Author Topic: Making a custom case...  (Read 1504 times)

Offline SoullessWhale

Making a custom case...
« on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 21:17:48 »
I have this old LiteOn alps board that I have been using recently and while I love the way it types Im not a huge fan of how it looks. I want to try to either order or make a custom case for it but have no real idea where to begin so Im kind of looking for ideas. I dont really have experience or the tools to make anything too crazy but I figured I would ask you peeps for ideas. I just took it out of its original case to get specs on the size of the board. Pics on the way...

Offline SoullessWhale

Re: Making a custom case...
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 21:28:31 »
pics:

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 21:59:34 »
I stay busy with work and family these days, but I'm still around, lurking.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 18 February 2014, 07:59:43 »
With 1u vertical spacing and 0.5u horizontal spacing, there are lots of existing keyboards out there with the same layout.
I once took a Chicony keyboard with that exact layout, modified a Cherry G80-3000 case and put it in there. Mind you, the Cherry case was not prepped for the plate so most of the work was cutting the borders.

Other than that, I think that laser-cut plywood or MDF > plastic.
🍉

Offline SoullessWhale

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 19 February 2014, 16:49:40 »
With 1u vertical spacing and 0.5u horizontal spacing, there are lots of existing keyboards out there with the same layout.
I once took a Chicony keyboard with that exact layout, modified a Cherry G80-3000 case and put it in there. Mind you, the Cherry case was not prepped for the plate so most of the work was cutting the borders.

Other than that, I think that laser-cut plywood or MDF > plastic.

I plan on trying wood because I think it would compliment the ****ty faded yellow/white very well if I did it right lol