Author Topic: Getting the click sound of blue Cherry switches on keyboard with red switches?  (Read 9590 times)

Offline shaaniqbal

Is there any software I can download to simulate the click of a clicky switch through the speakers with my keyboard that uses linear mechanical switches?

Offline luis911

Is there any software I can download to simulate the click of a clicky switch through the speakers with my keyboard that uses linear mechanical switches?

:eek:
Check out my website FDMPrints.org

Offline eddie

• ¥¥¥¥
I know this is off topic but why would you want this?
On topic, I don't know of any program that would play the same click sound at the same time you type on your keyboard. But you could just play a video of someone typing on blues. Here is an example
(not my video)

Edit:
I found a program that produces a sound ever time you click a key. It's called Sound Pilot http://www.colorpilot.com/soundpilot.html . It is super simple to use. Basically all you have to do is install it and start typing. It is preset to sound like a type writer which really annoying but you have the option to add additional sound schemes which makes me think you could probably make your own sound scheme that replicates the sound of the cherry mx blue switch. The only problem I found was it lags like hell but I type at around 120 WPM. the program is free

Hopefully this helps.
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 February 2014, 17:30:21 by eddie »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
I think that something like that actually exists.

They did make those keyboards in the 80s-90s with speakers and solenoids built in.

This is not a problem for users of ancient IBM iron and Alps.

Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline shaaniqbal

But surely this wouldn't be difficult to code on a software level? You're just outputting a sound for every keystroke. Any coders reading this who think they could do it?

@eddie, so I can have an auditory feedback letting me know that I have actuated the key, which I can control the volume of software side. Eg at night I'd have it turned down or off.

Offline luis911

But surely this wouldn't be difficult to code on a software level? You're just outputting a sound for every keystroke. Any coders reading this who think they could do it?

@eddie, so I can have an auditory feedback letting me know that I have actuated the key, which I can control the volume of software side. Eg at night I'd have it turned down or off.

But why? Is it for a movie or something?

Offline shaaniqbal

It's so I can get the clickyness of blue switches but being able to adjust its volume. Not for a movie.

@eddie, that's brilliant thanks. I'll try out Sound Pilot.
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 February 2014, 17:29:49 by shaaniqbal »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
The cheap and easy answer is to just pound the hell out of it and bottom out every time.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline eddie

• ¥¥¥¥
It's so I can get the clickyness of blue switches but being able to adjust its volume. Not for a movie.
Do you not like the tactile feel of blues? Also if you reread my first post it gives instructions on how to do this.

Offline tbc

wouldn't this be an appropriate use of an arduino/other microcontroller?
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline shaaniqbal

@eddie, I don't like tactile bumps no. Thanks for the link to Sound Pilot, I'll try it out. Although if it lags that would be a problem. Could anyone script an AutoHotKey script to do it and post it so we can test?
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 February 2014, 17:34:32 by shaaniqbal »

Offline Yslen

Unless you're using high end audio hardware you'll probably run into latency issues, even if the software is coded well.

Offline shaaniqbal

@Yslen, well that is confusing. I can run an FPS game with all its vastly more complex sounds of guns, explosions and so on which my PC seems to handle without lag. I have a mid spec laptop.

Offline shaaniqbal

Just tried Sound Pilot, yeah it can't keep up.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
I can easily say that this is the weirdest reuest I've heard in here.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline luis911

I can easily say that this is the weirdest reuest I've heard in here.

Yea, I mean if you're gonna make it sound like something, make em sound like Topres.  :thumb:

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
I'm very surprised you want this. Auditory feedback doesn't help at all; by the time your brain has registered it, the key has already actuated, and if your computer is playing it, it's going to be hella late anyway. Also I imagine it's kind of hard to float on reds...
main kbs:  87UB (55g)  Custom Filco TKL (62g clears)

WTS JD40, Custom Ergoclear Filco

WTB ROHS Red BBv2 (Topre), OG EK Tri-Color Skull (TOPRE)

Offline shaaniqbal

Hm, maybe you're right that it would be useless. It would still be cool though.

Also, I've never understood why people go for blue cherry switches. What is the appeal to them compared to say brown? I'm quite confused by all the different switches and terms. What does float mean?

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
Float means not bottom out--to stop immediately after the tactile bump, or stop about 3/4ths of the way down on linears.
Most people go for blues are some of the most tactile of stock keyswitches (certainly the most tactile among stock light keyswitches), and many people prefer them for typing.

Offline shaaniqbal

Ah I see. I read somewhere that it was because of a click they made or something and people liked the clicks.
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 February 2014, 21:40:26 by shaaniqbal »

Offline luis911

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
I actually float quite often on reds but only on my orbweaver.  Also, I only have reds on the WASD.  The rest of the switches are clears. 
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
Also, I only have reds on the WASD.  The rest of the switches are clears.

Sorry to get this far off topic, but isn't that awful for typing? I feel like I'd hate it.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
Also, I only have reds on the WASD.  The rest of the switches are clears.

Sorry to get this far off topic, but isn't that awful for typing? I feel like I'd hate it.

I don't type on my orbweaver.  But I do have 6 different stem/spring combinations in my costar Das.  Sorry to get this far off topic.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
do tell
perhaps in pm/another thread

Offline shaaniqbal

Just wondering are there any switches that are exactly the same as blue switches but without the click?
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 February 2014, 22:13:08 by shaaniqbal »

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
Browns are close but the tactile bump on the stem is a touch smaller.  Or you can go with clears but the spring is a bit heavier.  To get the best of both worlds buy some clear switches, pull them apart and put the brown springs.  You not have ergo clears.  I would suggest using a stock clear spring for the space bar due to the weight of the cap.  It has a very real possibility of not letting the stem come back up.  I have not had this problem with my other ergo clears.  But I got the switches used and am not sure how well used they were before I swapped the springs.  I have heard of people having sticking issues with ergo clears using new stems with single unit caps though.  So, YMMV.

Offline phoenix1234

In theory, yes, you can do that by writing a software to hook all keyboard inputs and then play sound. But there must be a big delay due to the fact that the software can only play the sound AFTER it received the key code from the  OS layer.

keyboard -> machine -> OS -> application hook -> processing -> play sound clicky -> soundcard -> speakers -> our ears

Even with a very fast application, I think we still notice a big delay because the physical Cherry MX blue can directly output the sound to our ears

keyboard -> sound clicky -> our ears

So, IMO, the best is not to do that, use physical Cherry MX Blue instead of a simulated sound like that.
 ;D
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 February 2014, 22:00:10 by phoenix1234 »
I like linear switches

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
do tell
perhaps in pm/another thread

PM sent with link

Offline shaaniqbal

The problem with Blue is that it would disturb everyone in my house. I want to be able to hear it through earphones or lower the volume. And I don't like tactile bumps.

To avoid the lag, what if we skip the OS layer and have the click sound built into the keyboard itself. Not a physical sound from the mechanics but an electrical one that could optionally have its volume lowered or increased. And you could plug your earphones in to the keyboard if only you wanted to hear it. This way you would have immediate auditory feedback with linear switches. I wouldn't want to try doing this myself so are any keyboards already made that offer this? It would be a cool feature even if of no practical benefit.
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 February 2014, 22:18:14 by shaaniqbal »

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
The problem with Blue is that it would disturb everyone in my house. I want to be able to hear it through earphones or lower the volume. And I don't like tactile bumps.

Thanks for the suggestion Melvang. Seems a bit complicated.

To avoid the lag, what if we skip the OS layer and have the click sound built into the keyboard itself. Not a physical sound from the mechanics but an electrical one that could optionally have its volume lowered or increased. And you could plug your earphones in to the keyboard if only you wanted to hear it. This way you would have immediate auditory feedback with linear switches. I wouldn't want to try doing this myself so are any keyboards already made that offer this?

With auditory feedback, I could type blindly on Red switches (I mean with my eyes closed).

There have been some that had a speaker in them but I don't have that knowledge, nor am I sure they would even work on a modern machine without further modification.  As far as doing this with a new keyboard that might require one that already has a teensy controller and adding some stuff to the firmware but again that is WAY beyond my knowledge.  Hasu might be able to help with that though.

Offline tbc

To avoid the lag, what if we skip the OS layer and have the click sound built into the keyboard itself. Not a physical sound from the mechanics but an electrical one that could optionally have its volume lowered or increased. And you could plug your earphones in to the keyboard if only you wanted to hear it. This way you would have immediate auditory feedback with linear switches. I wouldn't want to try doing this myself so are any keyboards already made that offer this?

With auditory feedback, I could type blindly on Red switches (I mean with my eyes closed).

There have been some that had a speaker in them but I don't have that knowledge, nor am I sure they would even work on a modern machine without further modification.  As far as doing this with a new keyboard that might require one that already has a teensy controller and adding some stuff to the firmware but again that is WAY beyond my knowledge.  Hasu might be able to help with that though.

is my idea plausible?

raspbery pi with speaker attachment + really small linux distro (or not even a real OS) + firmware to handle usb repeating (faking as a USB hub or something)?

keyboard -> custom box with processor & speaker -> computer
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 February 2014, 23:22:58 by tbc »
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline shaaniqbal

Sorry tbc, I didn't see your post before. To be honest I have no idea about half the things you said. If it works though I would love it.

Offline Findecanor

I know of a freeware program for Windows called ClicKey that makes sounds as you type.

Just wondering are there any switches that are exactly the same as blue switches but without the click?
No. Although the Brown switches were design to be a quiet version of blue, but they are much less tactile. There are people who have superglued the inner white slider inside the blue switches to the stem, but that changes the feel also in other ways... there are some threads on that already.
Clears have a longer tactile bump than blues or browns - I do not think they resemble blues at all.

🍉

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com

is my idea plausible?

raspbery pi with speaker attachment + really small linux distro (or not even a real OS) + firmware to handle usb repeating (faking as a USB hub or something)?

keyboard -> custom box with processor & speaker -> computer

You don't need something as complex as a nano Linux computer.

I think Hasu's converter could do the job. It has just a very cheap Atmega microcontroller, a few passive components around it, and no operating system. it runs a firmware that manages the input from the keyboard, converts it (while interpreting it), and sends new scancodes to an USB output. This firmware is a very smart piece of software, but it is self-contained (no OS, it does just that, but it does it very well).

It has been designed to turn any PS/2 compatible keyboard into a fully programmable keyboard, and as a side benefit I guess the firmware could be modified to emit sounds (maybe just clicks to begin with). The thing is actually almost entirely programmed in C and the source is open. So it could be possible to modify it to emit sounds, that is, if there are still available output lines on the microcontroller. My guess is that there will be at least one available, and this single output line could maybe drive a small speaker or a buzzer.

It is small enough that you can hide it inside most keyboard cases.

If it can be done, there will be no sound delay problem. The firmware reacts in real time to any activity from the keyboard.

Offline shaaniqbal

I know of a freeware program for Windows called ClicKey that makes sounds as you type.

No. Although the Brown switches were design to be a quiet version of blue, but they are much less tactile. There are people who have superglued the inner white slider inside the blue switches to the stem, but that changes the feel also in other ways... there are some threads on that already.
Clears have a longer tactile bump than blues or browns - I do not think they resemble blues at all.

Ah.

Thanks for the link to Clickey. Unfortunately it too can't keep up.