Author Topic: Are Cherry Red's Strong?  (Read 2521 times)

Offline Woof Woof

Are Cherry Red's Strong?
« on: Thu, 20 February 2014, 06:57:52 »
Hi guys,

I'm thinking about getting a Majestouch-2 Ninja with Cherry Reds. The reason for the reds instead of browns is that I type quite heavily (with purpose, if you've seen Up in the Air!)

But when I get frustrated at work, I type quite hard. Really hard sometimes. My trusty Logitech rubber dome has been putting up with me like a champ for four years now, so I just want to know if I drop some serious paper on a mechanical keyboard, it can take the absuse just as well.

Any other heavy typers able to share their experiences?

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
Re: Are Cherry Red's Strong?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 20 February 2014, 06:59:47 »
All of the Cherry switches can take abuse from hard typing. They're not fragile in that regard. However, your hands might appreciate it if you found a different outlet for stress and frustration :thumb:

Offline Woof Woof

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 20 February 2014, 07:41:22 »
Glad to hear it! Been trying different switches for a while now, and I like the ninja's "fake" blank keycaps, so I can cheat if I'm not sure!

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 20 February 2014, 07:42:24 »
If you type hard blacks might suit you better than reds
I am bigfatmc over at other places!

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 20 February 2014, 08:17:40 »
Switches with stronger springs may suit you better, like blacks and clears.

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 20 February 2014, 09:22:33 »

Definitely agree. If you're typing that hard you're probably going to end up with a lot more typos on reds than something like blacks or clears. Also, if noise is a concern (office?) you will probably be louder typing hard on reds. Even with o-rings on my red switches they can be quite loud if I'm typing heavy handed for some reason.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline paldepind

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 20 February 2014, 09:23:38 »
If you type just somewhat hard on red cherry switches you don't feel the resistance in the switches at all. It feels almost like just banging your fingers down on flat plastic (with a nicer sound). That might be what you want (your fingers definitely won't get tired from pushing the keys), but I think red switches really shines when typing lightly on them.

Offline Woof Woof

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 20 February 2014, 09:28:30 »
Thanks for the tips guys. I never even considered blacks as I always read they were too stiff. But yeah, even when I type normally, I'm a damn sight louder than everyone else in the office!

Been reading this site for months, you guys really know your stuff! Thanks for helping me out.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 20 February 2014, 09:35:33 »
If you still bottom out real hard on blacks you could step up to linear or tactile grays.  For the record (speaking of the spring not overall with the stem) clears have a slightly lighter actuation force but have a heavier bottom out force.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 20 February 2014, 09:37:44 »
The spring has the duty to return the keycap to its starting position after the switch has actuated. A heavy way of typing is not just about the force, but also about the speed and how do you move your fingers on the keycaps. I think a stronger spring may serve you better because more force equals also a faster reaction time. Of course we are not talking about differences that may be actually measure, but just about a general feeling about your board. You may be aware that the feeling of tiredness may be a bit more noticeable with blacks or clears, but at the end any cherry switch is under the resistance of most rubber domes and scissors ones, so nothing to be really a concern here. I am a heavy typist also and I use either reds or browns and I feel better typing in the browns, less typos also and a little higher speed. The only actual difference between them is the slight higher resistance of the browns due to its mechanical bump. I use reds at home when I need to work on the computer after my family is trying to sleep, their noise is very low, even under my heavy fingers. :)
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 February 2014, 09:39:51 by ideus »

Offline Fragil1ty

• Abre los ojos.
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 20 February 2014, 14:03:36 »

+1 for this.

Or just don't type hard, just type normal, like a regular sane person, lol.

Good luck with your decision though, reds are the one for me personally, I couldn't use blacks, too much resistance. >:
你搞砸了

Offline SonOfSonOfSpock

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 20 February 2014, 14:14:56 »
Matias switches are heavier too. The Quiet models aren't as quiet as rubber domes or scissor switches, but they're a degree quieter than the mechanical keyboard that I've heard. I haven't heard/used any Topre so I can't comment on those. I'm comparing to the several Cherry MX boards in my posession.

Offline Woof Woof

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 21 February 2014, 08:28:44 »
What is the actuation force of a standard rubber dome? Are they even measured that way?

Sorry if this has been asked. I've tried searching for the answer, but come up short.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 21 February 2014, 08:46:29 »
What is the actuation force of a standard rubber dome? Are they even measured that way?

Sorry if this has been asked. I've tried searching for the answer, but come up short.

I have read it is around 65-75 somewhere. However domes come in a broad variety of shapes and material formulas that will alter the actual feeling of them. It is a full mechanical system, that includes the dome, its shape, geometry and all, so it is not a one number thing. When comparing MX switches in between, it is relatively easier because they all share the same general design and build. Also other approaches like topres and buckling has their own mechanical input outputs as they are different designs. By experience, I may say the only way for you to decide is to try the boards you may be interested in. Also, be aware that plate mounted, pcb mounted, type of plastic, metal trays will affect the final sound, and overall feeling of the board even with the same switches.

Offline SonOfSonOfSpock

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 21 February 2014, 14:26:03 »
The Kinesis Freestyle is 45, but that's an expensive RD keyboard. That seems about right, it feels like the force required for cherry reds. So, the unfortunate answer for rubber dome activation force is "it depends".

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 22 February 2014, 00:11:53 »

maybe you might consider even stronger springs, heh. Grays are in stock at EK now. They haven't stopped me bottoming all the time, but have greatly reduced any bottoming.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline thesentinel

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 22 February 2014, 00:15:47 »
Hi guys,

I'm thinking about getting a Majestouch-2 Ninja with Cherry Reds. The reason for the reds instead of browns is that I type quite heavily (with purpose, if you've seen Up in the Air!)

But when I get frustrated at work, I type quite hard. Really hard sometimes. My trusty Logitech rubber dome has been putting up with me like a champ for four years now, so I just want to know if I drop some serious paper on a mechanical keyboard, it can take the absuse just as well.

Any other heavy typers able to share their experiences?

All cherry switches can take a heavy beating, (they're even used in foot pads, for stomping on with your feet) but reds will last even longer than blues or browns, i believe.
Keyboards are the only thing keeping me from consuming human flesh.

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 22 February 2014, 00:50:06 »
MX Blacks really aren't THAT heavy imo, I like mine a lot and I am going to pick up linear greys at some time in the future(hopefully if MK gets them in stock at some point in time).

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 22 February 2014, 00:59:48 »
MX Blacks really aren't THAT heavy imo, I like mine a lot and I am going to pick up linear greys at some time in the future(hopefully if MK gets them in stock at some point in time).

Yeah, Blacks really aren't heavy at all...unless you're a wuss.  If you're a heavier typist, I would recommend using at least Blacks, Clears, or Greens.

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 22 February 2014, 01:05:59 »
Blacks heavy during the night, and light, in the morning IMO
Ghetto grays is very silent... :rolleyes:
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"