Author Topic: [IC] ErgoDox Case  (Read 2642 times)

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
[IC] ErgoDox Case
« on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 20:56:17 »
looking to find out if we even have enough owners to meet any kind of MOQ.  If you have a dox and would be interested in an aluminum case let me know. i will dedicate thought and time for this if we can get enough people.

to help meet a MOQ i think the design should be full hand since most people have the 'classic' style already. but i am open to whatever interests the most amount of people.
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline lcs

• Lover of Grape Drank
  • はやく
Re: [IC] ErgoDox Case
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 21:17:17 »
Do you mean that by having a classic case I could use the plate layer with a full hand? If yes and depending on the price I'd be interested.

Offline justnits

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 21:18:54 »
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=53013.0 - IC
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55651.0 - GB R1 Conus only

isn't there an IC turned GB (production) for aluminium/ss case (or sheets)already?
unless yours is a different approach...
| | | |
Ducky DK9008 Shine 2 Gateron Red w/ Korean 55g gold lubed spring & custom LED | Ergodox with Aluminium top plate | IBM Model M SSK | GHPad | GON's Nerd TKL | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL MX Blue
[Sold]Keycool 87 PBT White Cherry MX Blue | [Sold]ikbc F-104 Cherry MX Brown

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 21:32:45 »
I think this for a CNC milled aluminum two-piece plus plate design?
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline tbc

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 22:25:28 »
VERY interested in cnc milled case IF it is low profile.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 22 March 2014, 00:35:44 »
yeah CNC would beat my design any day.

I'll have to bow out since, even if I make a second 'dox I'll need to go the cheapest route -- already getting flak for what I'm spending now ;-) But I have yet to make my matias-based 60%, so I can't quit just yet.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline PrepFast17

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 11:48:27 »
Ive been getting quotes on ergodox cnc'd cases with anodizing, its definitely not cheap for a small run. ive been quoted 4700 shipped for 25 of the 2 part cases, 180 a piece. im not sure the price breaks i can definitely still ask but i want this case over the others. i will continue to inquire but the only problem is im having a hard time converting the .stl files to .stp or IGES, as thats what everyone is asking for but im no CAD user. if anyone knows CAD and can convert them please let me know, i have about 15 suppliers i cant get quotes from due to my file type.

Edit- Ive contacts the original case designer in hopes to acquire the file needed. lets cross our fingers because then we can get some lower numbers!
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 March 2014, 13:18:20 by PrepFast17 »

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 20:34:27 »
Ive been getting quotes on ergodox cnc'd cases with anodizing, its definitely not cheap for a small run. ive been quoted 4700 shipped for 25 of the 2 part cases, 180 a piece. im not sure the price breaks i can definitely still ask but i want this case over the others. i will continue to inquire but the only problem is im having a hard time converting the .stl files to .stp or IGES, as thats what everyone is asking for but im no CAD user. if anyone knows CAD and can convert them please let me know, i have about 15 suppliers i cant get quotes from due to my file type.

Edit- Ive contacts the original case designer in hopes to acquire the file needed. lets cross our fingers because then we can get some lower numbers!

wow. awesome. thanks for that info and let us know.  however i have a feeling the cost and low participants is going to:

|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline PrepFast17

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 21:48:38 »
most definitely,if we could drop price down to about 100 it should have no problem taking off. ive started asking what it would cost bare because i learned anodizing is EXTREMELY CHEAP!!!!! http://www.caswellplating.com/electroplating-anodizing/anodizing-products/anodizing-kits.html     is a kit designed to get you started but you could source all the parts quite cheaply. so i will keep up the work im just hoping dox gets back to me with the original .step file because that is what most cnc machines work with i guess

Offline PrepFast17

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 17:10:00 »
So i have converted the .stl files from the website to .igs which cnc machiners can use, but i cannot post it to page for some reason so if you want please send me a pm so i can get it to you. I am back on the hunt for a better cnc price