Author Topic: Cherry brown keyboard for 200 ish  (Read 2464 times)

Offline unj008

Cherry brown keyboard for 200 ish
« on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 18:47:07 »
Hello, this is my first post, so if i missed a rule or something, please dont be harsh on me :)

So, I've been using the filco majestouch 2 brown for a while now, but I want to buy an alternative keyboard.

I can just buy another filco majestouch (I'm going for ninja if that were the case) for ridiculous price of 200 ish. http://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard/usa-filco-ninja-majestouch-2-nkr-tactile-action-keyboard.asp

I personally think filcos are not worth 200 ish price tag due to lack of us distributors. So, I need a keyboard with better build quality, durability etc. for give or take $200 ish.

Is it possible to get "exotic" cases? like milled aluminium, burl woods, or even leather? I'm open to all suggestions except using different cherry swithces  :D

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
Re: Cherry brown keyboard for 200 ish
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 20:23:05 »
the vortex tkl alum case is $150 on mk.com (i think)

filco is excellent quality  but imo not worth $200. They were on sale for $110ish the other day.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 20:54:39 »
at 200, you're in ergodox territory.

My recommendation goes to Filco. I love both of mine.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline unj008

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 00:05:54 »

filco is excellent quality  but imo not worth $200. They were on sale for $110ish the other day.

Suck how my filco is 104 full key  :-[

Offline unj008

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 00:10:30 »

If I step up my budget, say like 300 ish, do I open up more doors for normal style keyboards?

Sorry, but i hate how ergodox looks imo.   

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 01:07:45 »

Suck how my filco is 104 full key  :-[

Barely anyone makes full size metal cases.

If I step up my budget, say like 300 ish, do I open up more doors for normal style keyboards?

Sorry, but i hate how ergodox looks imo.   

At 300, you have lots of options. If I am interpeting your question corrrectly, you are looking for a normal looking ergo board? If so, the answer is no. Most ergo boards are different from normal layouts. Closest would be g80-5000, but those are above $300.

If you're looking for regular boards at $300, still, not many high quality full size cases, but $300 is right in the alley of some lower end korean customs which are top quality

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 02:32:19 »
You should better explain what your preferences/needs are: what kind of layout do you want? what kind of switches do you like? what kind of construction are you looking for? etc.

What do you mean by “alternative keyboard”?

Offline unj008

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 22:50:35 »
Sorry for not elaborating what kind of keyboard I wanted.

Currently, I have a filco majestouch 2 (104 keys, cherry mx brown). Because I live in 2 places, I want another keyboard to put in my second home if that made any sense. ( That is what I meant when I said I needed an alternative keyboard)

My personal favorite switches are MX browns, and I would like to stick with that for my 2nd keyboard.

Basically, I want a keyboard that exudes build quality and bears "normal/traditional" design (non ergo). Also, I'm not looking for flashy keyboards. So led backlights are definitely no go, but something with "professional" look is what I like.

Can somebody explain me the korean keyboards to me?

I see that a lot in this thread. Are they like the top-end luxury keyboard to get if money wasn't an issue?

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 23:05:04 »

Currently, I have a filco majestouch 2 (104 keys, cherry mx brown). Because I live in 2 places, I want another keyboard to put in my second home if that made any sense. ( That is what I meant when I said I needed an alternative keyboard)

My personal favorite switches are MX browns, and I would like to stick with that for my 2nd keyboard.

Basically, I want a keyboard that exudes build quality and bears "normal/traditional" design (non ergo). Also, I'm not looking for flashy keyboards. So led backlights are definitely no go, but something with "professional" look is what I like.

I see that a lot in this thread. Are they like the top-end luxury keyboard to get if money wasn't an issue?

Korean is pretty much luxury. Sure its for show, but also there's immense quality.

For full size, either ducky zero (non shine) for ~$90 or a filco is good for your 104 needs.

A setup I would recommend would be like this:

Leopold, keycool (etc) numpad (~$40)
Vortex alum case ($150) mk.com
Phantom PCB ($30) mk
Phantom Plate ($25) mk
Teensy ($20) mk
Switches ($25-browns are really common) classifieds
Stabs ($5 )WASD

total is around $300 for a really customiable and high quality setup
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 March 2014, 23:08:40 by Pacifist »

Offline Megaweapon

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 23:09:11 »
Maybe WASD v2 paired with a set of thick keycaps from some other vendor.
Ancer Research Groop DFK191ABA11 IBM Model M13 Part 92G7461 (white) Rosewill RK-9000
Matias Tactile Pro 3 Apple Extended Keyboard II (ALPS)
Rosewill RK-9000I

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 23:10:43 »
Oh yea add wasd v2 on there

barebones probally ~$100, add on the $40 pbt doubleshots from vortex and you got a pretty good board right there

Offline unj008

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 23:21:43 »

Korean is pretty much luxury. Sure its for show, but also there's immense quality.

For full size, either ducky zero (non shine) for ~$90 or a filco is good for your 104 needs.

Phantom PCB ($30) mk
Phantom Plate ($25) mk
Teensy ($20) mk
Stabs ($5 )WASD

WHOA~
That is a lot of things I don't understand there!
So I googled all of the parts you posted, but they seem to be parts of custom keyboard (for me to put soldier and assemble billion pieces   :-X)

Can I get them pre-soldiered to me, or do online retailers even offer that? I couldn't find half of the items you posted like the plate,stabs, teensy(what are they anyway?) for sale.

Sorry to make you do all the work  :( I would definitely appreciate some links for them please.

Offline unj008

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 23:26:18 »
Maybe WASD v2 paired with a set of thick keycaps from some other vendor.

Are WASD any good?

Do the aluminium cases from vortex fit the WASD?

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 23:29:26 »

Phantom PCB ($30) mk
Phantom Plate ($25) mk
Teensy ($20) mk
Stabs ($5 )WASD

WHOA~
So I googled all of the parts you posted, but they seem to be parts of custom keyboard (for me to put soldier and assemble billion pieces   :-X)

Can I get them pre-soldiered to me, or do online retailers even offer that? I couldn't find half of the items you posted like the plate,stabs, teensy(what are they anyway?) for sale.

Sorry to make you do all the work  :( I would definitely appreciate some links for them please.

There are people here on GH that offers full assembly of keyboards.
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 23:30:26 »

Phantom PCB ($30) mk
Phantom Plate ($25) mk
Teensy ($20) mk
Stabs ($5 )WASD

WHOA~

You can either send them to somebody to assemble or just do some simple soldering yourself

case: http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=212

leo numpad(no backlighting, can get cheaper here on classifieds): http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=leopold,tenkeypads&pid=fc210tpnb
keycool numpad(with backlighting) https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=434

phantom pcb http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=536

teensy controller http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=568

plate is coming soon

switches you can buy here cheap

stabs are at http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/keyboard-parts.html

mk.com might get you a discount due to the large number of stuff you buy and everything is free shipping.

then you need keycaps. forgot to mention those, but you can get nice doubleshot pbt caps for $40 from vortex

Buying filco or ducky zero or wasd is cheaper, but when you factor in the $150 aluminum case, its worth your money for this custom setup
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 March 2014, 23:34:11 by Pacifist »

Offline Tony

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 02:01:09 »
You can try Rosewill/Choc pro/Leopold/WASD brands. I have tried all of them, then I decide to buy another Filco brown.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 22:07:05 »

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 22:36:35 »
What about t2russo’s classifieds post:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55423.0

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 15:50:44 »

its been sold. Did OP buy it?

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 15:56:34 »

its been sold. Did OP buy it?

Uh, pretty sure 'PolaBurrr' bought it, as it got sold shortly after he commented "pm'ed".
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)