Author Topic: CST L-trac extra buttons?  (Read 4839 times)

Offline arisian

CST L-trac extra buttons?
« on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 19:20:08 »
So, now that I have a CST L-trac-5w on the way, can anyone here explain to me what I'm going to need to do to make some extra buttons for it?  It should already have the jacks built in, but I'm really more of a software guy, so I'm not quite sure where to start.

I've got basic soldering and assembly experience, but I'm just not sure what pieces I need for this, or how I should put them together.  Do I just get a male-male audio cable and cut it in half for connectors, or do I need to do something fancier?  I clearly need some sort of switches, but I'm not sure what sorts of specs I need to look for.  I know Ripster used cherry MX switches, but I'd really like something I can put right up next to the trackball, so that I can press the buttons without moving my hand (I'll probably put both of them on the "thumb" side, but putting one on either side would also work).  I think that MX switches are going to be tough to mount in a way that makes them ergonomic to use with the trackball; if I'm wrong, let me know, but I'd like something that has a smaller profile, requires low force, and ideally something that will let me attach a custom "keycap" so that I can get something the same height as the trackball, and of a shape I can easily hit with my thumb.  I guess I'll probably try to make a first version out of something like balsawood that's easy to carve, and then try to replace it with something more durable later on.  Do I want some sort of "microswitch?"

Anyway, I'd appreciate any and all help or suggestions on this, and I know that at least a couple of others from the recent massdrop are interested in this subject as well.

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
Re: CST L-trac extra buttons?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 21:00:38 »
If you have an audio patch cable, you can cut it apart and strip the cut part to get the leads.

Alternatively, get two pairs of headphones from the dollar store and cut their cables for the same effect.

You can then test it to see which leads have to be shorted to trigger the button press, and solder said leads into the switch you choose.

I used a pair of MX blues, in a frame built from Meccano.  The angled mount and 1.25x keys on top make it modesrly ergonomic, but I think it might be more comfortable still if it were closer to the case, or embedded in the side of the case.

Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline Grimey

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 11:13:12 »
What scan codes do these send to the OS for the two buttons?
Erlang your pants off

Offline tayot

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 13:57:32 »
If you have an audio patch cable, you can cut it apart and strip the cut part to get the leads.

Alternatively, get two pairs of headphones from the dollar store and cut their cables for the same effect.

You can then test it to see which leads have to be shorted to trigger the button press, and solder said leads into the switch you choose.

I used a pair of MX blues, in a frame built from Meccano.  The angled mount and 1.25x keys on top make it modesrly ergonomic, but I think it might be more comfortable still if it were closer to the case, or embedded in the side of the case.

Show Image

Just noticed your Meccano switch -  what box or kit or part reference is that yellow piece from - I'm looking to make one like yours.

Thanks

Offline tayot

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 15:54:28 »

Show Image

Just noticed your Meccano switch -  what box or kit or part reference is that yellow piece from - I'm looking to make one like yours.

Thanks

Nevermind - actually found a meccano spare parts site - just ordered some to make my switches. If you dont mind - while I wait for my parts to arrive - if you have any more pictures of your button switch from different angles .

Thanks
« Last Edit: Sat, 13 September 2014, 15:56:14 by tayot »