Author Topic: Google Drive Keeps Going Offline?  (Read 17691 times)

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
Google Drive Keeps Going Offline?
« on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 07:25:54 »
Is it just me, or is it happening for others as well? At first it was just the Google Drive for my workplace, but I just tried opening a Google Form that's linked here at GH and it was broken.

This has been happening on and off for about a week now, and it's starting to get annoying, considering a majority of my work-related files are stored in Google Drive/Google Docs.

I'm guessing it has to do with all those recent updates? Maybe?
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 March 2014, 07:42:02 by Computer-Lab in Basement »
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Google Drive Keeps Going Offline?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 07:53:55 »
Everything related to the internet has become incredibly slow, undependable, and frustrating in recent days and weeks.

I have a DSL line with AT&T, but I suspect that the recent Supreme Court ruling allowing internet providers to "play favorites" has caused all the carriers to allow their services to degrade, probably in hopes of selling "upgrades" to frustrated customers.

At least that is what I have "read between the lines" in my service/complaint calls to AT&T and Comcast.

But yes, Google Drive has also been much worse than usual.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 08:15:15 »
Everything related to the internet has become incredibly slow, undependable, and frustrating in recent days and weeks.

I have a DSL line with AT&T, but I suspect that the recent Supreme Court ruling allowing internet providers to "play favorites" has caused all the carriers to allow their services to degrade, probably in hopes of selling "upgrades" to frustrated customers.

At least that is what I have "read between the lines" in my service/complaint calls to AT&T and Comcast.

But yes, Google Drive has also been much worse than usual.

The internet in general hasn't been too bad for me, probably only because cable internet is a bit faster than DSL.

However, occasionally I do get hang-ups when trying to load a web page, it'll take like 30 seconds instead of the usual 2-4 seconds. I get that frequently when I'm on GH at work.

But seriously Google, get your **** together. I want to replace my order for a Sprit 60% PCB, but I can't because Drive is down.

Google should know better than to mess with a GHer and their keyboard related purchases...
tp thread is tp thread

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 08:34:51 »
Blame the NSA, they are getting all they can while the getting is good :P

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 08:36:05 »
Blame the NSA, they are getting all they can while the getting is good :P

When in doubt, it's ALWAYS the governments fault.

A good philosophy to live by...

UPDATE: I'm beginning to think that whatever is causing this Drive failure, Microsoft Windows is behind it...

I just discovered that Drive is "functioning" in IE6, but NOT in Google Chrome.

*facepalm*
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 March 2014, 08:43:35 by Computer-Lab in Basement »
tp thread is tp thread

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 08:52:48 »
ANOTHER UPDATE:

Sorry for the double post, but I think circumstances merit this being in it's own post. Yes, it's that bad...

Turns out the reason Drive isn't working: my workplace is BLOCKING it!

*double facepalm*

They're also blocking Imgur, so pretty much all threads with images look like threads of empty/broken images.

Turns out they're blocking all "personal storage" sites, including Google Drive, Imgur, and Dropbox. Which is monumentally stupid, considering that Drive and Dropbox are two services my company used on a daily basis.

*triple facepalm*

GG IT department, GG...
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 March 2014, 08:55:37 by Computer-Lab in Basement »
tp thread is tp thread

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 11:53:48 »

considering that Drive and Dropbox are two services my company used on a daily basis.

Granted, I work for a very small company, but we pretty much run on Drive and Dropbox.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 12:36:10 »

considering that Drive and Dropbox are two services my company used on a daily basis.

Granted, I work for a very small company, but we pretty much run on Drive and Dropbox.

Most businesses these days use some sort of file sharing/online storage service. Come to think of it, I was the one that suggested to my department that we start using Dropbox in the first place...

Now our IT dept. is screwing everything up. Dropbox is working again but Drive is still on and off.
tp thread is tp thread

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 18:26:15 »
No issues for me but Google was reporting outages yesterday for some of their services.

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 07:33:43 »
Get into work this morning, still having issues.

Beginning to hear more and more people throughout the office complaining about it... and I am 100% certain it's still IT's fault. They can't ever do anything without it blowing up in their faces...
tp thread is tp thread

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 07:54:54 »

Beginning to hear more and more people throughout the office complaining about it... and I am 100% certain it's still IT's fault. They can't ever do anything without it blowing up in their faces...

I believe you can have offline mode too if you download the google app, that said, just download all the files off while you can
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 08:19:34 »

I believe you can have offline mode too if you download the google app, that said, just download all the files off while you can

Unfortunately, we need to stay in online mode, since many of the files we work with are updated daily and need to be synced for everyone who has access to them. Otherwise, that'd be a viable option...

Now it appears they unblocked Imgur, for the time being. Hope they keep it unblocked, GH threads are kinda dull when you can't view 3/4 of the images...
tp thread is tp thread