Author Topic: College level Linear Algebra.  (Read 3253 times)

Offline luis911

College level Linear Algebra.
« on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 17:28:05 »
Who has taken it? Any usefull tips.
Check out my website FDMPrints.org

Offline lcs

• Lover of Grape Drank
  • はやく
Re: College level Linear Algebra.
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 17:30:10 »
Study.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 17:31:35 »
Get a graphing calculator.

Offline luis911

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 17:34:44 »
Get a graphing calculator.
Oh, Actually Graphing calculators are useless for exams. We can only use a ti-30. (Mechanical Engineer, NYU)

Now, I do own a ti-89, but I still want to understand the fundamental concepts in Linear.

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 17:51:54 »
Hook up with someone who seems to be doing well and study with them. I'd say talk to your instructor after class, but I had some that were real jack-asses (my Calc2 instructor was a real *******.)
SSKs for everyone!

Offline luis911

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 17:55:30 »
Hook up with someone who seems to be doing well and study with them. I'd say talk to your instructor after class, but I had some that were real jack-asses (my Calc2 instructor was a real *******.)

Ugh...Calc 2

Offline Charizard^

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 21:49:28 »
You could always try Khan Academy or Wolfram Alpha

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
  •  Post Reporting Timeout
  • Who is that kmiller8 guy?
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 21:57:39 »
Took it last semester, I'd give you the same advice as any other college class. Go talk with the professor during their office hours, they love that ****. At the very end of the day, it's the professor who decides your grade, not your work.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 21:58:20 »
Do the practice problems and study.  Do you have a tendency to struggle in math courses?  If you do then you might have some difficulty, but if you tend to do alright then it shouldn't be too much harder than usual.

Offline Charizard^

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 22:10:29 »
Took it last semester, I'd give you the same advice as any other college class. Go talk with the professor during their office hours, they love that ****. At the very end of the day, it's the professor who decides your grade, not your work.

This is great advice, the only thing is that it may be more difficult if the class is large.

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 22:13:14 »

This is great advice, the only thing is that it may be more difficult if the class is large.

That and most of these guys/gals aren't "professors" but udergrads teaching for a professor. NYU is a VERY good school. I don't know how much "hands-on" help you can expect.
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 February 2014, 22:17:52 by smknjoe »
SSKs for everyone!

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 22:16:57 »
What Linear Algebra class is "large"

I took it in university, but that was over ten years ago.  It was a fourth-year math class, so your roster was 80 percent math majors, 20 percent CompSci majors who could take  it as fulfilling an "additional maths or science" requirement.

The way I was taught it, it was basically three different structural techniques to apply to the exact same problems.  I recall one involved matrices.  If you can find materials that use the same structure, that might give you an "escape plan"-- if you can't solve the problems with one methodology, switch to the other.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline Charizard^

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 22:27:24 »
What Linear Algebra class is "large"

I took it in university, but that was over ten years ago.  It was a fourth-year math class, so your roster was 80 percent math majors, 20 percent CompSci majors who could take  it as fulfilling an "additional maths or science" requirement.

The way I was taught it, it was basically three different structural techniques to apply to the exact same problems.  I recall one involved matrices.  If you can find materials that use the same structure, that might give you an "escape plan"-- if you can't solve the problems with one methodology, switch to the other.

Oh okay, I just made the assumption. Sorry.

Offline iri

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 22:49:05 »
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline n0rvig

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 23:16:18 »
Study.

Seriously.

DO NOT FALL BEHIND. I wasted the first month and had to struggle so hard just to scrap past.

Study.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 23:30:44 »
Oh, Actually Graphing calculators are useless for exams.
Calculators were even forbidden at exams where I studied linear algebra, and other math.

Yes, and it was a way to fulfill "additional math or science" requirement as a Comp Sci major..  :-[
🍉

Offline FinancialWar

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 23:33:11 »
Maths is the best, had to study heaps for my actuarial degree.
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 23:34:06 »
I took it and it was actually very easy for me, so I'm probably not the best person to give advice.  But I think reading carefully and doing a lot of practice exercises will help if you're having trouble.  Thing about linear algebra is that it's extremely logical and methodical--at least the introductory course.  There's really not that much abstraction there.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline iri

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 23:43:06 »
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline FinancialWar

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 23:51:51 »
be Asian.

Offline luis911

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 23:59:27 »

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 00:54:10 »
Most introductory linear algebra courses are pretty straight-forward; all the more interesting and potentially challenging part typically comes in courses aimed at grad students.

The undergraduate linear algebra courses I’ve seen spend inordinately much time on the “invertible matrix theorem” (sometimes called something else), which is basically a big list of 10-20 (depending on the textbook) equivalent statements about a linear transformation / matrix. Then they usually have sections about determinants, orthogonal matrices and orthogonalizing, dealing with symmetric and positive definite matrices, and finding and using eigenvalues and eigenvectors, etc. Frankly, all of this material can be learned by a motivated student in 3-4 weeks of a couple hours a day of dedicated effort, and padding it out to a semester makes it all feel pretty slow.

If you have any specific linear algebra topics that you’re having trouble with or are curious about, I’m sure there are folks around here who’d be glad to offer advice.

Offline FinancialWar

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 01:45:39 »
For calculus, the undisputed author is Stewart.

What is the gold standard textbook for linear algebra I'm curious?

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 02:27:32 »
For calculus, the undisputed author is Stewart.
You have to be kidding.

Offline adhoc

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 04:40:11 »
What useful tips? Linear algebra is probably the easiest you can get when it comes to uni maths. Are you good with maths? You'll have no trouble with it whatsoever. If you're not, well I don't know, you might have some problems or something?

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 15:46:32 »
I took a linear algebra course few years ago and then an algebra course (universal algebra, lattices). Two tips.

First, practice even the simplest proofs, the stupid-looking one-liners. This sort of stuff should better become completely natural.

Second, most stuff (like homomorphisms and congruences) is actually pretty similar across various algebraic structures. If you understand the bigger picture, studying gets much easier.

Obviously, it's almost irrelevant, if you take only an introductory class that doesn't include definition-theorem-proof lectures.

Offline n0rvig

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 14:37:51 »
This site might have some helpful info too.

https://gumroad.com/l/noBSLA

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 15:43:59 »
Linear algebra is an intermediary course, that you have to take to bridge from intro calculus to the more interesting and useful mathematics like partial differential equations and statistics and probability.  I agree with the above GH'ers who said Linear Algebra is totally formulaic and logical.   The concepts are not difficult from an intellectual perspective, and it really can be mastered in about 3-4 weeks.  But it's better to master it in the first 3-4 weeks, and not wait until the last 3-4 weeks of the semester, or even worse, don't wait until the last 48 hours of the semester.  You can do this however, if you are like me, but you're going to need to be tutored by a mathematical genius like my college room-mate: Vernon Lin.  I dunno if 'ol Vern is still out there, but if he is, he can prolly teach you a whole semester of linear algebra in about 8 hours.  I think he became a doctor or something.
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline Voixdelion

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 22:15:39 »
Purplemath is a wonderful site which is very good at explaining concept clearly and simply .  Highly recommended. 
"The more you tolerate each other, the less enforcement will happen."-iMav

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 22:17:26 »
Do drugs and/or pick up smoking.
It helps dull the pain.
Unless you're a masochist and like that class.

Offline Xowie

• On Sabbatical
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 20:42:11 »
====
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 July 2015, 11:49:46 by Xowie »
RETIRED