Author Topic: CST L-Trac on Massdrop  (Read 3958 times)

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
CST L-Trac on Massdrop
« on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 20:05:31 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 March 2014, 00:05:57 by Wildcard »

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
Re: CST L-Trac-X on Massdrop
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 21:39:43 »
It's the version without the jacks for extra buttons.

Theoretically, the solder pads exist if you want to crack the case... but honestly, I'd rather they sold a model that had the left and right buttons bifurcated to provide a native five-button design.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
  • WEST SHINJUKU PLANTING TUNE
Re: CST L-Trac-X on Massdrop
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 23:58:51 »
So as to avoid confusion, I will point it that this is not the LTracX. This has a 1600dpi sensor, not the 3200dpi sensor the X had.
17:15 < vun> these are the healthiest crisps I've ever come across
17:16 < vun> mostly because I can't get the bag open

meebcats - my bad music

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
Re: CST L-Trac on Massdrop
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 00:05:00 »
So as to avoid confusion, I will point it that this is not the LTracX. This has a 1600dpi sensor, not the 3200dpi sensor the X had.

Oops fixed to CST L-Trac. I should know better, I have both models :)

Offline pmfarr

• Personal Music Page
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 17:22:52 »
Hey guys!  I just wanted to update everyone that Massdrop contacted CST about adding the expandable option (5W model) and it's now selectable during checkout!  You can update your existing buy in as well to reflect this if you'd like the option with the additional button ports!
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 March 2014, 17:35:51 by pmfarr »

Offline MsYutai

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 14:09:20 »
Hey guys!  I just wanted to update everyone that Massdrop contacted CST about adding the expandable option (5W model) and it's now selectable during checkout!  You can update your existing buy in as well to reflect this if you'd like the option with the additional button ports!

Nice!! For anyone wondering the 5W model is $10 more.
CM Storm Quickfire XT - MX Reds

Roccat Kone Pure Optical|Kana v2|Zowie FK|Logitech g500s|Mionix Naos 7000|CM Spawn|Logitech Performance MX

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 14:42:52 »

Good news :)

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 14:52:28 »
Hm, how often do you have to clean these?  Especially since you have to remove screws to do this.

My right arm has been hurting from using the mouse, so I'd like to see if using a trackball helps.  So far I'm trying to decide between one of these and the SlimBlade.  From reading previous threads, people mention having to clean the SlimBlade a lot, but I think the ball is much easier to remove.
a cute stray cat combination that comes out happily when you look at your face is cute

WANTED: gib clacks        post your mspaints!        post your rubber domes!

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 15:40:17 »
Hm, how often do you have to clean these?  Especially since you have to remove screws to do this.

My right arm has been hurting from using the mouse, so I'd like to see if using a trackball helps.  So far I'm trying to decide between one of these and the SlimBlade.  From reading previous threads, people mention having to clean the SlimBlade a lot, but I think the ball is much easier to remove.

I clean my trackball every few months. You can tell because there'll get some dirt on the ball and every once-in-a-while you'll roll over it and there'll be a noticeable "bump".

Opening a CST is very easy, requires a common PH1 or 2 size screwdriver and can be done in just a few minutes.

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 16:16:52 »

I clean my trackball every few months. You can tell because there'll get some dirt on the ball and every once-in-a-while you'll roll over it and there'll be a noticeable "bump".

Opening a CST is very easy, requires a common PH1 or 2 size screwdriver and can be done in just a few minutes.

Great, thanks dorkvader!  I also found a few other comments saying that the CST's rollers are steel instead of plastic and thus are less susceptible to dirt and whatnot.

I'll probably go ahead and order this since the build quality appears to be much better, and the Massdrop price is a pretty good deal.
a cute stray cat combination that comes out happily when you look at your face is cute

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 18:13:46 »

Great, thanks dorkvader!  I also found a few other comments saying that the CST's rollers are steel instead of plastic and thus are less susceptible to dirt and whatnot.

I'll probably go ahead and order this since the build quality appears to be much better, and the Massdrop price is a pretty good deal.
They roll on steel rollers, but they use a plastic bearing instead of a ball bearing, so you'll have to make sure that doesn't get clogged as well. Other than the shape (it's not "bad" but could be better) it's my only complaint against CST.

You can see it in these images (as the brown thing)
http://imgur.com/a/AXUbt#5
http://i.imgur.com/q3bLvgJ.jpg
http://deskthority.net/mice-other-input-devices-f3/kids-cst-multicolour-trackball-t5271.html#p102474

I have a small collection of ball bearing trackballs and it's a huge difference, bigger than replacing an old scratched ball with a new one.

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 18:25:25 »

They roll on steel rollers, but they use a plastic bearing instead of a ball bearing, so you'll have to make sure that doesn't get clogged as well. Other than the shape (it's not "bad" but could be better) it's my only complaint against CST.

You can see it in these images (as the brown thing)
http://imgur.com/a/AXUbt#5
http://i.imgur.com/q3bLvgJ.jpg
http://deskthority.net/mice-other-input-devices-f3/kids-cst-multicolour-trackball-t5271.html#p102474

I have a small collection of ball bearing trackballs and it's a huge difference, bigger than replacing an old scratched ball with a new one.

Ah, I see, thanks!  But I guess those take longer to get munged up, and a regular cleaning should do the trick, right?

The only concern now I have with the CST is that the scroll wheel is way up top, but it should probably be ok.  But anyways, I did go ahead and place an order.  Hopefully using one of these will be better for my arm.

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 15:07:13 »
This is on Massdrop again.  Use the same link as in the OP.

I got mine from the earlier drop, and I'm liking it so far.  Very sturdy and has a great solid feel to it.  Haha, it's almost as big as my 60% boards, though.  I tried playing Diablo 3 with it, and that still made my arm hurt from holding down the left button with my thumb.  But for other usage, it seems to be helpful for giving my arm a break from the usual mousing motions.  I wish the scroll wheel wasn't so high up, but it's ok and it works well after you move your hand up there.