Author Topic: For those of you with GF/Wives  (Read 2629 times)

Offline luis911

For those of you with GF/Wives
« on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 23:20:10 »
How do you justify yet another keyboard. I can imagine that to the outside observer having more than one keyboard seems a bit ridiculous. So yea. discussion time.  ^-^
Check out my website FDMPrints.org

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
Re: For those of you with GF/Wives
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 23:30:54 »
I sent my purchases to the office at work. She doesn't have to know. But recently I brought back the RealForce 87U to be used at home. It replaced my Matias. She can't tell the difference thankfully. Therefore at home I have 3 keyboards: RF, Matias and Code. Kinda good balance I guess.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 23:51:20 »
Same way your GF/wife can justify a new bag / pair of shoes / sweater / gold earrings, etc.  A hobby is a hobby :)
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 23:53:09 »
^
this.

also, I got her a keyboard.
I stay busy with work and family these days, but I'm still around, lurking.

Offline luis911

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 00:04:57 »
Same way your GF/wife can justify a new bag / pair of shoes / sweater / gold earrings, etc.  A hobby is a hobby :)

You know thats a pretty wise thing to say. At least my girlfriend thinks my keyboards look cool, however she has no idea they cost more than $100. I honestly just make up the price on the spot. I just spend $150 on a full set of Hyperfuse keycaps. She asked me how much they where. My answer: oh not too much, like around $40  :p

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 00:07:48 »
I've learned not to talk to my wife about it. Then again, I've also learned not to talk about computer stuff in general with her. It's one of those hobbies that I just enjoy in my own free time.

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 00:07:51 »
My wife doesn't buy expensive clothes, bags nor shoes. She's frugal. That's a good thing. Ha ha.

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 00:10:45 »
So glad that the bf doesn't give me any grief over all the money I've spent on keyboards, keycaps, and any other related things. He's aware of how much things cost too :)
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 00:13:35 »
Since I don't type for a living (union construction) my wife has put a limit on the boards and caps I can have due to money issues.  The exception is boards that I pick up from e-recyclers to clean up/mod and sell.  Her limit for me is 2 boards with 4 sets up caps aside from her stuff.  She has one board and 2 sets of caps.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline iri

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 00:54:32 »
oh this western world where you must justify your purchases.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 01:03:18 »
...but but all you need is each other. **** that ****. Materialism baby.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 01:41:42 »
justify as in you're ****ed on next months rent? or "why you bringing in another toy? you already got 1"

if it's the first one, stop

if it's the second one, she has to stop and you all have to sit down and talk about how a healthy hobby =/= a bat**** crazy serial killer.

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 02:28:41 »
My wife doesn't buy expensive clothes, bags nor shoes. She's frugal. That's a good thing. Ha ha.

I have this as well so that argument doesn't work. I just told her the one is for work, the other is for home and the extra is for my laptop. The 4th I just say I will sell soon, I of course fail to mention that it will be replaced by a 55g  :))

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 02:40:34 »

So true iri, I don't get why you need to ever justify a higher calling relating to owning more key-sets, keyboards and input devices?

It's a hobby and as long as it doesn't interfere with your wife's lifestyle then everything should be peachy  :thumb: .

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 03:08:20 »
The problem, Elrick, is most female do not understand the concept of hobby.

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 03:09:48 »

I have this as well so that argument doesn't work. I just told her the one is for work, the other is for home and the extra is for my laptop. The 4th I just say I will sell soon, I of course fail to mention that it will be replaced by a 55g  :))
Yeah, so I keep them in the office and sell them off, while being replaced by the new one. Having said that, even I think 6 keyboards is too many. I am trying to get rid of the KBT ONI. What's left is the Poker 2, Matias, Code Clear, HHKB and RealForce 55g. Five is, just right. We need a flavor of each switch, right? Right? RIGHTTTTTTTTTTTTTT?

Offline iri

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 03:41:19 »

So true iri, I don't get why you need to ever justify a higher calling relating to owning more key-sets, keyboards and input devices?

It's a hobby and as long as it doesn't interfere with your wife's lifestyle then everything should be peachy  :thumb: .
if my hobby interferes with my wife's lifestyle then she must adjust her lifestyle. mwahahahaha!
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 04:17:37 »

Yep! :)

Offline FreeCopy

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 05:27:45 »
I'm pretty sure her cheapest kitchen knife cost more than my cheapest keyboard. I know she's got more wrapped up in that knife block and knives than I do in my boards and keys. I'm sure she has more in her kitchen stuff than I do in my computer and keyboard stuff.

Me getting new stuff equals an increase in clicking. Her getting new stuff comes with her producing some really nice meal.
Keyboards
More
Poker II | Leopold fc500r | Bolt Modded M 1391401 x2 08NOV90 - 19NOV90 | FK-2001 White Alps Clones | Filco MJ2 104Bolt Modded SSK 1391472 27JUL87 | Winkeyless B.87 TKL | MiniVan GateReds 62g

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 05:34:00 »
My gf understands how hobbies and collections work, although that doesn't always stop her from rolling her eyes when I get yet another mouse or anything equally useless.

I do get away with kitchen stuff though, since that isn't quite as useless as yet another mouse, but kitchen stuff is expensive so I don't have all that much.

Offline osi

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 06:42:09 »
Just switch to a more expensive hobby for a few months. That way keyboards will be the lesser or two evils and you can get what you want :D

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 06:49:55 »
I gave up women in favor of gadgets years ago.  The gadgets always give me what I want, as long as I take care of them.  Always.  Humans cannot offer that sort of guarantee.

My biggest worry is how the robots will treat me in the technologically singularity, regardless of how well I will treat them.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 06:52:16 »
Just switch to a more expensive hobby for a few months. That way keyboards will be the lesser or two evils and you can get what you want :D

He speaks the truth.  Try collecting Panheads and Knuckleheads for some years then everything else in life would be dirt cheap  :thumb: .

Offline luis911

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 06:54:46 »

Thats Genius  >:D
I will go back to buying expensive photography gear.

BTW, I'm still in college so I don't have to pay rent or anything. The biggest money problems that I may have had is not having enough money for a nice valentines day gift since I spent it on a keyboard or something.  :eek: Although, I wouldn't tell her that.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 07:00:26 »

BTW, I'm still in college so I don't have to pay rent or anything. The biggest money problems that I may have had is not having enough money for a nice valentines day gift since I spent it on a keyboard or something.  :eek: Although, I wouldn't tell her that.

The best gifts come from the heart, and time spent on the thought is more important than raw value.  Like a bolt-modded Model M.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 07:04:16 »
My wife knows she spends a lot of money so if she gets to have her 'hobbies' then so do I.

Lately most of my purchases have been funded by selling other things. :thumb:

Offline luis911

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 07:07:39 »

I know, but you still feel a bit bad about spending ~200 on  Realforce, and then ~50 for valentines day. Again she doesn't know, and she was more than satisfied, but I just felt a bit guilty.

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 07:17:41 »
I would say you shouldn't worry so much if you not married. You can spend money on yourself without feeling guilty.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 08:28:02 »
Foreveralone.jpg
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline MissMurd3r84

• In IRC wondering why Kmiller8 is yelling.
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 08:40:10 »
Silly females not all understanding the love for keyboards and such.
KBC Poker - Red switches. Noppoo Choc Mini - Black switches. Leopold FC700R (White) - Blue switches. Ducky YOTD - Brown switches. Razer BW - Blue switches and rusted.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 08:42:55 »
Foreveralone.jpg

Blame it on the keyboards, right?