Author Topic: Which Keycaps To Buy PBT or POM  (Read 2634 times)

Offline Owntrolf

Which Keycaps To Buy PBT or POM
« on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 10:29:05 »
Im going to get my first mechanical keyboard soon a Ducky 2108S    104Keys
Im not sure what keycaps I should get, a set of
-104 PBT Greys      http://www.banggood.com/Keycool-104-PBT-Grey-Laser-Etched-Keycap-Laser-Engraving-Key-Caps-p-84078.html
-87 PBT Whites      http://www.banggood.com/PBT-87-Blank-White-Key-Caps-For-Cherry-MX-Keyboard-p-84084.html
-84 POM Blacks     http://www.banggood.com/POM-84-Set-Blank-Key-Caps-Black-Keycaps-For-Cherry-MX-Keyboard-p-84082.html

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
Re: Which Keycaps To Buy PBT or POM
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 11:39:02 »
POM is the jam. It gets almost no love anywhere but it is by far my favorite type of plastic for caps.

It is just so fast.
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 11:39:50 »
I also vote POM. I really like how they feel.

Offline jorgenslee

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 11:45:16 »
Be careful though with the POM keycaps in banggood. I purchase one and use it on my TK, it was too tight that I was able to pull the stem along with the keycap. I am still finding a way to loosen it as I really want to try POM caps.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 11:47:53 »
I've unfortunately not tried POM yet. I had a set of the Banggood caps for a while, but never used them because I heard they were tight and I would be putting them on MX clears, the stems of which are also known for being tight.

There was a GB for some POM caps at one point, but if I remember correctly it didn't get enough interest to meet MOQ.

So to answer your question: I don't know! But the Banggood PBT isn't very high quality.

Offline Owntrolf

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 11:57:31 »
So how tight are the POM keycaps on black switches

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 11:58:28 »
So how tight are the POM keycaps on black switches

I have a set of Cherry lasered POM caps on my Epsilon which has 65g Blacks. The cap tightness is fine. I haven't had any issues.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 12:02:16 »
I prefer the feel of PBT

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 12:08:55 »
I wonder for some time if POM is a good plastic for caps. It was very interesting to read about the issue of tightness. I have a set, but I am only using the space bar and it feels very very nice to the touch. It has not get any shine yet, after like three months now.

Offline Owntrolf

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 12:20:59 »
Well I just ordered some POM keycaps on Banggood

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 12:23:07 »
You may want to let us know how is your experience with them, after you got them.

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 13:39:31 »
Yes, please! Interested to hear more about POM caps

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 14:58:19 »
I would buy the POM Alphas from Signature Plastics if i wanted to try POM. 18$ for the best alpha set of caps i have come across and i own way to many keycap sets.

http://keyshop.pimpmykeyboard.com/product/cherry-g81-3000-keycaps-original-laser-etched-keys

I buy American. the only problem with the signature plastics offering is they dont include mods. never had an issue with the caps being tight though. but then again i dont buy crud from banggood.

i use mine with some GMK purple mods i bought from ivan. total titties. it is my work board and daily driver. i have gone to other caps and profiles but i always come back to these POM alphas. they are just too awesome.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 15:22:17 »
I would buy the POM Alphas from Signature Plastics if i wanted to try POM. 18$ for the best alpha set of caps i have come across and i own way to many keycap sets.

http://keyshop.pimpmykeyboard.com/product/cherry-g81-3000-keycaps-original-laser-etched-keys

I buy American. the only problem with the signature plastics offering is they dont include mods. never had an issue with the caps being tight though. but then again i dont buy crud from banggood.

i use mine with some GMK purple mods i bought from ivan. total titties. it is my work board and daily driver. i have gone to other caps and profiles but i always come back to these POM alphas. they are just too awesome.

And how do you know that these caps are made of POM? I am sorry, maybe I missed the information, but I did not find any reference in the page.

Offline Owntrolf

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 16:14:08 »

And how do you know that these caps are made of POM? I am sorry, maybe I missed the information, but I did not find any reference in the page.
I could probably care less, Banggood free shipping ftw, I'm Canadian
USA->Canada is too much welp

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 16:18:51 »
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 16:49:40 »

because they are POM. that is how i know they are POM.