Author Topic: Manual typewriters currently on the market  (Read 2681 times)

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
Manual typewriters currently on the market
« on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 11:51:38 »
Anybody know any good manual typewriter currently on the market?  Something with good quality and good feel.  I bet there is a geekhack-like website out there for typewriters, but I'm too lazy to look right now.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline Parak

Re: Manual typewriters currently on the market
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 12:33:51 »
Bah, manual. Get a selectric and see what keyboards should really feel like :D

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 12:39:31 »
is linear clicky feel :))
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 12:43:28 »
Bah, manual. Get a selectric and see what keyboards should really feel like :D

The IBM Selectric was like a tank, literally.  It was huge, heavy, covered in 3" armor plating, loud, clanky, and cumbersome.  But it was an awesome typing machine.  Those Selectrics were built to last 50 years.  You needed to change the typer-ball unit periodically, and the typing ribbons of course, but otherwise they were nearly indestructible.   However, typing on them was not a particularly pleasurable experience.  The keyboard action was interesting because each keypress actuated the typing ball which made quite an impressive strike on the page.  It was loud and violent.  You felt the strike throughout the whole machine.  Even throughout your whole desk, if you had a kind of flimsy desk.
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 12:48:27 »
is there a pc to selectric driver or something? basically i want to print from word and send to selectric or anything manual typeface? hell i'll even save to floppy and load it on a selectric (they take floppies right? i don't remember it's been 20 years)

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 13:01:42 »
is there a pc to selectric driver or something? basically i want to print from word and send to selectric or anything manual typeface? hell i'll even save to floppy and load it on a selectric (they take floppies right? i don't remember it's been 20 years)

hmm, dunno if trolling.  Are you kidding?  Selectrics do not take floppies.  Or USB 3.0, or 2.0, or USB anything.  Or firewire.  Or bluetooth.  Not even greentooth.  They accessed memory from the BRAIN.  Yes, the human brain.  You needed to know wtf you were talking about back then.  You had to actually think, and know things.  It was a different world.  You formulated an idea, and then you typed it on the paper.  Kind of like what the cavemen did with pencil and paper. 

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 13:02:00 »
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 13:03:37 »
http://www.usbtypewriter.com/

zomg.  Now I've seen everything.  $800 to type on a typewriter.  HHKB Pro 2 Type-S is only $365, and it's a much better typing experience.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 13:04:39 »

zomg.  Now I've seen everything.  $800 to type on a typewriter.  HHKB Pro 2 Type-S is only $365, and it's a much better typing experience.

That's subjective ;D
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 13:21:10 »

I was going to post that.  Discovered that company while snooping around on the internet today.  You can get conversion kits that are considerable less dough than the finished product.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/usbtypewriter

http://www.usbtypewriter.com/collections/kits

Offline Lanx

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 14:28:54 »
i guess the only way to get an "impact print" is to maybe go the dot matrix way.

i saw a project use strings to get the keys automated, but doesn't seem too realistic.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 14:39:29 »
But really, nobody seems to have an info about typewriters currently on the market.  I wonder if any are even on the market any more. 

Offline Lanx

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 14:45:23 »
i'm sure they're still around, need to use impact printers for the carbon printing, for places like outdated police stations.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 02 March 2014, 05:22:30 »
One of the TA/Cherry units I had actually had that capability to use it as a daisy wheel printer from a PC. There were also stand alone daisy wheel printers which it might be possible to find one late enough that it use something standard like a parallel interface for some hope of using it on a more modern PC.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 02 March 2014, 07:28:08 »
So I went to the thrift store and got a Brother typewriter for <$10, it seems to have some missing internals because the ribbon does not move after each word is typed, among other issues.

I looked around, it seems some quality manual portable models with a decent price are the Hermes 3000 and the Olympia SM series.  Anything with German or Swiss design and engineering is good enough for me.  Something that includes a one key would be great for consistency's sake with a modern keyboard.

It's a bit of a shame that quality typewriters are no longer produced, but the good ones from back in the day were built to last for what seems like forever.  Kinda like Model M's and F's.

But great, the last thing I need is another time-consuming, expensive hobby like this one.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 02 March 2014, 07:34:37 »
So I went to the thrift store and got a Brother typewriter for <$10, it seems to have some missing internals because the ribbon does not move after each word is typed, among other issues.

I looked around, it seems some quality manual portable models with a decent price are the Hermes 3000 and the Olympia SM series.  Anything with German or Swiss design and engineering is good enough for me.  Something that includes a one key would be great for consistency's sake with a modern keyboard.

It's a bit of a shame that quality typewriters are no longer produced, but the good ones from back in the day were built to last for what seems like forever.  Kinda like Model M's and F's.

But great, the last thing I need is another time-consuming, expensive hobby like typewriters.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 02 March 2014, 10:19:22 »

But great, the last thing I need is another time-consuming, expensive hobby like typewriters.

typewriters will eat your time like nothing else, that's why I'm waiting to get to mine after the school year.

If anyone wants a broken electra 12, lemme know.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 02 March 2014, 10:48:03 »

typewriters will eat your time like nothing else, that's why I'm waiting to get to mine after the school year.

If anyone wants a broken electra 12, lemme know.

Yea, not sure if I really want to dive into that habit.  Already enough bad habits sucking up my time and money.  And I do not know if I could hold myself back from accumulating loads and loads and typewriters.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 02 March 2014, 13:32:35 »
they're heavy af, so be ready for $50 for 10-day shipping

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 02 March 2014, 20:39:30 »
So I picked up an old Smith-Corona Sterling from a guy on Craigslist this afternoon.  I have discovered that computers have allowed people to write too much, and that is a bad thing.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 02 March 2014, 22:34:12 »
I have discovered that computers have allowed people to write too much, and that is a bad thing.

Ha ha, I'm sure the first guy who went back from typewriter to ballpoint pen said the same, and the guy who went back to fountain pen, then handmade quill and ink, all the way back to petroglyphs!

Enjoy the typewriter! I learned touch typing on one, but I love the backspace key too much to go back.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 07:57:20 »
I have discovered that computers have allowed people to write too much, and that is a bad thing.

Ha ha, I'm sure the first guy who went back from typewriter to ballpoint pen said the same, and the guy who went back to fountain pen, then handmade quill and ink, all the way back to petroglyphs!

Enjoy the typewriter! I learned touch typing on one, but I love the backspace key too much to go back.

I think xkcd had a comic with all these quotes about how the most recent invention would ruin human communication--the telegraph, telephone, cell phone, personal computer, typewriter, etc., etc.

Next, I need a printer/scanner so I can upload my typewriter ramblings onto a blog.