Author Topic: Hello from CT  (Read 2168 times)

Offline abjr

• abjr.org
Hello from CT
« on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 16:22:04 »
Long time lurker, first time poster here. I've recently been on the hunt for a mechanical keyboard to use at work. I have used at home, off and on for the past 2 decades, an Acros 6311-K (Acer switches) so I definitely like the tactile feel and clickiness. A co-worker recently let me use his das Model S Ultimate with Blue Cherry MX switches. He also has one with Browns, but I definitely prefer the Blues. I've been looking around the various keyboard websites and I just can't make up my mind.

Basically what I'm looking for is either 87 or 104 key, and no back lighting. LED color is not really that important, either on the key or on the board itself is fine, although I dig the look of the Keycool CapsLock/NumLock style "windows". Also, I'd like something, should I get more daring, that would be easy to acquire a complete blank key cap set for should I decide to ever go that route. One I've seen that looks pretty nice is the Ducky DK9008P Premier, but I'm not sure that is out yet? I was also looking at the CM Storm Quickfire Rapid as it seems to have decent reviews and is also relatively cheap. What do you guys think?

Thanks for any input. I'm also in awe of the keyboards you guys design and make, particularly the "Brownfox" by Matt3o!

-abjr
CM QFR | magicforce 68 (Gateron) | magicforce 68 (Outemu) | Acros 6311-K

Offline drinkbleach

Re: Hello from CT
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 17:52:42 »
hi, and welcome. I have also finally made an account. 

You should look into the filco majestouch 2 ninja blue switch tenkeyless. I think it fits what your are looking for.

I had a brown and it was great. I used it heavily for a couple of years and it after a quick clean it was like new again.

The side printed caps look cool. You can glance down and see all the letters easily.

Just another option to dwell about. It can be nerve racking to pick a board. Reviews are great but until you are typing on it, it is another story. Like, movie reviews everyone has their own opinion.

Good luck !!

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 17:58:55 »
A fellow Nutmegger! You're officially member #5 from CT (that I'm aware of, myself included).  Beginning to think I should do a CT get-together at some point soon...

Welcome!

If you don't mind me asking, what part of the state are you in?
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline abjr

• abjr.org
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 18:11:01 »
You should look into the filco majestouch 2 ninja blue switch tenkeyless. I think it fits what your are looking for.

Thanks. I will check it out!

A fellow Nutmegger! You're officially member #5 from CT (that I'm aware of, myself included).  Beginning to think I should do a CT get-together at some point soon...

Welcome!

I don't mind at all. I'm in Meriden. You?

Offline esko997

• Linux Lover
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 22:46:07 »
Hey all,

Laughed when I saw this thread -- just joined the forum today and also from CT.
Daily Drivers:  Unicomp Customizer (BS -- Linux Layout) | Vortex Race 3 (Clears)
Other Boards: CM Quickfire Stealth (Greens) | Poker II (Blues) | PLU-ML 87 (Ergo Clears)  | JD40 (Browns) | Leopold FC660C (Topre) | IBM Model M | ErgoDox (Clears) | Sentraq s60x DIY (Blacks) | Anne Pro 2 (Blues) | Cherry G80-11900 (Blacks) | Kira (99 Key) (Hako True)

Offline abjr

• abjr.org
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 09 March 2014, 12:21:15 »
Hey all,

We're invading!

Offline banditsf

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 09 March 2014, 19:38:34 »
Cheers!
Cheers

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 09 March 2014, 20:11:21 »

Welcome!

I don't mind at all. I'm in Meriden. You?

Small town near Torrington, you've probably never heard of... Harwinton.

Hey all,

Welcome #6!
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline abjr

• abjr.org
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 09:41:36 »
Small town near Torrington, you've probably never heard of... Harwinton.

I've lived in CT for almost 40 years now. I know where everything is ;) Plus I had some friends that used to live up in Torrington.

Offline abjr

• abjr.org
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 10:24:46 »
So for now I've decided to just dip my toe in to the waters. I settled on the CM QFR with blues for use at work. I've been using it for a week so far and to be honest, it's taking some time to get used to it. I have used mechanical keyboards off and on in the past, but I think that the keyboard I was using for the past ~3 years, an M$ Wireless 3000, has somewhat ruined my typing. I'm not a "proper" touch typer and I think that the flat keys actually helped my. I'm sure it'll take some time to get into a groove with this keyboard.

I've already got my eyes on a Leopold FC660 and I'd also like to play around with building something, i.e. just a teensy and a few switches, as a learning experience. It's funny how once you start paying attention to your keyboard you become obsessed with it  :p

-abjr

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 11:04:59 »
So for now I've decided to just dip my toe in to the waters. I settled on the CM QFR with blues for use at work. I've been using it for a week so far and to be honest, it's taking some time to get used to it. I have used mechanical keyboards off and on in the past, but I think that the keyboard I was using for the past ~3 years, an M$ Wireless 3000, has somewhat ruined my typing. I'm not a "proper" touch typer and I think that the flat keys actually helped my. I'm sure it'll take some time to get into a groove with this keyboard.

I've already got my eyes on a Leopold FC660 and I'd also like to play around with building something, i.e. just a teensy and a few switches, as a learning experience. It's funny how once you start paying attention to your keyboard you become obsessed with it  :p

-abjr

Welcome to GH, I know it is a little late to say that, but just wanna greet you.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 11:07:16 »

-abjr

Welcome to GH, I know it is a little late to say that, but just wanna greet you.

Ah, and the Leopold 66 is a great little keyboard, well build and the layout very useful, just be aweare that its space bar has special stem's positions, the right shift is also 2.25u and the windows key is 1u, so you will need these keys to be special to fit it.