Author Topic: Cherry G84-4101PPMUS - PS/2 to USB converter?  (Read 4420 times)

Offline Ellis

Cherry G84-4101PPMUS - PS/2 to USB converter?
« on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 15:12:35 »
Someone was chucking this out at work. I use a laptop (at work) so its small size caught my eye:

A few questions:

• What are the key caps - doubleshot? It says ABS on the bottom but the printing looks pretty nice to me.
  • It has a PS/2 connector :( how can I convert it to USB? I couldn't find any solid info from a Google search.
  • How would you clean the caps? It's not actually horrifically dirty but I'd definitely rather clean some of the grubbiness off.

I've only used MX Brown switches before so these MLs are quite different. I'm not entirely sure I'm going to like it - the small space bar, backspace, enter etc. might be hard to get used to as well as the switches themselves. Anyway, I shall try.

Offline ithinkimkorean

Re: Cherry G84-4101PPMUS - PS/2 to USB converter?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 21:36:37 »
If you take off a keycap and can see the black plastic, it's doubleshot.

You can take off the caps and clean them with warm water + a bit of soap.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 21:39:14 »
denture tablets

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 21:40:07 »
The first P in PPAUS designates that it is pad printed.

The G84 keyboards can have a slightly different naming convention than the G80 keyboards.

I have a G84-4101SPAUS. I believe the main difference between the 4100 and 4101 is the grey case colour.
---
I can test it later, but I'm almost positive it'll work with a normal ID Innovations. I have used it with a cheap not-good belkin as well.

Offline Ellis

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 06:20:32 »
If you take off a keycap and can see the black plastic, it's doubleshot.

You can take off the caps and clean them with warm water + a bit of soap.
Oh yeah, should have known this - it's definitely not DS then (though they do seem to be pretty good pad prints).
The first P in PPAUS designates that it is pad printed.

The G84 keyboards can have a slightly different naming convention than the G80 keyboards.

I have a G84-4101SPAUS. I believe the main difference between the 4100 and 4101 is the grey case colour.
---
I can test it later, but I'm almost positive it'll work with a normal ID Innovations. I have used it with a cheap not-good belkin as well.
So, you think I can just grab a bog standard converter and it'll be ok?

Cheers guys. Oh, I don't have any denture tabs so I'll just try cleaning the keys with soapy water.

Offline SirReallySam

• SirReallySam-LinusTech
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 06:43:01 »
Someone was chucking this out at work. I use a laptop (at work) so its small size caught my eye:

Show Image

Show Image

A few questions:

• What are the key caps - doubleshot? It says ABS on the bottom but the printing looks pretty nice to me.
  • It has a PS/2 connector :( how can I convert it to USB? I couldn't find any solid info from a Google search.
  • How would you clean the caps? It's not actually horrifically dirty but I'd definitely rather clean some of the grubbiness off.

I've only used MX Brown switches before so these MLs are quite different. I'm not entirely sure I'm going to like it - the small space bar, backspace, enter etc. might be hard to get used to as well as the switches themselves. Anyway, I shall try.

How is the feel of Cherry MLs?! I really want to try scissor switches that are mechanical!
I like the keyboards... I feel we all do.

Offline Ellis

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 07:23:55 »

Show Image

Show Image

A few questions:

How is the feel of Cherry MLs?! I really want to try scissor switches that are mechanical!
Since I can't yet use it plugged in, it's hard to give a definite opinion, but they seem OK to me (but not better). I've read elsewhere that they have a tendency to stick, especially when pressed closer to the edge rather than right on-centre. I would agree with this, though it's possible it could be due to dirt in my case, or it could be fixed by lubricating the keys.

The keys don't have a lot of travel, which makes it hard to type without bottoming out.

All in all, if you can get a cheap board to try (and I'm guessing you probably can) then it's probably worth it to try out a highly portable board. Personally, I much prefer the MX Browns on my Filco, but I'm sure that's to be expected. Not really going to complain when my Cherry board was free though.

btw: these are not scissor switches, but they seemed to be designed for the same kind of low profile use where you might usually use a scissor switch.
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 March 2014, 07:34:32 by Ellis »

Offline SirReallySam

• SirReallySam-LinusTech
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 07:49:38 »

Show Image

Show Image

A few questions:

-snip-

btw: these are not scissor switches, but they seemed to be designed for the same kind of low profile use where you might usually use a scissor switch.

Ahh yes, ! woops :)
I like the keyboards... I feel we all do.

Offline Ellis

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 09:59:12 »
Cleaned the caps in hot water with washing powder, and they seem to have come up quite well. Not sure how to do the rest of the keyboard though.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 11:10:12 »
Cleaned the caps in hot water with washing powder, and they seem to have come up quite well. Not sure how to do the rest of the keyboard though.
You can take the case off and clean all but the PCB the same way. I got some alcohol wipes that I use. I really need to drop by the store and grab more denture tabs though.

Offline Ellis

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 14:37:32 »
You can take the case off and clean all but the PCB the same way. I got some alcohol wipes that I use. I really need to drop by the store and grab more denture tabs though.
Sadly, it's the PCB that's the dirtiest part of the keyboard. It's not actually as bad as I'd initially thought, though, so I think I'll be ok just to wipe it off.

Offline McWilloughby

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 14:55:40 »
I got one of these boards recently and I use it with this adaptor http://www.amazon.co.uk/PS2-To-USB-Keyboard-Adaptor/dp/6095013127/ref=sr_1_12?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1393707276&sr=1-12&keywords=ps2+keyboard+to+usb+adaptor

They're very common and you can probably pick one up cheaper than that on ebay or whatever.

Offline Ellis

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 15:45:21 »
I got one of these boards recently and I use it with this adaptor http://www.amazon.co.uk/PS2-To-USB-Keyboard-Adaptor/dp/6095013127/ref=sr_1_12?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1393707276&sr=1-12&keywords=ps2+keyboard+to+usb+adaptor

They're very common and you can probably pick one up cheaper than that on ebay or whatever.
Ah, so I do need an active one then? I've learned that there are passive and active adapters, but in order to use a passive adapter the keyboard needs to basically support USB. No idea how old this board is and if it'll support it.

Offline McWilloughby

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 16:50:38 »
Ah, so I do need an active one then? I've learned that there are passive and active adapters, but in order to use a passive adapter the keyboard needs to basically support USB. No idea how old this board is and if it'll support it.

Yeah, I tried a passive adaptor to start with and it didn't work sadly.

Offline Ellis

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 02 March 2014, 08:51:57 »

Yeah, I tried a passive adaptor to start with and it didn't work sadly.
Ah :( thanks for the confirmation though.

Wonder if there's some way to remove the housing for that adapter and solder it in-line with a USB plug. I don't think it would fit at the side of my laptop otherwise D:

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 02 March 2014, 09:45:41 »
Wonder if there's some way to remove the housing for that adapter and solder it in-line with a USB plug. I don't think it would fit at the side of my laptop otherwise D:
Just get an ID innovations multimode USB adapter.

Offline Ellis

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 02 March 2014, 16:08:44 »
Just get an ID innovations multimode USB adapter.
Show Image

Cool, will look for one. Cheers

Offline Ellis

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 13:40:13 »
Any ideas where these can be found in the UK? I'm beginning to wonder if it's worth it, although I did get the keyboard for free.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 15:26:41 »
F5U119-E Belkin, see if you can find that one. It's just as good as the blue cube - and I think there are some other belkins that are, as well, but there are also some belkins that are bad. I only know that part number because I looked at the belkin I have. Could be others listed on the deskthority wiki.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline Ellis

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 11:06:22 »
F5U119-E Belkin, see if you can find that one. It's just as good as the blue cube - and I think there are some other belkins that are, as well, but there are also some belkins that are bad. I only know that part number because I looked at the belkin I have. Could be others listed on the deskthority wiki.
Gah, cannot find anywhere selling it that doesn't involve importing it from the US :(