Author Topic: IBM XT F: $49 BIN (cheap CONUS shipping, missing F9 key)  (Read 1406 times)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: IBM XT F: $49 BIN (cheap CONUS shipping, missing F9 key)
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 25 February 2014, 06:50:23 »
It is hard for me to get used to the idea of an XT >$50 considered "cheap" when an AT can be had for twice that amount. An AT at 4x the price of an XT would still be preferable, in my opinion.

Luckily, an F9 is nothing to replace. Some of the keys toward the right side are seriously weird.
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 25 February 2014, 06:55:59 »
It is hard for me to get used to the idea of an XT >$50 considered "cheap" when an AT can be had for twice that amount. An AT at 4x the price of an XT would still be preferable, in my opinion.

Luckily, an F9 is nothing to replace. Some of the keys toward the right side are seriously weird.

I'm personally holding out for an affordable AT. This listing seems cheap compared to what I've seen lately, though it's not cheap enough for me to buy it instead of an AT.

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 25 February 2014, 07:14:27 »

I don't like that the seller doesn't list it as "for parts/untested", because it is obviously untested.

The minus key is upside down (hopefully just sitting on top and not jammed in there) and worst of all the spacebar is out of whack.  Which likely means you have to open this thing up to even think about using it and reseat the spacebar.  Not fun.
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 25 February 2014, 08:43:01 »

I don't like that the seller doesn't list it as "for parts/untested", because it is obviously untested.

The minus key is upside down (hopefully just sitting on top and not jammed in there) and worst of all the spacebar is out of whack.  Which likely means you have to open this thing up to even think about using it and reseat the spacebar.  Not fun.

NEVER BUY AN XT WITH SPACEBAR OUT OF WHACK FOR HIGHER THAN THE PRICE OF SHIPPING. AKA my valuation for such a keyboard is $0.00. The pain in the ass factor as you try to put the spacebar back... whew!
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 25 February 2014, 19:15:40 »
They are great as a parts unit for more barrels / hammers for your other, more valuable model F's. I'm going to be taking 8 barrels out for my unsavers, and another several for my AT model F.

It's a bit odd, though. Even XT model Fs were half this price last year.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 25 February 2014, 19:36:27 »
XT barrels have the vertical cylindrical alignment stud instead of the buttress tab like the others, so they don't interchange universally.

Perhaps the XTant project is nearing fruition and people are stockpiling XTs for parts. I had a couple of junkers laying around that I fixed up and sold last summer, probably should have waited!
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 25 February 2014, 19:37:16 »
XT barrels have the vertical cylindrical alignment stud instead of the buttress tab like the others, so they don't interchange universally.

Perhaps the XTant project is nearing fruition and people are stockpiling XTs for parts. I had a couple of junkers laying around that I fixed up and sold last summer, probably should have waited!

What project? I will have 3 spare XTs so I want to know what it is :p

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 25 February 2014, 19:43:53 »

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 25 February 2014, 20:12:00 »
They do if you are already drilling holes in your plate anyway like what is necessary for both the unsaver and the AT model F I mentioned.