with plain-text you should use 2 spaces, other wise 1. I think word processors & other WYIWYG tools are supposed space sentences correctly for you in the display anyway.

Offline ktkr

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 26 March 2009, 12:18:55 »
Personally, I have never even heard of using two spaces until I read this thread, and I've studied things which involve typing a lot.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 26 March 2009, 12:23:16 »
Quote from: ktkr;25586
Personally, I have never even heard of using two spaces until I read this thread, and I've studied things which involve typing a lot.

How old are you?  I would imagine that the two-space thing is more prominent amongst some of our elder members (including myself).

Offline ktkr

« Reply #40 on: Thu, 26 March 2009, 12:26:21 »
Quote from: itlnstln;25587
How old are you?  I would imagine that the two-space thing is more prominent amongst some of our elder members (including myself).

That might be, as I'm turning 22 this year.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 26 March 2009, 12:45:00 »
BTW, ktkr, welcome to GeekHack! :)

Offline wheel83

« Reply #42 on: Thu, 26 March 2009, 23:37:49 »
i'm 25 and every teacher I had up until 12th grade all required 2 spaces after a period.  and these were private schools with very good english teachers.  they made it seem like it was mandatory for MLA format, which is supposedly the way to write college papers.    

I think I will be using two forever.  It's just habit by now, and I think it looks better to be honest.
I <3 BS

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #43 on: Fri, 27 March 2009, 06:24:51 »
To me, it seems to define an abbreviation vs. the end of a sentence.  If you are paying attention to what you read, it shouldn't make a difference.  Nevertheless, I am a two-spacer.

Offline FKSSR

« Reply #44 on: Fri, 27 March 2009, 08:42:33 »
Yeah, I think age has something to do with it.  As I said in my original post, I had never heard of only using one space until I was in college.  So, it seemed obvious to me that the rule was changing (at least for my area or college or whatever - other people elsewhere may have been using one space for longer).

Offline RoboKrikit

« Reply #45 on: Mon, 17 January 2011, 21:18:33 »
Quote from: Slate Wanker
What galls me about two-spacers isn't just their numbers. It's their certainty that they're right.

The nerve!
Lovely day for a GUINNESS

Offline j_r

« Reply #46 on: Mon, 17 January 2011, 22:30:26 »
A rule of thumb is a rule of thumb.  A good writer can get away with run-ons, but for ease of scanning pages the double-space works nicely.  I must confess - I am a two spacer and even use punctuation in text messages because they ****ing annoy me (but that is just my own idiosyncrasy).  But really, I think diction is more annoying - blatantly ignorant of usage.  But, ****, with any hope in a few hundred years, English will be dead and only language scholars will care.

HID
Keyboard: Leopold FC200RC/AB; horrible ASUS rubber dome keyboard; (3) vintage AT keyboards: Tandy 2000 with horrible switches (Fujitsu), NMB RT2257TW, Fujitsu FKB 4800 (need drivers...)
Mouse: RAT5 mouse

Offline Sam

« Reply #47 on: Mon, 17 January 2011, 22:54:06 »
I was also taught to always use two spaces after the end of a sentence, to distinguish it from single spaces used within sentences.  Even when using web interfaces that truncate multiple spaces, I still do this out of habit.  I do think it makes a lot of logical sense in that white space is very cheap and wise use of it makes things much more readable.

On a somewhat related note, when coding I always use a ton of white space.  Most coders seem to be into trying to make things very compact.  I think it only makes it more difficult to read.  Of course one can take things too far and make it less readable by using too much white space, but my general feeling is that as time progresses, people use less and less white space while the cost of white space is decreasing.  We should be using more, not less.

Of course most everyone can read something even by leaving out lots of spaces and other characters.  But I feel it's a matter of courtesy and professionalism that you care about the person reading what you write and your desire to have what you write read that drives you to format it in pleasing manner.  This includes not only wise use of white space, but proper punctuation, capitalization, paragraphs, etc.

I know I'm much more likely to ignore something written like a cryptic SMS message than something using correct and properly formatted text without overusing/abusing abbreviations and shortcuts.  But maybe I'm just old-fashioned.

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #48 on: Mon, 17 January 2011, 23:33:58 »
I use 2 spaces always, no wonder my space bars glisten.
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline digitalleftovers

« Reply #49 on: Mon, 17 January 2011, 23:55:01 »
I was taught 2 spaces at the end, also.  I found this to be a consistent requirement through 4th grade or so, and then my complacent public school educators stopped carring.  The last teacher that I had that inforced it was teacher of the year for my state 2 years in a row.  Clearly, she was right...

I also appreciate the use of white space in coding, for myself and for others.  I especially dislike the way that for-loop parameters, and other compact arithmetic look without white space.
Keyboards:
Filco 104 MX Brown (Otaku) - FKBN104M/NPEK 黒い空
Ducky TKL MX Brown/Blue 80% (White) - 1087-F 白の空
KBC Poker MX Red with PBT Key Caps - PFCN6000

"Consumers use touch screens.  Producers use keyboards."