Author Topic: Custom WASDkeyboards German Design  (Read 4178 times)

Offline drrtyrokka

Custom WASDkeyboards German Design
« on: Sun, 02 March 2014, 15:36:04 »
Hey guys,

i just created my own unique wasdkeyboards layout and wanted to share.
It's gonna be all white keycaps with a 105 iso board (german for me) with brown switches.
Thought it could inspire anyone cuz I haven't seen any samples yet with a custom font (This one is a mix of 'Quicksand Book' and 'Caviar Dreams', both from dafont.com and also fontawsome for the Esc and F1 Button)
Wanted to have a clear but alternative look.
Have fun!
56116-0
* wasd-inkscape-105_custom_fertig_Unterschrift.svg (1124 kB - downloaded 141 times.)
« Last Edit: Sun, 02 March 2014, 15:38:43 by drrtyrokka »

Offline admiralvorian

• DIY
Re: Custom WASDkeyboards German Design
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 12:40:48 »
Thanks for this, I love to see custom stuff!

will WASD print copyrighted typefaces?
Darude Status:
☐ Not Sandstorm
☑ Sandstorm                                               wts wtt wtb

Offline drrtyrokka

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 01:29:06 »
Hmm.. didn't think about that, but the fonts are free to use (even commercial). Don't think this should be a problem so...
Anyone had an issue with anything similar?

Offline Chemoletter

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 05:11:24 »
It's funny... I just ordered my 88key ISO german caps from wasdkeyboards after spending hours over hours searching for german caps IN GERMANY!! Nothing to be found here aside from buying a keyboard and removing its caps. You're really f***ed if you want to use the actual named keys like "ä", "ö", and "ü"... You end up with wasdkeyboards in the end which is no problem because the price is fair. But i'd like to have some awesome caps like in the groupbuys with glitter and all that stuff WITH my german letters. Probably the best thing i can do when it comes to customization is just to learn typing on ANSI or blank keys.  >:D

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 05:13:29 »
It's funny... I just ordered my 88key ISO german caps from wasdkeyboards after spending hours over hours searching for german caps IN GERMANY!! Nothing to be found here aside from buying a keyboard and removing its caps. You're really f***ed if you want to use the actual named keys like "ä", "ö", and "ü"... You end up with wasdkeyboards in the end which is no problem because the price is fair. But i'd like to have some awesome caps like in the groupbuys with glitter and all that stuff WITH my german letters. Probably the best thing i can do when it comes to customization is just to learn typing on ANSI or blank keys.  >:D

You coulda bought my German engraved PBT's. :P
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline Chemoletter

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 05:21:34 »
Well... I guess i am still too noob for entering the classifieds. Now my caps are shipped. I took the standard fonts. Ain't got the nerves for messing around with illustrator on top of building my first custom keyboard. That is a good story anyways. I thought "well, you liked the youtube video of how to build a phantom keyboard, now you want to build one yourself... It sure is gonna be like 80-100€." Now with all the soldering tools and pcbs and plates it is well above 200€... Just had to laugh while thinking about my naive way of starting off a project like this. But it is a lot of fun for sure! :p

Offline drrtyrokka

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 05:40:55 »
I was looking for months now for alternatives but wasdkeyboards. They are really the only ones, who an give me 'pure white' (not that cherry gray urgh..) keycaps in iso printed (i knew of the ducky blanks, but i need the legends.) I will be paying really much with shipping (180€ with some extras).
First I thought about the standard look, and then I realized it doesnt cost me more if i creat my own layout.
I did it in inkscape and it is fairly easy to work with it (my first time using this program).
BTW: The Esc key will be red, The F1 flask will be green, and the modifiers will be dark gray. (the arrowkeys and above still white).

greets

Offline drrtyrokka

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 10:21:55 »
It looks like this, if added color. Does anyone have any ideas for changes? Didn't order it yet :P
I usually do a lot of programming, gaming is not my main goal, so i didn't wanted it all to be too fancy...
But it seems like something is missing to me, to be perfect. perhaps the arrow keys...
Any idea?

56254-0

Offline pbtforever

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 11:30:54 »
I'd use arrow keys matching the ones above.

Offline drrtyrokka

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 12:11:05 »
Yea, really nice idea, i never thought about that! :)))

56260-0

Offline drrtyrokka

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 13:14:33 »
Uh... this will cost me 260€ with import fees and taxes (+2xo-rings and other stuff)... thats really much guys...

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 13:16:01 »
That's not worth it in my opinion, considering the quality of the keycaps. :/ You could almost afford a custom keyboard with that much money!
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline drrtyrokka

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 14:55:16 »
Yea... i know. But what should I do? I need white keycaps with german layout. I could buy a Leopold for 100€, but the spacebar isn't compatible. Plus: How do I manage media keys, the leopold doesnt have some...

Or i could get a Ducky Zero DK2108, but the shift and numlock keys have led, so the wasdkeyboard keycaps won't work??

I'm not really into group buys and stuff... especially for germany. dont really know how to, and i couldn't find anything cool...
Where can I make a custom Keyboard?

Is there a way, I can define mediakeys with a software? Especially with the options key?
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 March 2014, 15:09:09 by drrtyrokka »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 15:08:29 »
Yea... i know. But what should I do? I need white keycaps with german layout. I could buy a Leopold for 100€, but the spacebar isn't compatible. Plus: How do I manage media keys, the leopold doesnt have some...

http://deskthority.net/wiki/Round_5
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline drrtyrokka

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 15:16:16 »
Thanks for the link! Can I still order there? And will the spacebar fit to the Leopold FC500R? I looked on the page where they link, but it is marked red...

Offline drrtyrokka

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 16:38:11 »
THX!!!!! I just ordered a few spacebars HONEY/SPACE625, I hope these will fit, does anyone know?
So i can buy a leopold for 100€ and get the keycaps from wasdkeyboards :)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 16:40:58 »
why not just get keycaps from Round 5 and forgo WASDkeyboards?

Also, the SP spacebars won't fit on a Leopold FC500R, because Leo uses stupid stabilizer spacing, that isn't compatible with any aftermarket stuff. Only the FC200R can use the SP 6-stem spacebar.

You should get a Filco from The Keyboard Co. :)
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 March 2014, 16:49:12 by jdcarpe »
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline drrtyrokka

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 16:48:34 »
I dont like the round shape and the font style they have.... Want a custom one...

Offline drrtyrokka

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 03:13:29 »
You convinced me.... now I ordered a full set of white alphanumeric and numpad keys + spacebar in white, grey and red. Costs me 60 € and this is quite affordable. And because they ship from germany, everything is fine :))))))
Thx again for this recommendation, got luck that guys like you are out there. If you didn't post, i would have missed the deadline :))

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 04:51:40 »
Nice. Which keyboard will you go with?

Offline drrtyrokka

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 07:43:50 »
unfortunately the spacebar wont fit in a leopold fc500r, as I realized now...
so i think i will get a filco

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 07:45:21 »
Good choice. Check out keyboardco.com and amazon.de - whatever is cheapest for you.

Offline drrtyrokka

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 07:46:52 »
Is it worth the effort of modding the stems? And where I can get instructions for that?
Because I can get a Leopold for 100€ and the filco costs 170€.... thats quite a difference...
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 March 2014, 07:49:11 by drrtyrokka »