Author Topic: Has any manufacturer tried this?  (Read 2312 times)

Offline Kamen Rider Blade

Has any manufacturer tried this?
« on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 04:01:48 »
Since Pad Printing is the most common / cheapest method to print a keycap on standard keyboards, have the manufacturers ever thought about adding in a thin clear polycarbonate layer see through plastic layer on top that snaps into place through side holes on the keycap itself?

The Polycarbonate layer would effectively take all the day to day wear while the pad printing itself will remain.

The Polycarbonate layer only needs to be 1 mm thick and standardized on keycap size.

You don't need to protect the front side of a keycap's screen printing for Fn key function labels since they never get touched through regular usage.

Any thoughts from the GH crowd?

Offline tbc

Re: Has any manufacturer tried this?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 04:14:55 »
Sounds  insanely expensive
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 07:22:31 »
Sounds like clear caps on IBM buckling springs, with legends on the stem piece.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 08:48:01 »
Yes these exist. You have described relegendables. While blank relegendable may be more common, there are some keyboard that have pad print or lasered legend to follow standard layout under the lens in cases where alternate programming may not be needed.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 08:53:40 »
Yes these exist. You have described relegendables.

aaaaaaaaaaand they look like ****

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 10:08:23 »
Yes these exist. You have described relegendables. While blank relegendable may be more common, there are some keyboard that have pad print or lasered legend to follow standard layout under the lens in cases where alternate programming may not be needed.
Show Image

Nice!  How are these keycaps?

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 10:27:27 »
Show Image

Is there anyway to mass produce these to be cheap?

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 11:46:32 »
I don't care for the feeling of polycarb... but I guess they are OK for the purpose they serve. They aren't expensive. You can buy 250 sack of them from many POS equipment place on internet for like $35 or so. Downside is they only come in top row profile, and 1x1, 1x2 and 2x2 size only.

Offline mougrim

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 13:08:07 »
Too glossy. Must be a hell to type in a bright light.
IBM AT Model F, Vortexgear Race 3, AEKII (Alps Cream Damped), Metoo Zero (modded to Kailh Box Navy)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 13:09:18 »
To smooth.  I gotta have texture to the caps.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline mougrim

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 13:25:33 »
To smooth.  I gotta have texture to the caps.
Too glossy, too smooth... no good, to be short.
IBM AT Model F, Vortexgear Race 3, AEKII (Alps Cream Damped), Metoo Zero (modded to Kailh Box Navy)

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 13:36:24 »
Show Image

don't use them, barely anybody likes to type on them

also for me they fall off often

Offline mougrim

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 13:45:07 »
don't use them, barely anybody likes to type on them

also for me they fall off often
Well, probably 9 of 10 users of those keys are those poor sods who are HAVE to use them. Because they are working behind the counter in some shop.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 15:41:26 »
As a guy who Does use relegendables, I agree. Buy them if you need them. Don't buy them if you don't have layers that you need to label. They are not fun to type on.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 15:48:50 »
Show Image

They're really lame. They feel alright, but they're rattle-y.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline PhineasRex

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 18:19:09 »
Show Image

The only ones I have tried are profileless and totally flat, which I did not like.