Author Topic: Ideas for poker  (Read 5080 times)

Offline ianxblog

• no
Ideas for poker
« on: Fri, 21 February 2014, 18:43:00 »
I always want to get a poker or something, but the lack of arrow keys turns me down.
I generally hate the HHKB because the key reassignment and obviously don't like the HHKB Lite.

So:

« Last Edit: Fri, 21 February 2014, 18:45:49 by ianxblog »

Offline ianxblog

• no
Re: Ideas for poker
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 21 February 2014, 19:17:19 »
Also see:

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 21 February 2014, 19:51:38 »
The Poker 2 lets you use the WASD keys as arrows when you hold down a Fn key.

Offline ianxblog

• no
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 21 February 2014, 20:34:57 »

You don't say. What about arrows and something at the same time? Little tricky, right?

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 21 February 2014, 21:04:04 »

You don't say. What about arrows and something at the same time? Little tricky, right?

Why are you trying to do that?

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 21 February 2014, 21:14:35 »

Why are you trying to do that?
[/quote]
I think he wants a simpler way to do that... While playing video games maybe?

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 22 February 2014, 01:36:14 »
Personally, I like the first design better, but just do away with right win key and put the arrows in a line, then keep the full sized shift to keep the standard layout support (for the most part)
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 22 February 2014, 23:12:12 »
Dedicated arrows is fine, but not enough.

There are 8 navigation keys that you need all the time if you are proficient with a keyboard:
- up
- down
- right
- left
- home
- end
- page up
- page down

I know that the common answer is to have Fn+arrows do home/end/pgup/pgdn, but from experience with an Apple aluminum keyboard, it sucks. It messes with chording on the left hand, which has to deal with Ctrl (jump over words) and Shift (select text). And on a standard keyboard there is no room for an Fn key on the left side of the keyboard. So you will need to break the left side also.

The solution is a right-handed Fn key that you press whenever you want to do any of the 8 navigation actions. The Fn key is pressed with the thumb while the other fingers of the same hand press a navigation key located in the same area. The location of the keys must be chosen so the right hand is not constantly stressed.

The left hand does what it does when using a standard (full) keyboard.

If you are willing to experiment with this, you soon realize that a standard 60% keyboard already has all the keys you need. No need to break anything.

Offline The feel is of the keys!

• Click
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 22 February 2014, 23:55:03 »
It's not a Poker, but the KBT Pure Pro has a decent looking layout. I'd tell you how it is, but mine is still in the mail  :'(
Ebay link

Offline ianxblog

• no
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 00:20:32 »

There are 8 navigation keys that you need all the time if you are proficient with a keyboard:
- up
- down
- right
- left
- home
- end
- page up
- page down

I know that the common answer is to have Fn+arrows do home/end/pgup/pgdn, but from experience with an Apple aluminum keyboard, it sucks. It messes with chording on the left hand, which has to deal with Ctrl (jump over words) and Shift (select text). And on a standard keyboard there is no room for an Fn key on the left side of the keyboard. So you will need to break the left side also.

The solution is a right-handed Fn key that you press whenever you want to do any of the 8 navigation actions. The Fn key is pressed with the thumb while the other fingers of the same hand press a navigation key located in the same area. The location of the keys must be chosen so the right hand is not constantly stressed.

If you are willing to experiment with this, you soon realize that a standard 60% keyboard already has all the keys you need. No need to break anything.

I can't even stand a keyboard without number pad sometimes.

It's not a Poker, but the KBT Pure Pro has a decent looking layout. I'd tell you how it is, but mine is still in the mail  :'(
Ebay link

Cool stuff, except for the MX reds which I don't personally like.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 00:33:57 »
also keep in mind that your layout with a less-than-1-unity windows key on the right won't work.

MX switches are pretty large, and to my knowlege, there are no keycaps in that size.

Offline ianxblog

• no
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 01:29:00 »
MX switches are pretty large, and to my knowlege, there are no keycaps in that size.

Could be done.

Offline tbc

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 02:31:57 »
^

what?

you care to provide details on you plan on making it work?....
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 03:23:10 »

The Pure Pro comes in more than just MX red tho
;)

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 10:37:02 »

- up
- down
- right
- left
- home
- end
- page up
- page down

I can't even stand a keyboard without number pad sometimes.

Why are you even trying to stuff arrow key on a 60% keyboard then??? :)

Ebay link

Offline paco

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 11:39:14 »
I have a Poker II myself. Recent purchase. Typing on one right now.

Using a Fn layer to access the arrow keys and Pg-Up-Down, Home-End takes time to adjust. I guess I will need a couple of weeks before muscle memory kicks in.

It is the price to pay to get a very elegant and compact keyboard.

Offline Grr8

• Quack!
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 13:16:50 »
Ebay link

I've had a Pure Pro. I quickly learned how much I use the right shift when I had it - the small right shift drove me nuts. Also, it is easy to accidentally press an arrow key and shift together and select text - then if you keep on typing you can overwrite what you had!

I have a Poker II now. I wanted one-handed arrow keys, so I defined the same ones as the HHKB uses ( [;'/ ) on the Pn layer and I think it is nearly perfect now. I adapted in 2 days.

With this arrangement you can do Ctrl and Shift with the left hand for jumping, selection, etc.
Daily Driver: Poker II Backlit (Ducky Mini-fied) + Amazon o-rings. Future daily driver IBM AT Model F (restoring now). For fun: IBM SSK 1397681 (NIB), IBM SSK 1391472, IBM Industrial 101 Square label 1388032, IBM Industrial 101 Black label 1394946, IBM 1391401 (bolt-modding now), IBM 1370477, IBM 42H1292 (USA), IBM 52G9700 IBM, and more....
More
Ducky Shine w/Blues + WASD o-rings, Ducky Shine 3 TKL w/Browns + ebay o-rings, Rosewill RK-9100 w/Blues, Apple Wireless (slim), Apple Wireless White A1016, Apple Extended II ADB. Next? HHKB2Pro?

Offline eddie

• ¥¥¥¥
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 16:50:18 »

Could be done.
I think the winkey itself would be smaller then the switch. Why not just put a normal 1 unit key?

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 17:00:41 »

- up
- down
- right
- left
- home
- end
- page up
- page down

I much prefer the way this sort of navigation is handled in OS X. With Mac, the main modifiers are Command and Alt (placed in the Alt and Windows key locations on a normal board respectively—I'm sure most of you know this but I'm saying this for those who don't). To navigate one character/line at a time you use the arrow keys (like windows). To navigate between words, you can use alt + left/right arrows. To navigate entire lines (paragraphs with line wrap), you can use alt + up/down. If you want to just jump to the beginning of where the line wraps, you can use command + left/right. If you want to navigate to the beginning or end of the document, you can use command + up/down. These all work quite nicely with selecting text, because you alt/command with your thumb, and shift with your pinkey (and arrow keys with your right hand. This way, you only really need four nav keys for editing.
main kbs:  87UB (55g)  Custom Filco TKL (62g clears)

WTS JD40, Custom Ergoclear Filco

WTB ROHS Red BBv2 (Topre), OG EK Tri-Color Skull (TOPRE)

Offline chickenNwaffles

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 17:43:54 »
Unless you need right shift, get a KBT Pure Pro.  :thumb:

Offline ianxblog

• no
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 17:53:37 »
You guys, I'm not trying to do anything.

It's just designs I did because I was bored..

The KBT Pure is cool but I don't like the FN on the left side moving win and alt keys away.

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 19:08:09 »
No need to get defensive, people are just pointing out why things wouldn't work or other alternatives.
;)

Offline ianxblog

• no
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 19:14:27 »
No need to get defensive, people are just pointing out why things wouldn't work or other alternatives.

Nobody said anything about the DPAD idea :thumb:

Also, on the first Idea you could just completely remove Right Winkey, and it's done.

Nobody uses that key anyways (I'm talking about the right one obviously)

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 19:21:02 »

I think that's because it's impossible to get a working d-pad with mx switches, since, as dorkvader mentioned, the switches are too large. With any other sort of switch I think this "keyboard d-pad" would feel like any other d-pad—that is to say, mushy and gross.

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 19:23:11 »

I think that's because it's impossible to get a working d-pad with mx switches, since, as dorkvader mentioned, the switches are too large. With any other sort of switch I think this "keyboard d-pad" would feel like any other d-pad—that is to say, mushy and gross.

Fairly certain the switches being too large was about the right winkey on the first design, and that the d-pad in the second on is, ya know, a joke...
;)

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 19:39:09 »

Fairly certain the switches being too large was about the right winkey on the first design, and that the d-pad in the second on is, ya know, a joke...

I hope it's a joke lol.
And the stuff about mx switches being too large applies here as well. You're right that dorkvader was referring to the right winkey, though.

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 20:17:55 »

I refrained from saying anything about it because I did not want to hurt your feelings.

Also, on the first Idea you could just completely remove Right Winkey, and it's done.

I really don't like the way the arrows are arranged on this one. But maybe it's just me.

Offline ianxblog

• no
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 24 February 2014, 16:43:11 »

I refrained from saying anything about it because I did not want to hurt your feelings.

I really don't like the way the arrows are arranged on this one. But maybe it's just me.

You would be hurting Microsoft feelings too (Microsoft Arc)

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 24 February 2014, 16:52:48 »

You would be hurting Microsoft feelings too (Microsoft Arc)

:)

I don't think so. They are a dysfunctional company producing mostly crap, and they know it.

(NOTE: and I know there are very talented people working there... It's a pity.)

Offline ianxblog

• no
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 25 February 2014, 16:24:39 »