Author Topic: Model M LED panel traces (assistance required)  (Read 2510 times)

Offline EverythingIBM

Model M LED panel traces (assistance required)
« on: Wed, 05 March 2014, 22:42:07 »
So I have a model M controller that looks like this:

The four pin connector breaks out and connects to this LED PCB:

I was going to recreate the LED panel so I could add one to the above controller in question, but I can't find any photos of the LED panel underneath to recreate it. I just need to see the traces.
Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Model M LED panel traces (assistance required)
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 05 March 2014, 22:51:36 »
Maybe this (not mine):

"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 05 March 2014, 22:56:47 »
Thanks rowdy, that's exactly the right one.
I did a reverse search where the photos were from, and got this:

Totally cool, now I can create that LED panel. Cheers.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 05 March 2014, 22:58:05 »
Cool! :)

Possibly someone here has a broken Model M, or perhaps one they used for parts, and might be able to give you a spare PCB.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 05 March 2014, 23:04:49 »
Cool! :)

Possibly someone here has a broken Model M, or perhaps one they used for parts, and might be able to give you a spare PCB.

Nah, I have the resources to make my own (I do a lot of projects and things that I don't talk about here). One of them creating and reworking electronics.

One thing that you'll notice is that the main controller board contains the resistor network for the LEDs! Earlier Model M boards, such as in my '86 one have the resistors on the LED board itself.

So really, to solder on LEDs, there are three positive pins (a positive wire going to each led), and then one universal negative one (which the LEDs then terminate to). Real easy.
The polarity could be the other way around, I'll know once I start building the thing.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 05 March 2014, 23:18:03 »
Three LEDs and a connector - the olden technology couldn't be much simpler :)

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 05 March 2014, 23:22:36 »
So I anaylzed everything, and here's what I got.
You'll notice the ribbon connector has the main positive terminal much larger than the other three discreet negative paths to each LED

Time to heat up the soldering gear.

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 22:47:37 »
Unicomp may still carry spare LED boards too.
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.