Author Topic: Suggestions for a new career path?  (Read 2463 times)

Offline Exroath

Suggestions for a new career path?
« on: Sat, 15 March 2014, 19:37:48 »
Hey, Basically i'll cut the story short, I having training in 3d art (modelling,texturing , yadayda) but due to a certain training course and a few other life issues, I've really begun to hate everything I've been trying for (This has been a gradual thing nothing spur of the moment).

Basically I feel at 28 I still have time in my life to take a other route. Im thinking something IT based, I started to try out some programming etc. and love the problem solving aspects (pen testing came up it seems fun but its mostly just been aircrack on my own stuff)

Basically I have no idea of the jobs out there anymore.. the internet doesnt really help as much as I would have hoped, However finding myself here it seems people here seem happy with the jobs etc. and paying stupid prices for keyboards :P and keycaps (someone should have warned me about keycap addiction).

Any way.. I'll shut up now and get to the question :P

So anyone have any career paths that I could take a look into? I feel its now or never :P

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
Re: Suggestions for a new career path?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 05:57:56 »
Programming can be great if you find an area that really floats your boat, but it can also be a major drag if you can't find work in that area and have to do other tasks instead.

I kind of fell into it as something I could do and earn money with, but I could think of a lot of other jobs I'd rather be doing. I'm planning a gradual shift in career, too, but away from programming rather than towards it. I'm slowly putting together a CNC machine and want to start using it to make all kinds of stuff. Ideally I'd like to build prototypes of ideas I've had and license out the concepts to large companies. Essentially operate as an inventor / intellectual property licensing company. I'd like to also make guitars and basses, tube amps, etc, in between (high quality, custom, low volume production). Well, enough about me.

You've probably been exposed to the more entertainment-related programming jobs, considering the course you've done (3D graphics programming and game development) and they can be great, but are hard work and can be really technical (require in-depth knowledge of specific technologies like OpenGL or Direct3D). If you are interested in game development, Unity3D is a good platform / system to learn, doesn't require too in-depth technical knowledge and is multi-platform.

There are tons of IT and programming related jobs / titles out there. Database design and maintenance, application architecture / design and development (stand-alone desktop apps, distributed apps, client-server apps), web technologies, etc. Then there's the setting up and maintaining stuff (systems / network administration), setting up PC's, etc. There's also mobile phone development. Mobile stuff can be quite fun and interesting with different sensors, etc, but in most cases will require you to learn a specific programming language for that system (a version of Java for Android, ObjectiveC for iOS, although you can use C++ for both it's better to use the specific languages).

Do you prefer the hardware and setup side of PC's (general IT work), working with existing systems (systems admin), making the system do something cool with minimal code (scripting, some web technologies) or designing and creating a system / application of your own (programming)? That may give some idea of which direction to focus on.

An advantage of many IT related jobs is that you don't NEED to study first (although a degree or certification definitely helps and I would recommend one if you plan to make a long term career in it), you can self-study and then simply prove you can do the required tasks for some jobs.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Online iri

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 06:20:22 »
nowadays there are two fields in software development in which you can make money rather fast: web development and game development. the former has incredibly low entry level, the latter not so much. in the former, monkey coding is often enough, in the latter, you often have to solve complex algorithmical and engineering tasks.

it seems to me that it is not neccessary to possess an advanced degree to get a good programming position nowadays. geekhack user "daerid" has no degree and works for Careers 2.0. usually a B.Sc. is enough, unless you are going to do really serious stuff.

I'd like to also make guitars and basses, tube amps, etc, in between (high quality, custom, low volume production).
sounds like a good idea for finland.
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 March 2014, 06:26:50 by iri »
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 06:46:53 »

nowadays there are two fields in software development in which you can make money rather fast: web development and game development. the former has incredibly low entry level, the latter not so much. in the former, monkey coding is often enough, in the latter, you often have to solve complex algorithmical and engineering tasks.

it seems to me that it is not neccessary to possess an advanced degree to get a good programming position nowadays. geekhack user "daerid" has no degree and works for Careers 2.0. usually a B.Sc. is enough, unless you are going to do really serious stuff.

I work at a company that makes money by ultimately placing programmers at other companies, and my experience is that degrees do not matter in companies with fewer than a thousand employees. Above that and it matters slightly, but is still not a deal breaker. I've seen a competent high school dropout find a gig making >$100k a year. And this is the rule, not the exception: people who want jobs as programmers find them, regardless of formal background.

Online iri

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 06:57:40 »
I've seen a competent high school dropout find a gig making >$100k a year.
in our industry a high school dropout can make >$100M a year.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 07:04:39 »
I've seen a competent high school dropout find a gig making >$100k a year.
in our industry a high school dropout can make >$100M a year.

I think I'm in the wrong industry  ???

Offline vyshane

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 08:37:45 »
iOS and Android development are hot right now. Very much in demand. I also do web development, but when recruiters approach me, it's usually regarding mobile development gigs.

You really do need to love programming though, if you're going to make a career out of it. You'll be signing up for a lifetime of learning. It's going to be a hard slog if you don't enjoy it.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 08:49:55 »
Become a male stripper. Or start hormone therapy, get gender reassignment surgery, and become a female stripper.

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 09:51:34 »
IF I had a chance and I am 28, I would move out of IT and do something totally different for a couple of years, just to try it out - get a fresh look at a different industry. And if I hated that, I believe I can always come back to IT. I know a RMAF officer who came back to IT as a successful project manager and he had a great life experience in a deskbound job and in the army. That is so cool. I often thought I should do beyond IT but alas, it is too late for me to change, having two young kids now.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 12:34:46 »
I wouldn't advice anyone to get into programming as a career path. There is a lot of ageism in the industry. You have to earn enough to last a long while before your are 40, because then they think that you are too old.
🍉

Online iri

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 13:14:57 »
i interviewed a 60+ year programmer a couple of years ago.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 13:16:46 »
If you know how to do 3D modeling/CAD software, have you considered working in an engineering field such as automotive, aerospace, or trains?

Offline Exroath

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 16:17:46 »
If you know how to do 3D modeling/CAD software, have you considered working in an engineering field such as automotive, aerospace, or trains?

I dont know cad software , But that may be an option, I'll look into it.
The main reason I have is that I feel I've taken the easy route in a sense. At school I did well in the sciences , maths and computing but after one year of college I jumped into art (I kinda feel because it was easy, There was no urge to do it).
Other than entertainment, art doesnt do anything worthwhile (Imo), Programming can really change the world (Folding@home etc). Not saying that I will.. more that it feels more challanging and worth while.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far and the warnings, Its really helping me narrow down a field to aim for.  Ageism doesnt worry me, due to the art world being just as bad your exploited when your young then replaced by a younger model when your older :P

The temptation to be a ladyboy stripper however! I may have to have words with the doc :P

Web development sounds appealing, I love the idea of taking something and using it in a completely differnt way than its intended purpose.. So that may be the path to start on, Thanks everyone for replying. I am extremely greatful :D

I've also stumbled onto defcon.. So that will no doubt be my plans for next year. So much looked so intresting!

Again thank you all!

Offline Mandolin

• Crystal Connoisseur
  • * Maker
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 23:13:27 »
Crystals.
Artisan keycap Maker
Working on
More
- Custom keycaps
- Artkeycaps V2 sale
- Due chihuahua and demoncat orders
- Boobiecaps
- Optic fiber embedded keycaps
- Others

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 23:53:30 »
Become a male stripper. Or start hormone therapy, get gender reassignment surgery, and become a female stripper.

Por que no los dos?
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 13:38:05 »
I've also stumbled onto defcon.. So that will no doubt be my plans for next year. So much looked so intresting!

If your interested there are lots of videos from previous years online. Lot's of interesting stuff to watch.

I would love a chance to visit DEFCON some time.