Author Topic: Yay geekhack! Where have you been all my life?  (Read 1016 times)

Offline auralarch

• Foreign script & modding wh*re
Yay geekhack! Where have you been all my life?
« on: Wed, 19 February 2014, 14:27:22 »
I'm Jonny & I'm a keyboardaholic...  Oh wait, wrong forum-  or maybe not.

But seriously, I'm so happy to have found this amazing site.  I've had an odd passion for keyboards & input methods- especially for non-western scripts.
I'm all about mods, hacks & DIY projects of many types.  This definitely looks like and feels like the kind of place I'll feel right at home & in my element.

I wish there were more modifier and function/command keys on keyboards- or at least coded for so that I could remap the redundant doubles to them and use them to create more shortcuts, hotkeys and easier, better ways to access more glyphs directly from the keyboard (without memorizing their hexcode reference point, and to simplify & improve the input of non-western scripts.

I also wish that there were more affordable options for creating/building custom keyboards & keypads!  The actual components needed are dirt cheap to manufacture.  It's nothing short of robbery for companies to charge the ridiculous prices they do for many of their products- particularly the ones that offer more modular, DIY or customization options.  I understand that in some cases, when they are actually manufacturing custom items in small batches, their net costs are much higher.  But in so many cases that isn't so.  And for relatively little $$ new kits could be developed for end users allowing them to build exactly what they want using inexpensive, modular components which could be remodified, upgraded & expanded as desired at a reasonable cost.  Companies could still make their profit and increase their sales.  And regular "joe"s could be a lot more creative constructing devices that fit their needs or suit their fancies. And the world would be a much more interesting place!

I know- I'm idealistic...  But wouldn't that be awesome?!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Re: Yay geekhack! Where have you been all my life?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 19 February 2014, 14:33:28 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Which non-western scripts are you working with?
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."